Major

change ID Numbers

I have just used Explorer to isolate those persons only directly related to my line and exported them to a GED file.

After creating a new project I then imported those persons but on quite a few the ID number did not import / export? as it was in the original database.

Is there any way I can change the ID Number on those persons affected?

I use the ID number on other sources such as my web site.

cheers

major

Major,

Yes, you can change the ID#s of individual people - use Renumber People on the Tools menu.

But, you should never export to GEDCOM and re-import back into TMG - you can loose a lot of data that way, since much data stored in TMG cannot be exported to GEDCOM. Instead, use the Secondary Output of the List of People report to create a new Project with selected people. You can use the Project Explorer, Focus Group, or a Filter to select the people.

Major,

Yes, you can change the ID#s of individual people - use Renumber People on the Tools menu.

But, you should never export to GEDCOM and re-import back into TMG - you can loose a lot of data that way, since much data stored in TMG cannot be exported to GEDCOM. Instead, use the Secondary Output of the List of People report to create a new Project with selected people. You can use the Project Explorer, Focus Group, or a Filter to select the people.

Many thanks Terry for your quick reply.

The reason I used Gedcom was to deliberately wipe all data as well so that I can re-input my sources. Having updated from several previous Genealogy software programs a lot of my data was corrupt or no longer relevant.

I now have a "clean sheet" of only those persons that are relevant to my own branch.

Thanks again

Major

You're welcome, Major,

I have to admit I'd never thought of that process for a cleanup, but I suppose it works. I assume you omitted sources when you exported. Sources are one of the main areas that are corrupted by a GEDCOM export, so if that wasn't a concern, nothing is lost. Other areas common areas a custom Sentences and Witnesses; if you had not made use of these features there is nothing there to be lost by the process either.

You're welcome, Major,

I have to admit I'd never thought of that process for a cleanup, but I suppose it works. I assume you omitted sources when you exported. Sources are one of the main areas that are corrupted by a GEDCOM export, so if that wasn't a concern, nothing is lost. Other areas common areas a custom Sentences and Witnesses; if you had not made use of these features there is nothing there to be lost by the process either.

Hi Terry

Yes I omitted the sources on the export and it is looking good. I have now isolated the 902 records that have a direct link. Having recently consolidated my sources (including copies of the 1911 census records) I can now start to use the program as it is meant to be used by entering each resource and associating each person to that source. I am looking forward to that as I like to be organised in what I do.

cheers again

Cliff Rigby (Major)