david_hall

TMG v8 hangs at 20% completion while checking messages.

TMG v8 hangs at 20% completion while checking messages.

Reading earlier posts I see that message checking can be turned off in preferences.... but " catch 22", only after messages have been checked can preferences be accessed!

Any ideas to resolve?

David -

You can edit your app.ini file in Notepad and change the CheckMessageDays setting to 0 in the [startup] section, which is right at the top of the app.ini.

Your copy of the app.ini is in the User Program Data Folder, and it is located -

Windows 7 and Windows Vista

C:UsersusernameAppDataRoamingThe Master Genealogist v8

Windows XP and Windows 2000

C:Documents and SettingsusernameApplication DataThe Master Genealogist v8

[startup]

ReloadOnStart=No

ShowHintsform=No

SplashDelay=4

Welcome=1

WelcomeBack=2

SampleLocation=

CheckMessageLast=2455929

CheckMessageDays=0

CheckUpdateLast=2455930

CheckUpdateDays=0

Virginia

It is your virus protection stopping TMG from checking for updates. I have a ballon that comes up at 20% and asks me if I want to allow tmg to access the internet. If your virus protection is set not to ask, you never get the chance to allow TMG to finish checking so it hangs...

Janis Rodriguez

VP Arilington RUG

Edited by JanisR

I got TMG8 to load by disconnecting my computer from the internet. I then manually changed the setting under preferences. However, when I try to manually check the messages, the program still hangs at 20%. I checked my antivirus (Kapersky) and made everything associated with TMG8 trusted and the program still hangs at 20% when I check the messages. When I manually check the messages on TMG7 is works as it always has.

I have also checked my firewall and my router as well as my antivirus with no luck.

Any suggestions?