Badger

Same Census info in all my household

I'm researching my Irish roots at the moment and want to put the same tag with the same information (address, citation, date of census) on all the people in the household. Is there a quick way to do this as my ancestors had many children and before I add and fill out a tag 11 times, I thought I'd ask.

Many thanks

Time to use the witness function.

Witness = other individuals associated with an event

Add the head of household as P1 and link the other household members as witnesses to the same tag.

For the tag type, you can create roles for Head of Household and for Member of Household if you wish and create appropriate sentences and then use the roles as appropriate.

Read the Tag Type Definition Roles and Sentences and Data Entry / Events help topics (use the help index).

Angela -

The witness feature is often recommended for censuses, but there is a way to add multiple copies of a tag if you choose that route: Add / Copy Tag. You add the tag for one person then use Copy tag for each other person, editing the copied tag to change the principal ID number and to modify the data for that person.

Virginia

Many thanks for your suggestions. I've just tried the copy tag and previously I didn't know why I couldn't just go to the another family member record and paste, but now you have explained about changing the ID on the copy, it works...Yipee.

I'll have to study the witness feature to find out if that's a better route as I just thought the witness thing was just a place to put a witness to a marriage or such.

I'm really just beginning to use TMG properly as I now have time to work on my family tree, so again many thanks for your help.

Angela

Sorry, me again

I've just tried the witness feature and that works also, but one thing would be nice and I'm sure there is a way to do it.

There seems only the option to either set "Witness" "Head of Household" "Member of Household" etc. Is it possible to set these options to have "wife" "son" etc.?

I have tried to do this with the help screen and got into the "Tag Type Definition" by F4 but, I'm not sure if I'm in the correct place because when I went to add my new options in Census 1901, the only options already there did not include "Head of Household". The other question will of course be, do I need to go through all the Census labels e.g. Census 1851, Census 1861 etc. and change them individually?

Many thanks for your patience with me.

Angela

Edited by Angela

I've just tried the witness feature and that works also, but one thing would be nice and I'm sure there is a way to do it.

There seems only the option to either set "Witness" "Head of Household" "Member of Household" etc. Is it possible to set these options to have "wife" "son" etc.?

Angela,

These are called "Roles," and as you found there are a few of them included with standard Tag Types (you are apparently using the UK edition - these Roles are not present in the US Edition). You can add as many Roles as you like to each Tag Type. You may find my Tutorial on Creating and Applying Roles helpful.

Note that there are two aspects at play here. The name of the Role identifies the person's place in the event for you on the TMG screens, but does not appear in most reports. There is an associated Sentence (which you have to create if you add new Roles) that provides appropriate text in narrative style reports.

I have tried to do this with the help screen and got into the "Tag Type Definition" by F4 but, I'm not sure if I'm in the correct place because when I went to add my new options in Census 1901, the only options already there did not include "Head of Household". The other question will of course be, do I need to go through all the Census labels e.g. Census 1851, Census 1861 etc. and change them individually?

You do add Roles on the "Roles and Sentences" tab of the Tag Type Definition screen. They are specific to Tag Types, so you must add them to each different Tag Type. In the UK edition there are different Tag Types for each census year, as you note, and you would need to modify each one to add new Roles to them. The US only includes one standard Tag Type for Census, but many users create separate ones for each year. Because of the differing information on the various censuses, different Roles are required for different years.

Note that there are two aspects of using Witnesses for Census tags. The first is that you avoid adding the same data repeatedly for each member of the household, and the default Roles accomplish that (this is an alternative to creating one Tag and copying it, as Virginia described). The second is that you have the ability to list all the other members of the household in Narrative reports. The default Sentences in the US edition don't do that; I don't recall whether those in the UK edition do. The process is described in the article I mentioned above, and the one specific to Census that I mentioned in an earlier post in this topic.

Many thanks Terry

I have just looked on your tutorial mentioned and with the screen shots, you make it very clear and easy to apply. Although I looked before, I couldn't find it as I didn't know they were called "Roles", pretty obvious really.

Anyways, many thanks again.

Angela