Years ago with Windows XP, we could file share, both working on TMG at same time. Then came Vista, nightmare, no more file sharing. We were told when Windows 7 came out, all would change. Well, it hasn't for us. So, we now use other software, and can't file share. This makes me unhappy. Is TMG capable to file share with Windows 7 or am I wasting my time?

Raleigh -

I moved your message from the User Groups United States forum to the v7 Support Forum. I see you asked the same question about a year ago - but had no reply. Perhaps someone will have suggestions for you this time.

Virginia

Hi Raleigh,

Years ago with Windows XP, we could file share, both working on TMG at same time.

I doubt TMG is designed for sharing. Even when it *seems* to work (as you did in Windows XP) aou are lucky when you do not destroy your database. Sharing (multiple users working on the same database at the same time) needs more than being able to to access the files.

Every program that uses a database (whichever it may be) buffers data to reduce disk accesses. So, the state on disk and that seen by the user may be different. And look at this: you "read" a persons data and your wife does the same (on another computer). Then you modify the birth date and write back. Yopur wife is a bit slower and modifies the death date and writes back. What will happen? The last one wins - you will loose the modified birth date. An it may be even worse. You cannot control when the program flushes the data onto disk (also valid for indexes which is "behind the scenes"). If program 1 writes back (modifies) some part of an index or data, program 2 modifies another part it may happen that the database (index and/or data) gets corrupted and inaccessible.

Multiple users working on the same database at the same time needs a mechanism that protects the database against the above mentionned problems. Programs must be designed for that (using record locking, transactions, ...). I doubt that TMG is designed for that. Otherwise they would have put this feature on the list of strong points.

Regards

Helmut

(36 years of experience in EDP, 20 years working with databases)

Raleigh,

Yes, TMG is designed for file sharing, at it works on Windows 7. Two users can access the same Project, but if they try to access the same individual record (say a Tag or a Source Definition) TMG will only let the second one open a "read only" copy, not an editable copy.

I too find setting up file sharing in Windows 7 a pain, especially if some of the computers on the network are not using Windows 7. Are you able to share other types of files?

Terry,

Yes, TMG is designed for file sharing, at it works on Windows 7. Two users can access the same Project, but if they try to access the same individual record (say a Tag or a Source Definition) TMG will only let the second one open a "read only" copy, not an editable copy.

That is interesting, I did not assume that. Because in normal case, you need to have a database server (not necessarily on another machine, but at least an own process), normally apart from the client (the application program).

Helment,

No, you just have to have network access (file sharing) established between the two computers. Keep the files on one of them, and access it across the network from the other. This assumes local (LAN) sharing. Long distance sharing has been done, but is much more difficult.

Helment,

No, you just have to have network access (file sharing) established between the two computers. Keep the files on one of them, and access it across the network from the other. This assumes local (LAN) sharing. Long distance sharing has been done, but is much more difficult.

I 'share' my data across an XP PC and a Win7 Laptop via Dropbox. It works very well.

If both are on, there is an option in Dropbox that allows LAN updates which are obviously quicker than WAN

Even with 40 or so files to update each 'save' or 'exit' from the program, I find it very quick even if one or the other machine is turned off.

Also means I can take the laptop to work and use it over lunch break if I need to and be bang up to date.

The nice feature of course, is that wherever you work, it picks up from where you left off regardless of which you use, whereas other methods don't do this for me. (IE you can be looking at different individuals on different PC's!!)

There is a bit of tweaking needs to be done with file paths as XP and Win7 are different, but is works a treat for me

--

Neil Grantham wrote:

I 'share' my data across an XP PC and a Win7 Laptop via Dropbox. It works very well.

--

Neil, that sounds interesting - I have wanted to do something like that.

How do organize your exhibits?

The easiest solution would be to include them in Dropbox. But then you have to have the same folder structure and folder names on both machines.

Do you include all the different TMG-files in Dropbox?

Rgds, Jesper