HollyAdams01

Add multiple family members

I'm trying out the add multiple children feature, which looks very handy in theory.

First problem is that I am not getting an option to add citation surety for each item added. The help menu says "(Advanced Mode only), you can also enter the surety for the fields in the citation. If you enter a citation without a surety, you will be given a warning that you have done so if this option is checked in File > Preferences > Program Options: Prompts."

I'm in Advanced Mode and have gone back into Preferences to turn it off and on again to make sure, but do not get any prompt for surety values when I enter a citation against the multiple entries.

The other problem I've found with the Add Multiple People window is that it resets my custom place styles to the project default when I select a place from the Master Places List. There's no warning on the Add Multiple People screen to ask if I want this to happen or if I want to use the default, but I do get a warning on the Add Person screen when adding an individual.

I'm using TMG Gold 8.0 UK. I have Preferences > Program Options > Warnings set to warn when tag has no citation and when citation has no sureties. I have Program Options > Data Entry set to Advanced with Place labels enabled. Am I missing something?

Holly,

I'm afraid there is no provision for adding sureties on the Add Multiple people function. There is obviously some difficulty fitting that into the screens, but other users on the TMG-List have also expressed concern about the lack of that capability, and have suggested it be added somehow.

Styles are controlled the same way they are for the regular Add Person list, by a setting in the Setup screen. You can either select a specific style for each Tag Type, or use the Data Set default. But the setups for the two screens are separate, so you have to set it separately for this screen.

Thanks Terry. It's a bit unfortunate then that the Help Menu clearly states that there is a provision for adding sureties on the Add Multiple People function.

I'm afraid I don't understand your response to the place style problem I was having. When I use the Add People screen and use an existing place, when I go to close the window, I'm prompted to use the existing place style for that location (if one exists) or the option of overwriting that style with the project default. When I tried out the Add Multiple People screen, I wasn't given any such prompt and it automatically selected the default place style. Are you saying I should set up a specific Tag Type in the Add Multiple People screen for every different place style I use so I don't have my place styles overwritten when I close?

Thanks Terry. It's a bit unfortunate then that the Help Menu clearly states that there is a provision for adding sureties on the Add Multiple People function.

You're welcome. Yes, I see that. It appears to be an error - I've reported it.

I'm afraid I don't understand your response to the place style problem I was having. When I use the Add People screen and use an existing place, when I go to close the window, I'm prompted to use the existing place style for that location (if one exists) or the option of overwriting that style with the project default. When I tried out the Add Multiple People screen, I wasn't given any such prompt and it automatically selected the default place style. Are you saying I should set up a specific Tag Type in the Add Multiple People screen for every different place style I use so I don't have my place styles overwritten when I close?

No, the issue is I didn't understand your initial post. I see the same thing - no warning when changing the style of an existing place when you Add Multiple People. It appears to be a bug to me.

I'll report it.