Jim Fickett

Installing TMG8 on Windows XP

Jim -

I'm sorry you've had all these problems. Try contacting WG support directly here and refer them to your postings in this forum so they have the background. Tech support has been swamped but may be getting caught up now.

Virginia

Jim,

as Virginia already suggested: contact Wholly Genes Support.

The reason for the issues you are experiencing **may** be that a certain dll file is either missing on your computer, is not correctly registered or is only present in the wrong directory on your computer.

The name of this special dll file is MSVCR71.DLL which must be present and correctly registered in order to register VFP9 run time files needed by TMG, like VFP9R.DLL.

As I can see from the excerpts of TMG's install log file which you provided in this thread, that's the exact point where TMG always stops - say while trying to register the VFP9R.DLL > registration fails, most probably because it cannot locate MSVCR71.DLL > computer hangs and TMG's installation never finishes correctly.

MSVCR71.DLL at least needs to be present in C:WindowsSystem32 and also needs to be correctly registered.

Vera -

Do you believe then that this might be the same problem for which a solution was given in the Feb 2010 WG newsletter here and would those instructions (as is or modified for his new installation) apply in Jim's case?

Virginia

Virginia,

the situation as described in the newsletter applies to customers who are not able to start TMG, but have a successfull installation of TMG. That doesn't apply to Jim's case. He says: the installation never finishes.

And in case I've not missed it, in this thread here, Jim never mentioned that he received such an error message when he tried to start TMG. He doesn't seem to be able to start TMG at all - makes sense for an unsuccessfull installation, right? And since that's the case, he continously tries to install it but to no avail.

Besides that I think the installer of TMGv8 looks for / requires the necessary dll file: MSVCR71.DLL to be in C:WindowsSystem32 .

So my suggestion to Jim would be first to search his OS for the file in question and before doing anything beyond that point, provide a detailed report regarding the search results.

Jim.... if you find MSVCR71.DLL in C:WindowsSystem32 please right-click on it > say Properties and provide the details of this file: Size, Created, Modified

Edited by Vera Nagel
refined

Vera,

MSVRC71.DLL is in the proper directory, size 348160, created Mar 18. 2008, Modified Feb 21 2003, accessed 29 Jan 2012, version 7.10.3052.4

TMG8 will startup just fine, I did import my TMG7 data and everything seems just fine. When the MSI "backs out" the installation, my data files remain

TMG8 does not show up in installed programs (system) like TMG7.

Thanks for all you help and support

Jim

Jim,

MSVRC71.DLL is in the proper directory, size 348160, created Mar 18. 2008, Modified Feb 21 2003, accessed 29 Jan 2012, version 7.10.3052.4

Thanks. Yes, that's the correct file, correct file size, correct file version. Good.

TMG8 will startup just fine, I did import my TMG7 data and everything seems just fine.

That means that the installation completed successfully. Otherwise, what you describe would not have been possible. Good.

When the MSI "backs out" the installation, my data files remain

TMG8 does not show up in installed programs (system) like TMG7.

This can only mean that any other application / program on your system uninstalls / erases the TMGv8 program from your system. TMG will not uninstall itself automatically.

And the key to success is, to find out which other application / program / service running on your computer does that.

At this point I can only again suggest to contact Wholly Genes Support.

Sorry for not being of more help.