Sign in to follow this  
Michael Dietz

How to enter a certain attribute of a new bride

This is a simple lighthearted question. I am looking at an index of marriage licenses issued in Canterbury, England, in 1587. The index has the abbreviations "s.p. v." under the prospective bride's name. According to the explanation of abbreviations in the book the s.p. signifies she resides in the same parish as the prospective groom, no problem there. That becomes a residence tag. However the v. signifies she is a virgin which I assume to mean she was never married.

My question is what kind of custom tag should I generate for this bit of data?

Thank you for any suggestions.

Mike

Mike,

I think the first question when considering who to enter anything is "Why are you entering this?" How do you want to use the data? Do you think it's useful for research? Do you think it would be interesting in reports or a website? What kind of output do you favor? Is it the fact that it was reported of interest, or your conclusion about a prior marriage?

You could enter it as a comment in her Marriage tag, in an Anecdote Tag, or in the CD of the Citation. Which is best depends on your objective.

Mike,

I think the first question when considering who to enter anything is "Why are you entering this?" How do you want to use the data? Do you think it's useful for research? Do you think it would be interesting in reports or a website? What kind of output do you favor? Is it the fact that it was reported of interest, or your conclusion about a prior marriage?

You could enter it as a comment in her Marriage tag, in an Anecdote Tag, or in the CD of the Citation. Which is best depends on your objective.

Thank you Terry for the answer. In the second volume of the series which runs from around 1619 on the term has been changed to Maiden and they are now listing Batchelor for the males. So it is of some interest in showing the person had never been married at the time of the issuance of the license. It just struck me a little funny as to the term used in 1587.

Mike