John Stark

Map co-ordinates not working

Place mapping does not work with any map supplier / latitude-longitude formation.

I have V7 working on one PC and the look-up works OK.

I have tried looking up the identical reference on another PC with V8 and none of available mapping sites can recognise the latitude-longitude co-ordinates.

I have discovered the new co-ordinate format options available in V8. I have set each one in turn and tried all the look-up options. None work.

TMG8 stores lat/long as digital coordinates. When a project is updated to v8, all latlong data is converted to digital coordinates. The Preferences settings only affect display in the program. All of the sites that I tested worked except for TerraServer and that needs an updated URL in the site specs.

I have a major problem with my coordinates. I think I know the cause, if these assumptions are correct:

• Coordinates will be displayed throughout TMG in the format chosen in the Preference setting, except for Tag Entry
  • The Tag Entry screen will always display the coordinates in the first of the digital format options in the Preferences settings
  • Irrespective of the chosen Preference setting, coordinates can only successfully be entered and edited using the first of the digital format options
  • Any coordinate value entered in the Tag Entry screen not conforming to the first of the digital format options will not be treated as a valid coordinate
  • TMG will fail to convert (without awarning) any coordinates that do not precisely match an expected format.

I have almost 1000 address coordinates which have not been converted on migration to V8. I suspect this is because I add additional data after the coordinates to indicate how accurate they are. For example 001122N0001122E (street), 001122N0001122E (district centre), 001122N0001122E (precise), etc., etc. This technique works in all the mapping sites and TMG7, but not apparently in V8.

(As an aside, I do this for the benefit of future researchers. I often glean precise locations from high detail historic maps to which others may not have access).

So, can you suggest how I might assimilate my old coordinates into V8? Life's too short to consider manual reformatting :no:

John,

Check your Preferences // Program Options // Prompts // Validate LAT/LONG value. That preference must be checked for conversions of data entered in that Location field to work.

Thanks Michael. Unfortnuately, the problem persists whatever the setting of the of the Validate LAT/LONG value.

I don't know anything about importing Lat/Long values from an existing V7 project. I simply have not tried that as I don't use Lat/Long. However, I tested this in V8 and it seems a setting of "Validate LAT/LONG value" being "on" will work only when a value is input. It seems TMG does not convert existing values which it already believes are text and not values.

Maybe some other user who is more familiar with Lat/Long will have a suggestion?

John,

it won't help with your current problem, but wouldn't the better place for your lat/long comments as to accuracy be in the comment field of the place?

Perhaps, and I've not checked, John Cardinal's TMG utility, when he has the TMG v8 version available, might be able to move your set text from lat/long into comments?

Leaving the lat/long field for coordinates only.