Jump to content


Photo

Call an External Text File from a Memo Field


  • Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Vernon

Vernon

    Mr.

  • Members
  • 13 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Johannesburg, South Africa

Posted 30 December 2011 - 05:04 AM

I'm having a problem with calling and external text file from a memo field. I am following the description listed in the help section as listed below but with no success. The text example is printed out in the narrative report. Any suggestions to solve the problem please.

Vernon

In addition to text entered into Memo fields within the program, you can store a memo in an external text file that can be called from the memo field. Such text will be used when a report is generated just as though it had been entered directly into the memo field. To use text from an external file, an exclamation point must be the first character in the memo field, followed by the drive, path and name of the text file.

For example: !C:\MYDATA\ABC.TXT

#2 Michael Hannah

Michael Hannah
  • Moderators
  • 2,733 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Los Ranchos, New Mexico, USA
  • Interests:Genealogy, Computers

Posted 30 December 2011 - 09:57 AM

Hi Vernon,

I am having no problem with this. Perhaps it is not the text file, but how you are choosing to output the Memo text itself? Does the sentence for that tag include the [M] memo variable? If not, what have you chosen as the Report Options on the Memos tab for the output of memos which are not included in the sentence? Perhaps your options are set to not include the memo, thus it is not being output?

Hope this gives you ideas,
Michael
See my book on how I customize TMG My Way.
My website.

#3 Vernon

Vernon

    Mr.

  • Members
  • 13 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Johannesburg, South Africa

Posted 31 December 2011 - 04:18 AM

Hi Vernon,

I am having no problem with this. Perhaps it is not the text file, but how you are choosing to output the Memo text itself? Does the sentence for that tag include the [M] memo variable? If not, what have you chosen as the Report Options on the Memos tab for the output of memos which are not included in the sentence? Perhaps your options are set to not include the memo, thus it is not being output?

Hope this gives you ideas,



Hi there Micheal

Thank you for your reply. I am creating an individual narrative report. The [M] memo variable is included correctly in the tag entry sentence and works correctly for any text when it is included in the Memo. I have tried just in case all the options within the Memo report settings without success. It appears as if the program is not "calling" the text file or maybe it is unable to find the location of the file. I am an experienced computer user and have tried text files produced by Word Notepad and Wordpad etc located in different folders without success. Also no error warnings have appeared. I'm hoping others might respond to my problem. Thanks again for your response.

Vernon

#4 Jim Byram

Jim Byram
  • Moderators
  • 7,340 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Framingham, MA

Posted 31 December 2011 - 07:35 AM

The text calling the external text file should be the only text in the memo field. IOW... You can't embed that call in other memo text. I just tested this and it worked so there is no issue with the basic mechanism. The external text could be edited from the expanded memo field and the external text appeared in a Individual Narrative. If the path is the only text in the memo, please post the path so that I can check something equivalent.

#5 Vernon

Vernon

    Mr.

  • Members
  • 13 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Johannesburg, South Africa

Posted 31 December 2011 - 11:09 PM

Thank you for the replies. Problem is now solved. Some time ago I had to do a complete computer restore which turned out to be rather complicated resulting in the drives being renamed i.e. C: drive became D(C:) drive and D: drive became C(D:). I am aware that you can rename drives other than the root drive easily but some research indicated that with the proper software renaming the root drive could be fraught with problems and I decided to let well alone. From the TMG help "Access folders" TMG show all the files as being located on the D: when they are in fact installed on the C:drive. I was aware of this and tried what I thought were all the combinations of file folder locations and the calling statement but without success. I obviously did not do a very good job because I now have the calling statement and the file location correctly synchonised.
Thanks to the forum for the prompt help

Vernon




0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users