Robert Jacobs

Family and Tree tab changes from version 7?

I have my project explorer set to "Link project explorer to other windows." The details view is set to the person tab. I click on a person in the3 project explorer and get that person's detail view (name, parents, tags, etc.). Now I select the "Tree" tab. One of the selected person's parents is displayed as the beginning (leftmost) person in the tree. If I click on the "Family tab" while a person tab is displayed I get the parents' family.

I have VFI'd, reindexed and optimized and the same thing happens. Version 7 did not behave this way and I do not think that version 8 ought to.

Further discovery: if I reach a person view from other than the project explorer (e.g., double clicking a person's name in a tag), the family and tree views seem to work correctly.

Robert

Edited by Robert Jacobs

There is no difference between TMG7 and TMG8 in regard to the screens that you describe.

In addition, I do not see what you describe. When I select a person on the PE and then change from the Person view to the Family or Tree views, the person selected in the PE is the focus person on the Family and Tree views.

It has always been the case that the person selected on the Family or Tree views will be the focus person when you change to the Person view.

Bottom line... I can't replicate what you describe as far as I understand it.

There is no difference between TMG7 and TMG8 in regard to the screens that you describe.

In addition, I do not see what you describe. When I select a person on the PE and then change from the Person view to the Family or Tree views, the person selected in the PE is the focus person on the Family and Tree views.

It has always been the case that the person selected on the Family or Tree views will be the focus person when you change to the Person view.

Bottom line... I can't replicate what you describe as far as I understand it.

Dear Jim,

Wow. I didn't expect that. Here are my settings and steps:

1. Project Explorer sort set to "Surname, Given Name, Birth Date." "Link Project Explorer to other windows" is checked; nothing else on that right-click menu is selected.

2. Details view open, person tag selected

3. One click on the name of any person in the PE who has two parents. The person appears in the person view.

4. Without intervening clicks, click on the "Tree" tab.

Voila! -- or at least I hope so, because if you are still getting the original focus person then there may be some deep damnation in my data. I can do this again and again.

Robert

Edited by Robert Jacobs

"2. Details view open, person tag selected"

What does "person tag selected" mean?

Sorry, Jim. I meant "person tab."

Virginia, it looked as though you had the focus on Frank Alexander to begin with. If you have a moment, try selecting some different person in the PE (from the one who has the original focus) and then click the "tree" tab directly. I've just tried this in the sample project and the error occurs. The focus always seems to move to the mother of the person who was originally selected. That is, it's neither alphabetical nor in ID number order.

If you can tell me how you are making those wonderful little videos I can probably put together a demonstration.

Thanks, Jim & Virginia.

Robert -

I see the same thing when I select someone in the PE and go to Tree or any other tab.

I use Jing for these short videos (5-minute limit). With Jing Free you can post the videos to their site. My tutorials in the VCF forum are Jings.

Virginia

Dear Virginia,

Thanks so much. I assume that this is something that WG will want to repair, although it doesn't seem to be a very grievous problem. Now that you've seen the same thing I think I'll forgo Jing, at least for the moment. :)

I'm especially relieved that there's no problem with my data -- and, for that matter, that I haven't been hallucinating.

All good wishes.

Robert

Robert -

No! No! No! I meant I see the same expected normal behaviour when switching directly from the PE! Sorry about that. When I read my words quoted back it sounded just like you interpreted it.

Nope - it works normally and as expected for me, no matter how you select people.

Virginia

Robert -

No! No! No! <g> I meant I see the same expected normal behaviour when switching directly from the PE! Sorry about that. When I read my words quoted back it sounded just like you interpreted it.

Nope - it works normally and as expected for me, no matter how you select people.

Virginia

I agree with Virginia...it is working as expected for me also...I tried it with and without the PE linked to the other windows

Sorry, Robert,

I have also tried to reproduce your problem and cannot. I have tried every change to the layout and the Preferences I could think of and cannot find any settings that cause the problem you are seeing. You might consider re-downloading and re-installing TMG over the top of your current version in the same location. I can't think of anything else to try.

Robert -

No! No! No! <g> I meant I see the same expected normal behaviour when switching directly from the PE! Sorry about that. When I read my words quoted back it sounded just like you interpreted it.

Virginia

I agree with Virginia...it is working as expected for me also...I tried it with and without the PE linked to the other windows

Dear Paul & Virginia,

Thanks so much. As the problem is occurring in both my project and the sample project I have decided to try a reinstall as a first line of defense. If that doesn't work I may have to ship the whole shebang to Support -- I think there may be a problem with my Project Explorer as well; VFI and reindexing don't seem to make any changes.

To be continued, alas . . .

Robert

I have to say that using TMG 7, I frequently experience the problem described by Robert Jacobs.

However since this is a minor nuisance without consequence to my database, I have never reported it. I cannot replicate it when I want, it just happens randomly (I think...) and I have never looked for a cause-effect relation.

Anyway, it is irritating sometimes ...

I seldom use the Project Explorer, so tried it today and found that it worked for me like Robert described.

I linked the Project Explorer to other windows and then selected a person. The details window person tab changed to that person. Then when I clicked the family tab, the focus person was the first person's mother and the tree tab was that same mother, then the person tab was also that mother. As soon as I had clicked the family tab the selected person on the Project Explorer became that new person.

Then when I clicked the family tab again, the grandmother became the focus person, and it continued until no more mothers were available.

Joanne Skelton

Joanne -

Thank you for that help! Now we have to figure out what you and Robert have in common. Operating system - WinXP, Win7, Vista?

Virginia

I am using Win7 Home Premium.

Joanne

Joanne -

Thank you for that help! Now we have to figure out what you and Robert have in common. Operating system - WinXP, Win7, Vista?

Virginia

I am using Win7 Home Premium.

Joanne

I think I have figured out what is happening...Starting with the PE unlink and an individual in the Person View, select the Mother of that person (don't double click to change to her, just make her the selected individual)...Link the PE to other windows...select and individual in the PE, change to the Tree view...the previously select mother is the focus because she was the last individual selected. When you selected and individual from the PE and that person appears in the Detail view there is no individual in the view selected therefore when you change to Tree or Family view it uses the last selected individual which in this case was the mother of the previous focus person.

After selecting a person in the PE click on the focus person of the Detail view and then change to Tree or Family view and it will work right.

I don't think this is a bug, but is working as designed....

If you unlink the PE on that rightclick menu and instead use 'Change Focus to this Person' on that same menu, do you still see the same problem with the tabs?

Virginia

Yes, the same problems occur.

Joanne

I think I have figured out what is happening...Starting with the PE unlink and an individual in the Person View, select the Mother of that person (don't double click to change to her, just make her the selected individual)...Link the PE to other windows...select and individual in the PE, change to the Tree view...the previously select mother is the focus because she was the last individual selected. When you selected and individual from the PE and that person appears in the Detail view there is no individual in the view selected therefore when you change to Tree or Family view it uses the last selected individual which in this case was the mother of the previous focus person.

After selecting a person in the PE click on the focus person of the Detail view and then change to Tree or Family view and it will work right.

I don't think this is a bug, but is working as designed....

Dear Paul,

But it happens also if the mother is NOT the original focus person; even if the original focus person is completely unrelated, selecting someone else in the PE and then going to the tree view gives you the mother of the second person selected.

However: I made several backups in different places, completely uninstalled v8, moved the data directories elsewhere, cleaned out all v8 registry entries, and reinstalled. On opening the sample project, all worked perfectly. I then restored my own project & customizations. The problem returned, not only for my project but for the sample project as well. Evidently some setting in my project is triggering the bug.

I am using widows 7 Ultimate, x64 with SP1 and all subsequent hotfixes installed.

Robert

Ahhh... I think Paul has figured it out!!

It has nothing to do with linking the Project Explorer.

Before you click on either the Family or Tree tab, be sure to click on the Primary Name tag of the person being viewed so that tag for the current person is selected.

Now click on either the Family or Tree tab. I think you will find that you remain focused on the original person and no changes occur. Going back to the Person view will also stay on that person.

To demonstrate your issue, first click on the Primary Father (or Mother) tag. (Don't change to them being the focus, just select the tag.) Now click on the Family or Tree tab and the focus will change to that selected father. If you go back to the Person view then to the Tree now you will change to that person's father (the original's grandfather) because the Primary Father tag was still selected in the Person view.

Having the Father (or Mother) tag selected when changing to Tree will cause the focus of the Tree to be on the Father. That is by design.

What has changed from V7 to V8 is when you change back from Tree to Person. In V7 whoever was the focus person in the Tree now will have their Primary "NAME" tag selected when you go back to the Person view, regardless of what was last selected the last time you were in a Person view. In V8 if either the Mother or Father tag was last selected when you left the Person veiw, then that tag is what is selected when you return to that view. This continued selection of the Mother or Father tag is what is causing the change in focus.

I am not sure if this is intended as a new "feature" or is an artifact introduced as part of the major rewrite for V8. I will ask.

Before you click on either the Family or Tree tab, be sure to click on the Primary Name tag of the person being viewed so that tag for the current person is selected.

Now click on either the Family or Tree tab. I think you will find that you remain focused on the original person and no changes occur. Going back to the Person view will also stay on that person.

To demonstrate your issue, first click on the Primary Father (or Mother) tag. (Don't change to them being the focus, just select the tag.) Now click on the Family or Tree tab and the focus will change to that selected father. If you go back to the Person view then to the Tree now you will change to that person's father (the original's grandfather) because the Primary Father tag was still selected in the Person view.

Having the Father (or Mother) tag selected when changing to Tree will cause the focus of the Tree to be on the Father. That is by design.

What has changed from V7 to V8 is when you change back from Tree to Person. In V7 whoever was the focus person in the Tree now will have their Primary "NAME" tag selected when you go back to the Person view, regardless of what was last selected the last time you were in a Person view. In V8 if either the Mother or Father tag was last selected when you left the Person veiw, then that tag is what is selected when you return to that view. This continued selection of the Mother or Father tag is what is causing the change in focus.

I am not sure if this is intended as a new "feature" or is an artifact introduced as part of the major rewrite for V8. I will ask.

Dear Michael,

That seems to me to be to be a work-around. If I have the project explorer linked, and the person tab exposed in the Details view, click on some other person in the PE, that person pops up in Details. One should be able to assume that that person has the focus. That is the way the sample project works when TMG8 is installed. Some setting or bug is responsible for passing the focus on to that person's mother if one moves directly from the PE (with person view showing in details) to tree view. I agree that if one clicks in the name-tag box before switching to the tree view that all works as expected.

I really appreciate the attention that you, Jim, Virginia, and others are giving to this problem.

Robert

Edited by Robert Jacobs

But I believe part of the original problem is that when you come in from the project explorer, either linked or focus changed, the person view on the details window does not show any tag selection, so you wouldn't know that in some way the mother had been selected, which apparently has been happening in version 8. Nothing in Help mentions anything about this.

If you know to select the Name tag before changing views if works fine. But how would you know you need to do this?

Joanne