Photo

Family and Tree tab changes from version 7?

• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#21 Robert Jacobs

Robert Jacobs
  • Senior Members
  • 308 posts
  • Interests:Computers, hiking, formal shooting competition

Posted 28 December 2011 - 01:31 PM

[/quote]

I think I have figured out what is happening...Starting with the PE unlink and an individual in the Person View, select the Mother of that person (don't double click to change to her, just make her the selected individual)...Link the PE to other windows...select and individual in the PE, change to the Tree view...the previously select mother is the focus because she was the last individual selected. When you selected and individual from the PE and that person appears in the Detail view there is no individual in the view selected therefore when you change to Tree or Family view it uses the last selected individual which in this case was the mother of the previous focus person.

After selecting a person in the PE click on the focus person of the Detail view and then change to Tree or Family view and it will work right.

I don't think this is a bug, but is working as designed....
[/quote]

Dear Paul,

But it happens also if the mother is NOT the original focus person; even if the original focus person is completely unrelated, selecting someone else in the PE and then going to the tree view gives you the mother of the second person selected.

However: I made several backups in different places, completely uninstalled v8, moved the data directories elsewhere, cleaned out all v8 registry entries, and reinstalled. On opening the sample project, all worked perfectly. I then restored my own project & customizations. The problem returned, not only for my project but for the sample project as well. Evidently some setting in my project is triggering the bug.

I am using widows 7 Ultimate, x64 with SP1 and all subsequent hotfixes installed.

Robert

#22 Michael Hannah

Michael Hannah
  • Moderators
  • 2,733 posts
  • Interests:Genealogy, Computers

Posted 28 December 2011 - 01:34 PM

Ahhh... I think Paul has figured it out!!

It has nothing to do with linking the Project Explorer.

Before you click on either the Family or Tree tab, be sure to click on the Primary Name tag of the person being viewed so that tag for the current person is selected.

Now click on either the Family or Tree tab. I think you will find that you remain focused on the original person and no changes occur. Going back to the Person view will also stay on that person.

To demonstrate your issue, first click on the Primary Father (or Mother) tag. (Don't change to them being the focus, just select the tag.) Now click on the Family or Tree tab and the focus will change to that selected father. If you go back to the Person view then to the Tree now you will change to that person's father (the original's grandfather) because the Primary Father tag was still selected in the Person view.

Having the Father (or Mother) tag selected when changing to Tree will cause the focus of the Tree to be on the Father. That is by design.

What has changed from V7 to V8 is when you change back from Tree to Person. In V7 whoever was the focus person in the Tree now will have their Primary "NAME" tag selected when you go back to the Person view, regardless of what was last selected the last time you were in a Person view. In V8 if either the Mother or Father tag was last selected when you left the Person veiw, then that tag is what is selected when you return to that view. This continued selection of the Mother or Father tag is what is causing the change in focus.

I am not sure if this is intended as a new "feature" or is an artifact introduced as part of the major rewrite for V8. I will ask.
Michael
See my book on how I customize TMG My Way.
My website.

#23 Robert Jacobs

Robert Jacobs
  • Senior Members
  • 308 posts

Posted 28 December 2011 - 01:50 PM

Before you click on either the Family or Tree tab, be sure to click on the Primary Name tag of the person being viewed so that tag for the current person is selected.

Now click on either the Family or Tree tab. I think you will find that you remain focused on the original person and no changes occur. Going back to the Person view will also stay on that person.

To demonstrate your issue, first click on the Primary Father (or Mother) tag. (Don't change to them being the focus, just select the tag.) Now click on the Family or Tree tab and the focus will change to that selected father. If you go back to the Person view then to the Tree now you will change to that person's father (the original's grandfather) because the Primary Father tag was still selected in the Person view.

Having the Father (or Mother) tag selected when changing to Tree will cause the focus of the Tree to be on the Father. That is by design.

What has changed from V7 to V8 is when you change back from Tree to Person. In V7 whoever was the focus person in the Tree now will have their Primary "NAME" tag selected when you go back to the Person view, regardless of what was last selected the last time you were in a Person view. In V8 if either the Mother or Father tag was last selected when you left the Person veiw, then that tag is what is selected when you return to that view. This continued selection of the Mother or Father tag is what is causing the change in focus.

I am not sure if this is intended as a new "feature" or is an artifact introduced as part of the major rewrite for V8. I will ask.

Dear Michael,

That seems to me to be to be a work-around. If I have the project explorer linked, and the person tab exposed in the Details view, click on some other person in the PE, that person pops up in Details. One should be able to assume that that person has the focus. That is the way the sample project works when TMG8 is installed. Some setting or bug is responsible for passing the focus on to that person's mother if one moves directly from the PE (with person view showing in details) to tree view. I agree that if one clicks in the name-tag box before switching to the tree view that all works as expected.

I really appreciate the attention that you, Jim, Virginia, and others are giving to this problem.

Robert

Edited by Robert Jacobs, 28 December 2011 - 02:20 PM.

#24 Joanne Skelton

Joanne Skelton
  • Members
  • 21 posts

Posted 28 December 2011 - 02:01 PM

What do you have checked now in Preferences / Project Explorer? Try 'Display ID Numbers' Only.

Virginia

I tried that and it was the same.

Joanne

#25 Joanne Skelton

Joanne Skelton
  • Members
  • 21 posts

Posted 28 December 2011 - 02:33 PM

But I believe part of the original problem is that when you come in from the project explorer, either linked or focus changed, the person view on the details window does not show any tag selection, so you wouldn't know that in some way the mother had been selected, which apparently has been happening in version 8. Nothing in Help mentions anything about this.
If you know to select the Name tag before changing views if works fine. But how would you know you need to do this?
Joanne

#26 Robert Jacobs

Robert Jacobs
  • Senior Members
  • 308 posts

Posted 29 December 2011 - 06:59 AM

I think I see part of what's happening. With the person view exposed, select someone from the project explorer (linked). Then click below the tags in the person view tag box. The selected person's mother gets the focus, and if one then goes to tree view one gets the mother's tree. If instead you click on the upper border bar of the person view, the topmost tag (which in my case is the automatic relation tag) gets the focus and selecting the tree view gives the tree for the person selected for automatic relations. If you had delivered the click to any tag for a named person, that person gets the focus.

I don't think that v7 worked that way, but whether it did or not, I think that the focus should go to the person originally chosen from the PE.

I hope that someone with access to WG can report this as a bug to be fixed.

Good wishes and Happy New Year to all.

Robert

#27 Michael Hannah

Michael Hannah
  • Moderators
  • 2,733 posts
  • Interests:Genealogy, Computers

Posted 29 December 2011 - 09:27 AM

Robert,
Any user mentioning what they believe to be a bug in this forum is usually sufficient to get it on a list to be reviewed. This forum is sponsored by WhollyGenes specifically to give users like yourself "access" to WG. While the employees of WhollyGenes don't usually reply to posts (since us volunteer users typically provide most answers needed), they do monitor this forum.
Michael
See my book on how I customize TMG My Way.
My website.

#28 Robert Jacobs

Robert Jacobs
  • Senior Members
  • 308 posts

Posted 29 December 2011 - 10:27 AM

Robert,
Any user mentioning what they believe to be a bug in this forum is usually sufficient to get it on a list to be reviewed. This forum is sponsored by WhollyGenes specifically to give users like yourself "access" to WG. While the employees of WhollyGenes don't usually reply to posts (since us volunteer users typically provide most answers needed), they do monitor this forum.

Dear Michael,

Thanks so much. I hope they do attend to it. Thanks again for your help and all good wishes.

Robert

#29 Robert Jacobs

Robert Jacobs
  • Senior Members
  • 308 posts

Posted 02 January 2012 - 08:17 AM

I think this issue may be related to the thread "person changed - not the one I was working on [Stilla problem in TMG 8]" on the TMG Rootsweb mailing list.

Robert

#30 melbourneoz

melbourneoz
  • User Group Coordinators
  • 4 posts
  • Interests:TMG Users Group, meets 4th Wednesday of the month except December. For further information please send an email to tmgusers@vicgum.asn.au

Posted 08 January 2012 - 06:47 PM

Well I'm with Robert and Joanne.

This process works perfectly in TMG 7 but not in TMG 8. I also get the mother as the focus when you go to the the Family or Tree TAB. And when Paul said he has figured it out, sorry Paul, that is definitely not how it works in TMG7 for me. And what's more if you start in the Family or Tree view in TMG 8 then go to the Person view you get the correct (ie same) person. It is only when you start with the Person view and go to a Tree or Family view that is goes to the persons mother (if there is one).

So I say there _is_ a problem with the way TMG 8 is working.

Graeme Simpson

#31 gsimpson

gsimpson
  • Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 09 January 2012 - 12:50 AM

Oops, my comments were supposed to come from my personal login, not melbourneoz (Melbourne TMG User Group).

Graeme Simpson

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users