Linda (Babbin) Jones

Name variations in a list of people?

I'd like to have people with different versions of their names show up as separate entries in the List of People just like they do in the picklist. So if I have a Charles Pierre who also goes by the name of Pierre, I have a primary name and a name variation, and I can find them in the picklist by either name. But the List of People doesn't work that way--or I don't know how to make it do that.

Is there a way?

You may be able to get what you want from a List of Names report.

Hi, Terry-

Thanks for the suggestion. Unfortunately, in a list of names report I can't create a filter that includes places, so that wouldn't be what I need. Now, if the List of Names report would use the filters I created for the List of People reports, we'd be in gravy. But it won't.

Linda

Why don't you just use the Project Explorer? If you need to work through the list editing people, you can use the result to make a focus group and work through the focus group.

Your filter would be:

Any Event... with the required place or place part.

The Project Explorer and Pick Lists are lists of names with a set of filters similar to the List of People. The result can show all names.

Unfortunately, in a list of names report I can't create a filter that includes places, so that wouldn't be what I need. Now, if the List of Names report would use the filters I created for the List of People reports, we'd be in gravy. But it won't.
Actually it will, Linda, sort of. :wink:

Create a custom temporary Flag, maybe called LOP, with a default of 'N'. Now run your List of People report with your desired filter, but don't create the report. Instead, set the Flag to 'Y' for these people on the Secondary Output Options of the report. Now simply run your List of Names report with a filter of "Subject... // LOP // = Equals // Y // END". That will produce all the names, but based on the List of People filter.

Hope this gives you ideas,

Why don't you just use the Project Explorer? If you need to work through the list editing people, you can use the result to make a focus group and work through the focus group.

Your filter would be:

Any Event... with the required place or place part.

Thanks for the suggestion, but as far as I can see, you have to add people individually to a focus group, which is not practical. (You can add their ancestors and descendants automatically, but that doesn't help me.) I'm not finding focus groups to be nearly as effective as filters, when I'm dealing with thousands of people.

Also, I don't see a way to list spouses on the same line as the individual in Project Explorer--that's one of the huge advantages of the List of People. I also list their date and place of birth in the LOP. All stuff that helps me determine if this is the correct Joseph Babin out of the 240 Joseph Babins in the database.

Create a custom temporary Flag, maybe called LOP, with a default of 'N'. Now run your List of People report with your desired filter, but don't create the report. Instead, set the Flag to 'Y' for these people on the Secondary Output Options of the report. Now simply run your List of Names report with a filter of "Subject... // LOP // = Equals // Y // END". That will produce all the names, but based on the List of People filter.

Hmmm....you're definitely giving me ideas, and I'm sure that in the long run, I'll be doing something like this.

My reservation about this approach is that I currently am working in about 12 counties, and I rerun each LOP two or three times a day, because I'm adding up to 100 people each day, and editing others, so as I find new babies and I'm looking for the appropriate parents to see if they're already in the list, I need a report that includes everybody up to that moment. So this would be a lot more time-consuming than it is now, where I just select a LOP that I've already defined and hit "create report."

Oh, and wait a minute, I just checked the output options and I can't include the spouse name in the List of Names report. So that makes it way less useful when I'm trying to find the Joseph who married a Madeleine--very important when you're trying to find a baby's parents.

Thanks for the suggestion, but as far as I can see, you have to add people individually to a focus group, which is not practical.

Go back and read what I wrote.

1) You filter the Project Explorer to select the names you wish.

2) You add all names in the Project Explorer to the focus group in one step using the right-click menu.

You can add the spouses for all people in the focus group with one click.

You can save the focus group under a name of your choice if you wish.

Go back and read what I wrote.

That's a little harsh. You were rather cryptic, and I didn't understand that I could use a complex filter for the Project Explorer. The little icons on the page aren't all that obvious, either.

This seems like it could be a useful tool, but I don't like having to click on each person to see his/her spouse. It also doesn't let me specify that I want one generation of ancestors, and it doesn't display the birthplace. I don't see any way to display more fields.

But what I think could be kind of cool, is that it's not a report, and therefore updates dynamically, like the picklist. It that right? If I add more people that meet the criteria, they will be in the list the next time I look at it?

If the Project Explorer is filtered and you add a person that meets the filter criteria, that person will be added to the Project Explorer list. Also note that you can save Project Explorer filters and load them when you need them.

Additions to a focus list must be made by you.

Make use of TMG help. Once you get the hang of it, there is a huge amount of information available.

This seems like it could be a useful tool, but I don't like having to click on each person to see his/her spouse. It also doesn't let me specify that I want one generation of ancestors, and it doesn't display the birthplace. I don't see any way to display more fields.

Hi Linda,

I am not clear what list you are looking at that doesn't seem to have the features you want? I think you mean the Project Explorer (PE)? Or was it the Focus Group (FG), or the Picklist?

If it is the PE or FG, then I agree that there is no way to display more fields. And the PE only shows all descendants of a person, not any ancestors (e.g. parents).

However, have you looked at the various options for the Picklist, especially the Expanded Picklist? (Check your Preferences // Program Options // Lists to be sure you have the Expanded picklist chosen. For details see the Help topic "Expanded Picklist".)

The Expanded Picklist can be filtered the same as the Project Explorer, and you can "load" saved complex filters just like the PE. In "Column Mode" it can show the spouse and the parents, but no further ancestors or children. If you choose the Event List mode, you can use the Options to select which tags will show when you highlight a person, such as their parents, children, birth, etc. And if you include the Birth tag it will show the birthplace. But you can only get parents and children, not any further ancestors, nor all descendants like the PE.

But what I think could be kind of cool, is that it's not a report, and therefore updates dynamically, like the picklist. It that right? If I add more people that meet the criteria, they will be in the list the next time I look at it?

As Jim mentioned, both the Picklist and the PE are updated dynamically. But the FG is not. However, if you add a person to the FG and now (re)save that FG, then they will be in the list the next time you load that FG, regardless of whether they (now) meet the criteria. Thus each list is different and has its different uses.

I am not clear what list you are looking at that doesn't seem to have the features you want? I think you mean the Project Explorer (PE)? Or was it the Focus Group (FG), or the Picklist?

If it is the PE or FG, then I agree that there is no way to display more fields. And the PE only shows all descendants of a person, not any ancestors (e.g. parents).

Yes, we were talking about the PE. And thanks for confirming that it doesn't display all the information I'm looking for. I was pretty sure that was true.

However, have you looked at the various options for the Picklist, especially the Expanded Picklist?

I hadn't look at the expanded picklist in a long time, and I just checked it out. You're right--it has a lot more information than the simple picklist. I'll switch to that from now on. Thanks so much for the suggestion!

Linda

I hadn't look at the expanded picklist in a long time, and I just checked it out. You're right--it has a lot more information than the simple picklist. I'll switch to that from now on. Thanks so much for the suggestion!

Keep in mind that the Expanded Picklist has two variants. The Event List mode shows all of a person's tags.