robinkaspar

List of Citations question v7

I'm working on cleaning up citation details and I'm so thrilled that this report can be output to Excel. However, I need just one more column and I can't see any way in the column output to add to the 9 existing columns.

Is there a way to do this that I'm not seeing? Any chance this will be rectified in v8? After all, we're not limited to the width of a sheet of paper when we export to Excel.

Robin

Sorry, Robin, I know of no way to get more than the 9 columns when using columnar mode. I don't know, but would be surprised if V8 were to increase that limit in columnar mode.

Have you tried using indented mode to Word, then importing that to Excel? It would take some cleanup, but might get you more data.

[quote name='Michael Hannah' date='29 Nov 2011, 05:22 PM' post='56411'

Have you tried using indented mode to Word, then importing that to Excel? It would take some cleanup, but might get you more data.

I didn't know about indented mode. But know that I've tried it, it is a big improvement over the reports of previous versions. Those columns didn't line up and it was a bear to read. While I would still like this report with 10 columns in Excel so that I could sort the data any way I want, I think this will be a satisfactory workaround.

Where do I put in my request for unlimited (LOL) columns in v9?

Thanks Michael

Robin

I spoke too soon. Tags without dates still don't line up with tags that have dates, so it's messy to read. I guess I'll have to figure out which column I can most do without and go from there.

Robin

If you are cleaning up citations, you should investigate the Change Citation Parts feature in TMG Utility. You can specify filters to select which citations to change, and there is a "prompt before each change" option that lets you review (and edit) the change before you commit to it. Change Citation Parts can save a LOT of time for many citation edits because you can (1) avoid managing lists of citations that you want to change, (2) avoid clicking from place to place in TMG to open the tag where the citation appears, (3) automate finding the citations of interest, and (4) automate many of the edits.

If you are cleaning up citations, you should investigate the Change Citation Parts feature in TMG Utility. You can specify filters to select which citations to change, and there is a "prompt before each change" option that lets you review (and edit) the change before you commit to it. Change Citation Parts can save a LOT of time for many citation edits because you can (1) avoid managing lists of citations that you want to change, (2) avoid clicking from place to place in TMG to open the tag where the citation appears, (3) automate finding the citations of interest, and (4) automate many of the edits.

Thanks John. I've been using Find and Replace in TMG Utility (thank you so much for this program, it's a life saver). My process is a bit laborious: for each citation on LOC, open up one of the tags, copy the original citation and paste into WordPad. Paste again and revise. Lather, rinse, repeat for each citation. Then back up TMG, open TMG Utility and use find and replace for each citation.

If Change Citation Parts will eliminate some of this process, I'm there!

Robin