Sign in to follow this  
Bronners

Unable to Preview Reports

After a long break from genealogy I have opened up TMG again. I have the gold edition of Version 6.07 and Windows XP and Word 2000. We have a Mac in addition to the Windows computer, but do not wish to run Windows on the Mac. There is currently no printer connected to the Windows computer. Is this why I am having trouble trying to preview reports? When saving, for example, a Journal report, I get the message "----does not appear to be valid PJC file." I have been frightened off by Version 6 having started with Version 4 (or earlier?) and would be grateful for any advice.

A system default printer must be assigned for reports and report preview to work.

The 'not a valid .PJC' message should appear when trying to open a project, not when running a report.

TMG4 data sets cannot be opened with TMG6. They can be imported to TMG6.

If you are going to run TMG6, you should run 'Check for an Update' and update the installation to the final stable version of TMG6... v6.12.

TMG6 should not be run under WinVista or Win7.

If you continue to have issues, you should contact Support.

A system default printer must be assigned for reports and report preview to work.

The 'not a valid .PJC message should appear when trying to open a project, not when running a report.

TMG4 data sets cannot be opened with TMG6. They can be imported to TMG6.

If you are going to run TMG6, you should run 'Check for an Update' and update the installation to the final stable version of TMG6... v6.12.

TMG6 should not be run under WinVista or Win7.

If you continue to have issues, you should contact Support.

Thank you very much Jim. The 'genealogy computer' is not connected to the internet either! No printer and no internet at this stage. I have some decisions to make.

I have no problems at all in opening any project, only when wanting to preview a report. Many thanks for your advice.

Will it download to an Apple computer though?

Yes. You can download the file and copy it to a CD or thumb drive, and then use that to transfer it to your PC.

You don't actually need a physical printer installed to create preview reports, but just need a printer driver installed (TMG uses this to compute margins, etc.). It doesn't matter what printer you "install" so long as there is a default printer seen by Windows. As I recall you can go through the printer install procedure, and when Windows fails to find a printer connected you can select one from the list offered. I've done it in the distant past but forgotten the details. If you have difficultly perhaps someone can recall the details.

Will it download to an Apple computer though?

Yes. You can download the file and copy it to a CD or thumb drive, and then use that to transfer it to your PC.

You don't actually need a physical printer installed to create preview reports, but just need a printer driver installed (TMG uses this to compute margins, etc.). It doesn't matter what printer you "install" so long as there is a default printer seen by Windows. As I recall you can go through the printer install procedure, and when Windows fails to find a printer connected you can select one from the list offered. I've done it in the distant past but forgotten the details. If you have difficultly perhaps someone can recall the details.

Thank you. Sorry for the late response but I had to go interstate at a moment's notice and have just returned.

I have now installed a printer. I have also downloaded the tmg6setup.exe file to a stick. BUT when trying to back up a data set from my current TMG v 6.07 (Gold) to a stick, I get the message 'E:\Other Sampey 2011-11-02 20-08-23.sqz does not appear to be valid PJC file'. This means I can't backup my files before installing the latest version of TMG6. I copied narrative reports in Word onto the Mac from the PC when we changed over computers and also any other information I had collected and placed in My Documents. (We have Office on the Mac).

I am wondering what to do next. Also, when installing the above file from the stick, will there be guidance? It's been a while!

I would be grateful for any advice.

Don't backup to the usb flash drive. Backup to your hard drive and then copy the file to the usb drive.

It does look like your .PJC file might be corrupted. Please send the .PJC file from your project folder to me and I'll take a look.

You can contact me by email by clicking on the link below.

Jim Byram

Don't backup to the usb flash drive. Backup to your hard drive and then copy the file to the usb drive.

It does look like your .PJC file might be corrupted. Please send the .PJC file from your project folder to me and I'll take a look.

You can contact me by email by clicking on the link below.

Jim Byram

Thanks Jim. I will try that.