Jim Fickett

Installing TMG8 on Windows XP

I downloaded the software and run the install, it never completes, hangs after 20+ minutes.

I need to power off the computer to shut it down.

After reboot, files are in the proper place, I can open the application and insert my key

After 48 hours all the object files are gone in programs/TMG8/ directory my data for TMG8 remains

Help....

You should not be storing any data in the program folder. That is not where TMG8 creates the user data folder in any event.

To see how TMG8 stores data, see the Data File Storage help topic.

My data is stored properly in the c:documents and settingsUSERIDmydocumentsthe master genealogist 8

the files that get deleted are in the c:program filesthe master genealogist 8

This follows the same structure as TMG7

Thanks for your help

Jim -

When you say the 'object files' are gone in 48 hours - do you mean that TMG was working and then stopped after 2 days and the files were missing? And it is the C:ProgramFiles (or C:ProgramFiles(x86)The Master Genealogist v8 folder and not C:ProgramDataThe Master Genealogist v8 folder where you do not see the files in Windows Explorer? And you have Windows Explorer set to show hidden files and folders?

If you are installing for a single user, you might try All Users.

Virginia

Virginia,

Although TMG8 installation did not complete properly, yes TMG8 was functional. I imported by TMG7 data into TMG8 and everythig seems to be just fine. I have not looked at all the "new" things but all of my data (10000+ persons) appears to be fine.

During the installation I selected the ALL USERS option along with the typical install

Windows Explorer is set to display all hidden files.

Jim

Virginia,

I did restore my TMG7 layout into my TMG8 and it works just fine.

I did note that TMG8 does not appear in my installed programs ( Add or remove programs) like TMG7 does.

I believe my installation stops in the registering programs

Thanks for your help

Jim

Virginia,

All eleven folder locations are listed.

The files go missing from C:Program FilesThe Master Genealogist v8

Very interesting file tmginstall.log

Last lines are as follows:

MSI (s) (E4:70) [15:21:31:796]: Executing op: RegSelfReg(File=ltocx14n.ocx,FileID=ltocx14n.ocx)

SelfRegModules: File: ltocx14n.ocx, Folder: C:WINDOWSsystem32

MSI (s) (E4:70) [15:21:32:015]: Executing op: SetTargetFolder(Folder=C:Program FilesThe Master Genealogist v8)

MSI (s) (E4:70) [15:21:32:015]: Executing op: RegSelfReg(File=vfp9r.dll,FileID=vfp9r.dll)

SelfRegModules: File: vfp9r.dll, Folder: C:Program FilesThe Master Genealogist v8

MSI © (68:B4) [15:58:08:851]: Disallowing shutdown. Shutdown counter: 0

note approx 37 minutes trying to do something with vfp9r.dll

Jim

Virginia,

I tried to install another different program that uses windows installer and this program stated the TMG8 was "hung up" and do you want windows installer to "back out" the changes.

This is the program that is removing the files.

Jim

Virginia

If i say No to the backout, the other program fails to install and terminates. When I said yes, it backed out the files in C:Program FilesThe Master Genealogist v8

Jim

Jim,

sorry for jumping in. I'd really like to know exactly about which "other program" you're talking.

Please be assured that I am not asking this question out of pure curiosity. However, it seems to me that there may be some kind of conflict between any programs and in order to have a chance to be of any help anybody would need to learn the exact details.

Vera,

The program in my case was Microsoft Visio 2007 (I needed to upgrade from 2003 for some other reason). What appeared to me was the TMG8 was "stuck" in the install process. When I needed to install Visio 2007, MSI realized there was something not complete, so it asked if I wished to back out the previous work (in this case TMG8) and install Visio 2007.

I believe that if an individual experiances what i did in the install process, regardless of program MSI tries to install, MSI will ask what you wish to do, back out TMG8 or quit the install you just tried.

Jim

Virginia,

I just tried to reinstall TMG8

I stopped at exactly the same spot..

tmginstall.log

MSI (s) (98:A0) [19:53:51:158]: Executing op: RegSelfReg(File=ltocx14n.ocx,FileID=ltocx14n.ocx)

MSI (s) (98:A0) [19:53:51:376]: Executing op: SetTargetFolder(Folder=C:Program FilesThe Master Genealogist v8)

MSI (s) (98:A0) [19:53:51:376]: Executing op: RegSelfReg(File=vfp9r.dll,FileID=vfp9r.dll)

SelfRegModules: File: vfp9r.dll, Folder: C:Program FilesThe Master Genealogist v8

MSI (s) (98:A0) [19:53:51:689]: Executing op: RegSelfReg(File=vfp9t.dll,FileID=vfp9t.dll)

SelfRegModules: File: vfp9t.dll, Folder: C:Program FilesThe Master Genealogist v8

I believe this may have some issue with my anitvirus software, I am running McAfee 8.5.0.781 virus definition 6593.0000

In the "hung" state of TMG8 install my daily virus scan will not execute as a scheduled task ( I do this every day)

Thanks for your help

Jim

Virginia,

I downloaded the TMG V8.1 install module vs the upgrade within TMG V8 and i got the exact same results.

form the file C:Documents and SettingsAll UsersApplication DataThe Master Genealogist v8 Installertmginstall.log

MSI (s) (B4:70) [15:58:25:232]: Executing op: SetTargetFolder(Folder=C:WINDOWSsystem32)

MSI (s) (B4:70) [15:58:25:232]: Executing op: RegSelfReg(File=bbListViewV.ocx,FileID=bbListViewV.ocx)

SelfRegModules: File: bbListViewV.ocx, Folder: C:WINDOWSsystem32

MSI (s) (B4:70) [15:58:25:435]: Executing op: RegSelfReg(File=LTRIO14N.DLL,FileID=LTRIO14N.DLL)

SelfRegModules: File: LTRIO14N.DLL, Folder: C:WINDOWSsystem32

MSI (s) (B4:70) [15:58:25:622]: Executing op: RegSelfReg(File=ltlst14N.ocx,FileID=ltlst14N.ocx)

SelfRegModules: File: ltlst14N.ocx, Folder: C:WINDOWSsystem32

MSI (s) (B4:70) [15:58:25:919]: Executing op: RegSelfReg(File=LTRVW14n.ocx,FileID=LTRVW14n.ocx)

SelfRegModules: File: LTRVW14n.ocx, Folder: C:WINDOWSsystem32

MSI (s) (B4:70) [15:58:26:138]: Executing op: RegSelfReg(File=Dzactx.dll,FileID=Dzactx.dll)

SelfRegModules: File: Dzactx.dll, Folder: C:WINDOWSsystem32

MSI (s) (B4:70) [15:58:26:309]: Executing op: RegSelfReg(File=toc19.ocx,FileID=toc19.ocx)

SelfRegModules: File: toc19.ocx, Folder: C:WINDOWSsystem32

MSI (s) (B4:70) [15:58:26:403]: Executing op: RegSelfReg(File=LTRPR14n.dll,FileID=LTRPR14n.dll)

SelfRegModules: File: LTRPR14n.dll, Folder: C:WINDOWSsystem32

MSI (s) (B4:70) [15:58:26:544]: Executing op: RegSelfReg(File=LTRTN14n.DLL,FileID=LTRTN14n.DLL)

SelfRegModules: File: LTRTN14n.DLL, Folder: C:WINDOWSsystem32

MSI (s) (B4:70) [15:58:26:966]: Executing op: RegSelfReg(File=bbFolderTree.ocx,FileID=bbFolderTree.ocx)

SelfRegModules: File: bbFolderTree.ocx, Folder: C:WINDOWSsystem32

MSI (s) (B4:70) [15:58:27:044]: Executing op: RegSelfReg(File=LTR14n.dll,FileID=LTR14n.dll)

SelfRegModules: File: LTR14n.dll, Folder: C:WINDOWSsystem32

MSI (s) (B4:70) [15:58:27:169]: Executing op: RegSelfReg(File=Duzactx.dll,FileID=Duzactx.dll)

SelfRegModules: File: Duzactx.dll, Folder: C:WINDOWSsystem32

MSI (s) (B4:70) [15:58:27:340]: Executing op: RegSelfReg(File=TList7.ocx,FileID=TList7.ocx)

SelfRegModules: File: TList7.ocx, Folder: C:WINDOWSsystem32

MSI (s) (B4:70) [15:58:27:544]: Executing op: RegSelfReg(File=foxhhelpps9.dll,FileID=foxhhelpps9.dll)

SelfRegModules: File: foxhhelpps9.dll, Folder: C:WINDOWSsystem32

MSI (s) (B4:70) [15:58:27:606]: Executing op: RegSelfReg(File=ltocx14n.ocx,FileID=ltocx14n.ocx)

MSI (s) (B4:70) [15:58:27:856]: Executing op: SetTargetFolder(Folder=C:Program FilesThe Master Genealogist v8)

MSI (s) (B4:70) [15:58:27:856]: Executing op: RegSelfReg(File=vfp9r.dll,FileID=vfp9r.dll)

MSI © (84:E4) [16:01:51:914]: Disallowing shutdown. Shutdown counter: 0

Thanks for your help,

Jim

Virginia,

Are you interested in the entire file C:Documents and SettingsAll UsersApplication DataThe Master Genealogist v8 Installertmginstall.log ? I can send you the entire file

Jim