Sign in to follow this  
John Charles Gober

BMP File Sizes for Decendant Charts

Sorry if this has already been addressed. I have recently gained access to a nice HP4500 designjet with 42 in width plotter rolls. Unfortunately I cannot load my own software onto the network where the plotter resides so I have been mostly limited to MS Publisher. I have been trying to create rather large descendants charts (3 1/2 feet by 50 feet, five generations) but cannot save them as either .vcf or .bmp. I keep getting the message "Cannot save file...'. Is there a file size limit for either of these formats? I have this problem both trying to create directly to file or trying to save after vewing on screen. Current OS is Windowa XP but have also tried on 7 and Vista with same dissapointing results.

Any insight would be helpful.

John

I have been trying to create rather large descendants charts (3 1/2 feet by 50 feet, five generations) but cannot save them as either .vcf or .bmp. I keep getting the message "Cannot save file...'. Is there a file size limit for either of these formats?

John

John,

There is no limit that I have found in saving to .vcf - I have saved files up to 300ft across, but can't print them on a single page! (XP SP3 and W7 SP1 64b)

There is a physical limit to the dimensions of a BMP - can't remember what they are are but the result is computed at 96dpi so 50ft is 57600 across, which is likely to be a problem. However, the problem in the .vcf case could be the lack of physical memory or in temp file space. But this doesn't seem likely as you have tried on other computers and OS.

Does your chart have any images in it? If it has try creating it without images. One or more images may be corrupt or very large when expanded.

Also try creating say a 3 gen, then a 4 gen chart to see whether there is a pattern of when it breaks.

Robin