Sign in to follow this  
M.A.Waldmann

backup-SQZ-file without external exhibits

Hello everyone,

first: please be patient with my english-writing, because I'm from germany and it is not my native language. I try to explain my questions as good as possible for me.

I have two problems to make complete backup of my TMG-project. I use TMG 7.04 gold.

My project have 3974 persons with 5854 Names and 7567 external Exhibit-links.

The problem is about the Exhibit-links:

My project is filed in "H:\family\database\" and have app. 26 MB.

I have 1392 Files with Documents and Pictures in a small Tree "H:\family\database\pictures\" and "H:\family\database\sources\". These Files are linked 7567 times into the TMG-project as "external exhibit". All files are together app. 140 MB)

The big problem for me:

I start a backup and in step 3 I have the first two fields - "project-data-files" and "external exhibit" I suppose -(in german "Projekt Daten-Dateien" and "Externe Exponate") activatet.

My backup-file "yyy.sqz" from a few month ago include every linked file and I can open it out of the Squeeze-file correctly.

But the last few days I've tried several times do backup my project again completely like some month ago. It works, but there are no Exhibition-files. To control the reason

- I've looked, if there are exhibition-links are broken (the frown Smilie), no problems

- I started the VFI-Tool and everything was fine,

- I've tried to backup only the project-files

- I've looked into the "list of external exhibits.log" - seems to be correct

- I've started to backup on drive C: and on drive h:. The second one is another HDD in my PC, the same where I store all of my project. But no difference within the backups

- I've searched a solution in as many forum-topics as I could find.

Now I'm haven't got any more idea. It's clear for me, that I can backup my exhibit-files in my Windows-tree manually. So there's no real reason to be nervous about the security of my work. But why is the backup so different to the backups a few month ago?

What are my mistakes? I don't understand, which switch I can use to give TMG the right command to backup all (!) of my project-files - inculding the sources and pictures.

Is there a possibillity that I have to activate the Option "save a preview of external exhibit" in the project-options?

Another problem while I backup my project: every time I get a message like "OLE exception error: Exception code c0000005. OLE object may be corrupt", but every time about another file: This time a timeline-file, another time a border-file or a project-dbf-file and so on.

I select "ignore" and the backup continues. (But my fearly question is "is my backup now" defective? Will it be possible, in case of emergency restore my project? IMHO this is the main reason for a backup!)

Please: Is the anyone, who can help me to secure my work completely like I did some month ago?

Thankful greetings

Mark A. Waldmann

- Hannover - Germany -

If your exhibits are in more than one folder location or are stored in a tree (i.e., multiple folders), then you need to manage them outside of TMG. TMG cannot restore exhibits to more than one folder. In other words, backup and secure your exhibits by using a utility outside of TMG.

Is there a possibillity that I have to activate the Option "save a preview of external exhibit" in the project-options?

That should have no effect.

Another problem while I backup my project: every time I get a message like "OLE exception error: Exception code c0000005.

I suspect that this is a reflection of the real issue. There is a (FoxPro) limit to the total number of exhibits that can be backed up and I suspect that you have exceeded that limit. Again, I recommend managing your external exhibits outside of TMG.

Another problem while I backup my project: every time I get a message like "OLE exception error: Exception code c0000005.

I suspect that this is a reflection of the real issue. There is a (FoxPro) limit to the total number of exhibits that can be backed up and I suspect that you have exceeded that limit. Again, I recommend managing your external exhibits outside of TMG.

Thank you for your quick answer!

Following your hint, I've made a backup without any exhibits and everything works without error. So I'll make a backup manually in Windows.

I'm very happy about the feeling of security that you gave to me with your Information.

What is the limit of FoxPro to backup external exhibits? A few minutes ago I've tried 1.000, but it was the same error as above.

Again many thanks for your help!

and

many greetings from Hannover

What is the limit of FoxPro to backup external exhibits? A few minutes ago I've tried 1.000, but it was the same error as above.

I'm not sure and don't know if it is number or collective size.

C0000005 errors are Visual FoxPro errors that normally have to do with timing or memory. They usually can be worked around by fine tuning the TMG code but the programmer needs to replicate the error in order to do that.