TMG User

Using Dropbox

I think you could use Dropbox to move copies of your TMG files to other computers, but there are a couple provisos:

1. You may have trouble if you put the active copy of your TMG project files in a Dropbox folder. There are many files in a TMG project and multiple files may be changed based on one editing action by the user. That could lead to a situation where Dropbox published an invalid set of files, i.e., a set of files where updates had been applied to some files but not to others. My advice would be to edit the project, quit TMG, then copy the TMG files to a Dropbox folder. That is what you indicated above, but I wanted to confirm that was your intent. Note that all the participating PCs should be configured the same way, so when you update the Dropbox folder on one computer, you'd then on the other PCs have to copy the updated files from the Dropbox folder to the folder actually used by TMG on that PC.

2. You have to keep track of where the most-recently-updated version of the project resides. If you make changes on PC 1, then make changes on PC 2, then move the PC 1 TMG project to the Dropbox folder, the Dropbox copy won't include the changes you made on PC 2 and if you use those files to replace the files you edit on PC 2 (as described above), then you'll lose the changes.

3. To reduce the risk of corrupting the TMG project, you could make a backup in TMG and then move the resulting .SQZ file into a Dropbox folder. On the other PCs, you'd have to restore the project from the .SQZ to use it. That adds a backup and restore step to the process, but reduces some risk.

There's a risk of corrupting your TMG project whenever you manipulate the files in the project outside of TMG. If you use care, then you can use Dropbox, but it mainly operates as a convenient file transfer mechanism, not as a full-featured method to edit the same project from multiple PCs.

Last spring, when I downloaded TMG8 Beta, I copyed my hole TMG8 project up to the Dropbox folder.

It has been working perfect.

Usually when I leave TMG I have just made a click on Exit. But to be able to open the project on PC-B I had to go back to PC-A and click on "Close Procject" before exit.

Back on PC-B, I opened TMG8 and it worked just perfect.

To ensure a good backup, I decided to not use Dropbox. I made settings on both PC-A and PC-C to let the backupfiles to be stored locally.

If a crash appears on my dropbox project, I just need to check the date on my backup-files on both computers to see what backup is the newest.

By putting my database out on Dropbox I got a wounderful freedom. I could now log into my TMG from my old stationary computer at home, from my laptop or from my computer at work without worrying about what computer had the latest version of my database.

Everything has been working perfect so far, until the time ran out of my 30days beta version of TMG8, and who knows when the proper 8-version will be released!!