JohnR

Screen Layout Files

Upon running V8 I find that all my carefully prepared screen layouts in V7 have gone down the drain, which drain should I be looking in to apply them to V8?

Upon editing a layout in V8 I find that I am unable to move Name/Place without it dragging the date with it, all I want to do is increase the white space after date.

Upon running V8 I find that all my carefully prepared screen layouts in V7 have gone down the drain, which drain should I be looking in to apply them to V8?

Upon editing a layout in V8 I find that I am unable to move Name/Place without it dragging the date with it, all I want to do is increase the white space after date.

John,

if you don't see / cannot apply your v7 layouts in v8 then you probably did not include those into the backup of your v7 project which you restored in v8.

Layouts are not included into project backups by default.

So I'd suggest to backup your project again under v7 and on Step 3 "Options" in the Backup Wizard on the right side, under "Program items > check "Layouts".

Then restore this newly created v7 backup under v8 to right the same locations as you did before.

I did nothing about a backup. When V8 asked me for the project I just told it where to go! i.e. the V7 project.

I did nothing about a backup. When V8 asked me for the project I just told it where to go! i.e. the V7 project.

I am very sorry to say so, John, but that's not the recommended method.

see i.e. here "Wholly Genes latest Newsletter"

http://www.whollygen...showtopic=14125

section "Advice for Upgrading Users"

Also, you will need to BACKUP your data in TMG v7 (from the File menu) and RESTORE it to TMG v8.

I am very sorry to say so, John, but that's not the recommended method.

see i.e. here "Wholly Genes latest Newsletter"

http://www.whollygen...showtopic=14125

section "Advice for Upgrading Users"

Also, you will need to BACKUP your data in TMG v7 (from the File menu) and RESTORE it to TMG v8.

Possibly Wholly Genes could make this advice available when a customer purchases an upgrade rather than hiding it in some newsletter. I wonder what other data, layouts, accents etc that I have lost because of this lack of instructions?

John -

If you still have v7 (as far as I know there is no need to delete it) you can copy the layouts (*.lo) over to the proper v8 folder. Your accents should be with your project files. Do you not see them?

Jim can advise, but it may be that - while a Restore is recommended - no harm is done to the v7 project opened in v8. It still seems to go through a conversion process. In the Restore process you have the benefit of including layouts, custom toolbars, report definitions, etc.

Virginia

You simply need to use Windows Explorer to copy your layout files (.lo) from the TMG7 user program data folder to the TMG8 user program data folder. (Don't copy the Standard.lo. The program creates that.) You can check the Data Files Storage help topic to see the paths or tell me your operating system and I'll give you the paths.

The Date column is right-justified. Dragging the column header to the right of the Date column label increases the white space to the left of the date. Bottom line... You can't increase the white space after the dates in the Date column.

When V8 asked me for the project I just told it where to go! i.e. the V7 project.

That's fine if you are an advanced user but you should understand the consequences.

TMG7 and TMG8 are different programs. They have different default program folders and will have different default data paths (including different default Projects folders).

When a project is updated from TMG7 to TMG8, all of the paths used by the project will be set to the default TMG8 paths. If they need to be set to custom paths, then you need to edit the Advanced tab paths in Preferences.

When you update a TMG7 project to TMG8, it can no longer be opened by TMG7.

It is much cleaner and less confusing to keep the TMG7 and TMG8 programs and data cleanly separated from one another.

If you are an advanced user and use custom data paths, then you know already how to manage such things.

John -

Re the problem with date / name-place columns. The date column is joined to the place column; they move together. The date column is right justified and the name-place column is left justified. No extra space on either side. I agree it could use the space - but that may be a problem with proportional fonts. You might try a different font in a smaller size and see if you find something that looks better. I use Tahoma 8 or 9; I see a lot of Comic Sans being used.

Virginia

When V8 asked me for the project I just told it where to go! i.e. the V7 project.

That's fine if you are an advanced user but you should understand the consequences.

TMG7 and TMG8 are different programs. They have different default program folders and will have different default data paths (including different default Projects folders).

When a project is updated from TMG7 to TMG8, all of the paths used by the project will be set to the default TMG8 paths. If they need to be set to custom paths, then you need to edit the Advanced tab paths in Preferences.

When you update a TMG7 project to TMG8, it can no longer be opened by TMG7.

It is much cleaner and less confusing to keep the TMG7 and TMG8 programs and data cleanly separated from one another.

If you are an advanced user and use custom data paths, then you know already how to manage such things.

Thanks for all the advice. I was doing the upgrade at about 4am because I couldn't sleep having flown into London from LA. I read the backup warning as the usual "Make a backup before you go go" so I made the usual backup and carried on. Nowhere did I see any instruction about using the backup itself nor making a full backup. When I reached the welcome screen and the programme wanted to know the location of my .pjc file I gave it the existing location - simple really, except that it appears to have been wrong. Maybe consideration should be given to increasing the size of the health warning on the packet. The Wholly Genes newsletter probably lurks amongst several hundred as yet unread e-mails, offering me untold riches, and even nirvana itself.