dgmock

Cannot start "Help"

I'm using TMG v8 and can't get the "Help" routine to start -- either from the menu bar drop down or by pressing F1. The TMG.chm file is, however, located in the TMG v8 program files folder, and I am able to start it by clicking directly on the file itself. I think "Help" worked OK right after the v8 instll, but now it doesn't. Any ideas?

With TMG not running, delete the shared program data folder. Delete the folder, not just the contents.

Windows 7 and Windows Vista

C:ProgramDataThe Master Genealogist v8

or

Windows XP and Windows 2000

C:Documents and SettingsAll UsersApplication DataThe Master Genealogist v8

The folder will be re-created the next time that TMG8 is run.

After that, test help.

Jim - -

I did as you suggested (deleted the C:ProgramData"The Master Genealogist v8" folder in its entirety), and then restarted TMG. The shared data folder was recreated as expected, but I am still not able to start the "Help" routine from within TMG.

But thanks for your quick response . . .

Dan

Is TMG.chm located in the shared program data folder?

You can open the folder like this to check...

Help / Access Folders / select 'Shared program data folder' and click [Open].

I have no ideas. The program makes a system call to the operating system and the operating system opens the help file as specified. I'll talk to the programmer responsible for ideas.

Dan,

when you click on (Windows) Start > All Programs > The Master Genealogist v8 > The Master Genealogist help

does that work?

%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

Please go to (Windows) Start > Computer > OS (C:)

In the next window at the upper right is a box which shows "Search OS (C:)" - please enter into this field: tmg.chm and patiently wait until this search is completed.

In case all is correct you should see only the following two locations containing the tmg.chm file for TMGv8:

tmg.chm in: C:Program FilesThe Master Genealogist v8

AND

tmg.chm in: C:ProgramDataThe Master Genealogist v8

In case you find it in other locations as well, please tell us the exact paths of these.

Vera - -

Help starts correctly when I click "The Master Genealogist help" in the Programs drop-down.

I searched for occurences of TMG.chm and found this file only in the two folders you listed in your note (there are also a couple of shortcuts to TMG.chm, but these are targetted to C:Program FIlesThe Master Genealogist v8TMG.chm).

I have also done a "repair" reinstall of v8 and the problem persists.

This is not an earth-shattering problem, since I can always start help outside of TMG. But figuring this out now may help someone else downstream.

Thanks, Dan.

I have precisely the same experience with the help function. I even did the repair install. The results are exactly as reported by Dan.

Alan

Sorry for the inconvenience, Alan.

Which Operating System do you use?

Was TMG Version 7 ever installed on the machine on which you now run version 8?

Try deleting this file and see if it fixes help not working..

WinVista/Win7

C:UsersusernameAppDataRoamingMicrosoftHTML Helphh.dat

WinXP

C:Documents and SettingsusernameApplication DataMicrosoftHTML Helphh.dat

(Deleting the hh.dat file doesn't hurt anything. The operating system regenerates it. I found this as the solution for html help not working in a number of different applications and have no idea if it will work for TMG.)

I have precisely the same experience with the help function. I even did the repair install. The results are exactly as reported by Dan.

Alan

Yes. I installed v8 then uninstalled v7. The help was not working so I did the repair-install, to no avail. Since then I have moved all the files to my prefered locations using File > Preferences. Everything works (as far as I can see) except for the Help.

Alan

Alan

Yes. I installed v8 then uninstalled v7. The help was not working so I did the repair-install, to no avail. Since then I have moved all the files to my prefered locations using File > Preferences. Everything works (as far as I can see) except for the Help.

Alan

Windows 7

Try deleting this file and see if it fixes help not working..

WinVista/Win7

C:UsersusernameAppDataRoamingMicrosoftHTML Helphh.dat

WinXP

C:Documents and SettingsusernameApplication DataMicrosoftHTML Helphh.dat

(Deleting the hh.dat file doesn't hurt anything. The operating system regenerates it. I found this as the solution for html help not working in a number of different applications and have no idea if it will work for TMG.)

It didn't work this time, I afraid.

Thanks for your patience and your replies, Alan and of course Dan.

This additional question goes to both of you:

Are you using the US Version of TMG v8 or the UK Version of it?

Vera and Jim - -

1. Per Jim's suggestion, I deleted the hh.dat file, but that did not fix the problem for me, either.

2. Yes, also like Alan, I had TMG v7 previously installed on this PC. I uninstalled it once I was satisfied that v8 was working correctly. BTW, during the uninstall, I was asked to OK the deletion of some shared files that appeared to no longer be used by any programs, and I clicked "OK" for all. A number of .dll files were then removed. I assume that the "repair" install would have replaced any of these that were needed by TMG v8.

3. I am using the US version of TMG v8. The PC is running Vista Home Basic.

Regards, Dan.

The obvious thing to try is to uninstall and reinstall. This won't affect your data files as long as you reinstall to the same program folder.

The obvious thing to try is to uninstall and reinstall. This won't affect your data files as long as you reinstall to the same program folder.

Just to add to Jim's suggestion regarding unstill and reinstall.

- Close all other applications.

- Turn off your virus scanner.

- Then uninstall TMGv8.

- Re-boot your computer.

- Check whether your virus scanner is still turned off - if not, temporarily turn it off again.

- Install TMGv8 to right the same program folder you used previously.

- Re-boot your computer.

- If necessary turn your virus scanner on.

- Start TMGv8 and immediately check whether HELP is functional from within TMGv8.

Vera and Jim - -

1. Per Jim's suggestion, I deleted the hh.dat file, but that did not fix the problem for me, either.

2. Yes, also like Alan, I had TMG v7 previously installed on this PC. I uninstalled it once I was satisfied that v8 was working correctly. BTW, during the uninstall, I was asked to OK the deletion of some shared files that appeared to no longer be used by any programs, and I clicked "OK" for all. A number of .dll files were then removed. I assume that the "repair" install would have replaced any of these that were needed by TMG v8.

3. I am using the US version of TMG v8. The PC is running Vista Home Basic.

Regards, Dan.

And I'm using the UK version

Alan

Just to add to Jim's suggestion regarding unstill and reinstall.

- Close all other applications.

- Turn off your virus scanner.

- Then uninstall TMGv8.

- Re-boot your computer.

- Check whether your virus scanner is still turned off - if not, temporarily turn it off again.

- Install TMGv8 to right the same program folder you used previously.

- Re-boot your computer.

- If necessary turn your virus scanner on.

- Start TMGv8 and immediately check whether HELP is functional from within TMGv8.

FIXED!!

I did just as Vera said but before reinstalling I checked Program Files and ProgramData - there were TMG7 and TMG remnants there. So I deleted them and ran CCleaner on the registry - no obvious problems. I installed TMG8 and, hey presto, the Help function works.

Thanks all

Alan

FIXED!!

I did just as Vera said but before reinstalling I checked Program Files and ProgramData - there were TMG7 and TMG remnants there. So I deleted them and ran CCleaner on the registry - no obvious problems. I installed TMG8 and, hey presto, the Help function works.

Thanks all

Alan

That's wonderful news, Alan. Great you finally got it working. Hopefully Dan will report the same.

You're very welcome.

Vera - -

Sorry for the delay in responding to you. I have reinstalled TNG v8 as you suggested and the "Help" function can once again be accessed from within the program. Thanks for your help!

Vera - -

Sorry for the delay in responding to you. I have reinstalled TNG v8 as you suggested and the "Help" function can once again be accessed from within the program. Thanks for your help!

That's wonderful to learn, Dan - thanks for the update.

Thank Jim who made the proposal to uninstall and reinstall. I just added my limited two cents "how to...". :)