Jim Byram

TMG8 released!

http://www.whollygenes.com/tmgnew8.htm

In general...

TMG7 and TMG8 are different programs. Both can be installed on the same computer.

TMG8 will use different folders for the program and data than TMG7.

Once you update a project to TMG8, it cannot be opened using TMG7.

If you want to use both programs, you should transfer your projects by backing up in TMG7 and restoring in TMG8.

TMG 5/6 projects must be backed up in those versions and restored in TMG8. TMG4 databases must be imported.

%%%%%%%%%%

Note that Language Translations and Preferences: Program Options will not be restored from a TMG7 and earlier backup and these files should not be transferred to TMG8 from earlier program versions. If you have a custom language in an earlier version, export it in that program version and import it to TMG8.

Web search config files should probably not be restored since this part of TMG8 has been completely changed.

Edited by Jim Byram

The installation/method of converting 7 to 8 seem to have been edited out of this post?

The post had mentioned about only exporting V7 'basics' IE no layouts etc

So, there seems to be a lack of clear explanation anywhere on how to best Install 8 and use your V7 data (unless I am missing something obvious?)

Also, as mentioned above, is it possible to re-use V7 layouts and customisations?

Neil,

See if the article on this topic on my website is helpful.

Yes, you can re-use layouts and most customizations (except those set in Prefences > Program Options) by including them in a Backup. Also, you should not include any web search customizations, as Jim says above, because that feature has been extensively changed.

Neil,

See if the article on this topic on my website is helpful.

Yes, you can re-use layouts and most customizations (except those set in Prefences > Program Options) by including them in a Backup. Also, you should not include any web search customizations, as Jim says above, because that feature has been extensively changed.

Great article Terry

Many thanks.

The original of this post had a brief backup/restore synopsis that stated to only backup data.

It's now been removed, and on checking, it seemed to be a verbatim copy of the details for the Beta release.

Although v7 and v8 might be different programs, if you upgrade from v7 to v8 (in diff folders) you can NOT uninstall v7. This action leaves v8 in an unworkable state.

I am currently waiting for advice on how to get v8 working again without having to reinstall all the way back to v6 - if I can even find my older versions, having moved house and computers within the past 2 years.

Any help would be appreciated as I have been waiting for more than a week for a reply to my email requesting assistance.

Have you tried uninstalling v8 and reinstalling it - or reinstalling v8 on top of the existing v8 installation?

What are the symptoms of the unworkable state of v8?

There would be no need to reinstall any earlier versions of TMG. Each version is independent of the earlier one.

Virginia