gillibrandd

Filter in TMG v 8

The 1911 Uk census has just become available in Ancestry and I am trying to find the people who I have not already found in the 1911 census yet. My ideal would be to be able to filter by not having an event (Census1911) attached to a person. It does not seem possible to do this! Would it be reasonable to ask for this as it could apply to finding people without births, baptisms, deaths, burials etc. events.

The way I have found round this is to set up a new flag FCen1911 and then set a List of People filtering on "Census1911 role contains A|E|I|O|U" and then settijg the flag via the secondary output. In TMGv7 this gives me 93 results. In TMGv8 on the same converted project it gives 35 results. I have looked at the results and it gives me all the Head of Household's, but no wives, sons, daughters etc.. If I add a new 1911 census records the people mentioned in this census also appear in the list. I have also gone and amended a person e.g. son, daughter who was not a principle and they will then also appear in the list.

So it appears to be something to do with filtering on converted events. Any suggestions how I get round this?

Regards

Derek

<_<

Derek.

I don't have the UK version. Presumably there is standard tag for the 1911 census or else you have set up a custom tag.

Just filter on that tag for "# of Tags" = 0

Obvioudly you'll need a few more lines in the filter unless to have already flagged all the likely candidates.

Edited by nbradley

Neil

Thanks for your suggestion.

I have a Census1911 tag set up.

I tried your suggestion using (TMGv8) of Census1911 "# of Tags" = 0 and it gave me every member of the project. I also tried Census1911 "# of Tags" = 1 and this returned no results, even though there were circa 100 people with a 1911 census entries.

I have also tried it on TMGv7 and found that it only works for people who are principle in the event. It does not seem to work for witnesses. I tend to include all the people in a census household in a tag event. So typically the husband and wife would be the principle members and the children would be in the witness positions as sons, daughters etc.

So it is back to square one.

Regards

Derek

Derek,

Since you are searching for people (both Principals and Witnesses) who are not linked to a specific event tag type (Census1911), I would suggest a two-step approach.

First, I would create a temporary FLAG, whose default value was 'N'. Then I would run a "List of Events" (LOE) report filtered for:

Tag Type... // Label // = Equals // Census1911 // END

In that LOE Report Options, on the Secondary Output tab, I would have the report change that FLAG value to 'Y' for "All Witnesses".

Now I would filter a "List of People" report (or even the Project Explorer) on that FLAG = 'N', plus any other appropriate filter conditions such as their primary birth and death dates.

After creating and linking tags of this type to additional people you can always run the the LOE report again. It will now also set the flag to 'Y' for those new people. Now you can get a more current list.

Hope this gives you ideas,

Michael

Thank you for the suggestion. I have tried it on the UK version of TMGv8. After getting a list of events and messages to say that it would change 119 people I got the following error message:-

Command contains unrecognised phrase/keyword 45 CHANGEFLAGLOE. It provided three options Abort, Retry and Ignore. Only Abort allowed me to progress but it had not set the flags.

Is there a way of reporting this error to the developers. Any other suggestions round the problem.

I also tried it on TMGv7 and it worked OK.

Regards

Derek

Is there a way of reporting this error to the developers. Any other suggestions round the problem.
By posting in this forum, Derek, you just did. That is one of the purposes of this forum.

As for suggestions, sorry, but I don't have any at the moment.

Derek -

Try the List of Witnesses. With that report you can include columns in the output for both the principals (1 and 2) and the witnesses. You have different filter options to work with but you may be able to come up with the criteria you need based on the date or place fields you normally use in a census tag.

Virginia

Virginia

Thank you for your suggestion. I have looked at the Report definition Screen - List of Witnesses, there does not appear to be a Secondary Output facility to set a flag on a person in the reports as there is in the "List of People" and "List of Events" Secondary Output. What I am trying to do is to set a flag so that I can then use the project explorer filter to list the people I have not found 1911 census records for..

Would it be possible to include a function for each event "Is Present" and "Is Absent" on the Reports List of People and List of Events and on the Project Explorer . This would then easily allow you to set a flag on the person depending upon whether an event is present or not. This would help in searching for missing events such as census, births, baptisms, death, burials etc.

Regards

Derek

Virginia

I had another look at your suggestion and have come up with a solution. I looked at the Report, List of People and then used the

Witnessed census1911, Year = 1911

OR

Census1911 Year = 1911

to filter the people and managed to pick them all up.

Thanks for your help

Is there an explanation anywhere where you can see whether a filter will pick up Principle People only, witnesses only, or both, e.g. Census1911 Year = 1911 ?

Regards

Derek

I have run into this problem also and see no easy way around it. I am checking Citation details for presence/absence of certain data and setting a flag so I can follow up with a Picklist Filter to examine them in detail. My only bypass so far is to generate a report and use that to select the people one at a time. Not a big problem but irritating.