Bob Hammersley

How do I Report/Output Specific Tags for People

Hi All

I didn't realise there was a page 2 to this discussion so to add, I do use the witness on census entries as it is so much quicker than giving everyone an individual census entry. I produced my report using "people" 1st setting new census flags, I for each census entry. Then running a report, without output, using a filter to find all people with a tag entry for each individual census and the secondary output to change the flag to "Y". This will pick up individual census entries and witness census entries. I then just have to run report to change census flags for people born after last census date and people who have died before each census date, this time changing flags to "X" What is left is all people who should have a census entry but haven't or people with no census entry and no death date.

Finally I run 2 reports of all people on project. First with output of "ID Number" "Name Group*Tag, Last, Given Names" "Census 1841#1" through to "Census 1901#1" (9 column max), then with again Id and name, but this time with"Census 1911#1" and also dob, dod and birth place. these 2 are output to excel. I then can copy and past the extra columns of census 1911 and birth dates etc. onto the 1st excel report. I then do a conditional format on the whole excel for cell data not equal to "?" and format in a light blue. I then have a very clear report as to who has census dates missing.

So, just 1 thing would make it perfect. Is it possible to flag everyone with a new flag of "relation" anyone who is not directly related to me. I have the "relation >" tag showing but can't find this on any report as an option.

Many thanks to all, for getting me this far.

Angela,

Only Flags can be used directly in Filters, not Tags. I think what you need is to create what is commonly called a "related-by" Flag. Different users define the details of such a Flag differently, but basically it's a way to mark with a Flag how closely everyone is related to a given individual.

My definition of a Related-by Flag and a method to create it is described in my Creating a "Related-by" Flag article.

Once you have one created I think you will also find it very handy to use for Accents, so you can color-code everyone according to how the are related.

Oh, that really is excellent. I followed the instructions then ran my census reports again, this time using my new "relation" tab on my 2nd report. I used "X" instead of "M" so that I could sort my excel, by relation. All the "X"'s were at the end and I just dragged and copied all the "X" relation column across the census dated. The only people i now have showing, not blocked in colour, are the people without dobs or dods and those who need looking up on the census.

Many many thanks Terry, does life get any better than this?... oh yeah, I could win the lottery, but having my census excel sorted is definately a big plus.

Edited by Angela

QUOTE (Virginia Blakelock @ 25 Nov 2011, 10:05 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Vernon -

That census table format is a non-standard use of TMG and I don't necessarily recommend it. I use TMG primarily for research - with tabular output only (Family Group Sheets, Individual Detail reports, one-page charts) rather than narrative output like Journal reports which I expect 99% of TMG users prefer. My tabular format uses Copy Tag and split memos for a census - where each person in the census has their own census tag - instead of the Witness feature which is the more conventional way to enter census data.
--------
So, Virginia, is there a way to create a report that is similar to your table output? I just want a report very much like your tabular report, that shows each census year recorded for a person, and the people listed with that person. I don't want a narrative output either.
It's way too late to go back and start redoing all the census entries for my families since I have them listed as a witness. But it sure seems there should be a way to print a report that would be similar to the Census tag entry screen where you list the husband and wife as primaries and the other people as witnesses.
This may be in the other answers, but if so, they were not quite basic enough for me. LOL
Thanks!
Betsy

Hi, Betsy,

I mentioned this earlier in this thread, but it was kind of buried in my long post.

Run a seldom mentioned report, the List of Witnesses report (LOW), which will list everyone linked to a tag since TMG also considers the two Principals as witnesses. The filter for the LOW might be:

Tag Type...  // Label  // Begins with // CENSUS // END

Use whatever filter will identify all your census tags. I used "Begins with" as an example since many people have separate custom census tags for each year. For Output Columns for your purposes I recommend at least:

Tag Type Label

Date

Prin1 ID

Prin1 Last, Given

Witness Last, Given

State

County

How you sort will be up to your desires for the report. You could sort first on Date, or first on Tag Type Label, or first on Prin1 ID, or first on location, etc. For example, if you want things grouped chronologically by Census film I might sort first on State, then on County, then on the Date, then on Prin1 ID. This would put all the census tags for the same location and date together, and group together all the lines of both the Principals and Witnesses from each tag with the same Prin1. You will get one line in the report for each person attached to the tag. The key is to always include Prin1 ID as one of the sort columns so people linked to the same tag will be together. This report can either be output to a file, or to a spreadsheet.

Hope this gives you ideas,