Raygers

Keeping TMG data in sync with FTM

I've been using TMG for several years now but never had to do any data merging, such as gedcom or other files, so instead of me blundering around on my own, I thought I would ask for help.

Here's my problem, I have a FTM backup that I can import into TMG. This file has all my people plus some new ones, How can I separate those new people out when I don't know with certainty how many and who they are? I tried importing and then merging into one dataset, that gave me two of everyone except the new ones I could go through the explorer and merge the doubles. Or I could copy the "single" people to a focus group and merge that to the original data. Whew!

I'm hoping that there's an easier way because I'll be doing this every once in a while. I'm using FTM12 as my "search" program but I really want to keep TMG up to date also. I have a lot of custom sources and roles in TMG that I don't want messed up, otherwise I would just do a fresh import each time.

Edited by Raygers

I've been using TMG for several years now but never had to do any data merging, such as gedcom or other files, so instead of me blundering around on my own, I thought I would ask for help.

Here's my problem, I have a FTM backup that I can import into TMG. This file has all my people plus some new ones, How can I separate those new people out when I don't know with certainty how many and who they are? I tried importing and then merging into one dataset, that gave me two of everyone except the new ones I could go through the explorer and merge the doubles. Or I could copy the "single" people to a focus group and merge that to the original data. Whew!

I'm hoping that there's an easier way because I'll be doing this every once in a while. I'm using FTM12 as my "search" program but I really want to keep TMG up to date also. I have a lot of custom sources and roles in TMG that I don't want messed up, otherwise I would just do a fresh import each time.

Don't know if this helps at all, but I use 3 Programs, namely TMG, Legacy and MyHeritage Family Tree Builder. (I do so because I'm trying to decide whether the latter 2 offer any advantage. I like both the others presentation of the datasets better than TMG! and MyHeritage links to a website that I can share with others)

Anyway, I use TMG as my primary tool for recording data, and periodically output a GEDCOM file to import to the other 2.

I wouldn't dream of trying to input data to the other two and then try and bring it back to TMG!!

Thanks Neil, that's what I'm trying to do, I find that FTM is great for "syncing" with my online tree and for searching on ancestry.com. I can merge entire families with just a few clicks together with the source image and it adds a citation (not the best, but I'll improve it in TMG)

I can add several families at one sitting and if I have to try and remember who they were, to enter manually into TMG, that's a lot more work than I really want to do.

Thanks Neil, that's what I'm trying to do, I find that FTM is great for "syncing" with my online tree and for searching on ancestry.com. I can merge entire families with just a few clicks together with the source image and it adds a citation (not the best, but I'll improve it in TMG)

I can add several families at one sitting and if I have to try and remember who they were, to enter manually into TMG, that's a lot more work than I really want to do.

In that case, I'd go with only updating one and exporting GEDCOM's (as I do). I can see potentials for being really out of sync unless you keep meticulous paper notes (or a computer file) of who you are entering in which etc

That's exactly why I only update TMG and then export for use with Legacy and Family Tree Builder

Furthermore, as stated in other posts, I keep all my datasets (for all 3 programs) in Dropbox so I am up to date whichever PC or laptop I use.

Dropbox is an online data storage facility (others avaialable) that syncs the files to and from your PC('s)