Sign in to follow this  
Bill1001

Non-Image Exhibits

It seems that I can not make anything other than an image as a primary exhibit. This is for a person focused exhibit - not an event exhibit. JPG's and TIFFS's seem to work but PDF's, word documents and text do not. The "primary" button is not available. Can anyone tell me if that is just the way the program is structured? If that's the case are there any work-arounds? Thanks in advance for any suggestions you can provide. Bill

The primary person exhibit must be an image file. Among other reasons, that's the only way that it could display in the Image window. There are also many reports where the primary image must be an image... Individual Detail, Family Group Sheet, Relationship Chart, VCF charts.

If you really want something that is text as the primary exhibit, a workaround would be to make it an image, perhaps by taking a screenshot.

It seems that I can not make anything other than an image as a primary exhibit. This is for a person focused exhibit - not an event exhibit. JPG's and TIFFS's seem to work but PDF's, word documents and text do not. The "primary" button is not available. Can anyone tell me if that is just the way the program is structured? If that's the case are there any work-arounds? Thanks in advance for any suggestions you can provide. Bill

Please tell us and give an example of what you are trying to accomplish with a non-graphic primary personal exhibit.

The personal exhibit that you select as primary only affects the relatively small image contained in VCF chart boxes and the small image that appears in the exhibit editing window. Non-graphic format exhibits may be selected for any other function.

Best wishes,

Thank you for your help. In view of the ability in TMG to place primary exhibits in VCF I now understand the restriction. The project i am working on is primarily 17th century England. For exhibits, I basically have will transcripts and images. I was hoping to use the "primary" exhibit characterization to segregate exhibits and images in Second Site.

Bill,

SS has controls that are specific to the exhibit type and where it is attached. So, for example, there are a set of options related to image exhibits based on where they are attached (Primary person, non-primary person, event, source, etc.). There is a separate set of options for text exhibits. If you have scanned documents and transcriptions of those documents, SS has the ability to associate a text (or html) document with an image exhibit. That allows you to use the best format for both of the mediums you have.

I hope this helps, but I don't have a good understanding of what you are trying to accomplish, so it may not.

I have some of the same questions. I have person and event related exhibits that are each several pages of a document in Hungarian. I would like to include this Hungarian document and my English translation as exhibits. It's difficult to place all pages in a single jpeg file and still have it legible.

I was hoping to use a PDF file of several pages that could include both the original and the translation as an exhibit.

Any suggestions as to how this can be done or some other way to include these exhibits and translations?

Thanks

If the exhibit is to be output in TMG reports, it must be an image or a text file. A document could be several image files if necessary since you can control the order of exhibits in output.

Second Site can utilize other exhibit types such as PDF files since they are simply linked to by the web pages.