sandy repp

Opening old .sqz files

I received a disk made around 2000 with my husband's family data in a .sqz file. The uncle who originally did the research has passed on, as has his wife, so I don't know what genealogy program they used to compile and compress the information, I'm assuming TMG.

I first downloaded Sorenson Squeeze (which I understand is the source of the .sqz format) but was unable to open the file. I then found this site, and saw a post that said .sqz data could be accessed by "restoring" it in TMG. So, I downloaded the trial version of TMG (I have all my info in FTM) and tried restoring from TMG earlier versions but it tells me it can't find the .tmg file and it just keeps processing.

I'm stuck. What do I do now?

Thanks for any suggestions!

Sandy

As I understand it, SQZ files use the "ZIP" compression. Try to unzip the file. If you double-click on it using Windows 7 you should get an opportunity to extract the underlying files. It might be wise to first create a clean new directory (folder) to receive the extracted files as we don't know how many there are or what they are. TMG handles backups from earlier versions in different ways, so if it is a TMG backup you may have to open it first in an earlier version of TMG than the one you used.

If it has been compressed in a non-standard way, the program 7Zip may be your best bet. It is a free file compressor/decompressor which handles nearly all forms of compression.

Good luck with it!

Robert

Early TMG versions used the FoxPro SQZ file as a backup archive and this is not a ZIP file.

If the file came from TMG prior to v5, you should try import, not restore.

File / Import

Select 'The Master Genealogist v4.x or earlier BACKUP (*.SQZ)'.

That may or may not work.

If the SQZ came from an early version of TMG, you might need to talk to Support and they will want to examine the file.

There are also other genealogy databases that used the .SQZ file extension: Family Gathering, Roots IV, Roots V, Ultimate Family Tree, Visual Roots. (Thanks, Terry.)

Edited by Jim Byram
additions

I received a disk made around 2000 with my husband's family data in a .sqz file. The uncle who originally did the research has passed on, as has his wife, so I don't know what genealogy program they used to compile and compress the information, I'm assuming TMG.

I first downloaded Sorenson Squeeze (which I understand is the source of the .sqz format) but was unable to open the file. I then found this site, and saw a post that said .sqz data could be accessed by "restoring" it in TMG. So, I downloaded the trial version of TMG (I have all my info in FTM) and tried restoring from TMG earlier versions but it tells me it can't find the .tmg file and it just keeps processing.

I'm stuck. What do I do now?

Thanks for any suggestions!

Sandy

If by chance the .sqz file is not a TMG backup it might be a UFT (Ultimate Family Tree) backup which also used a .sqz.

If it is a UFT backup you can import it into TMG by using the Import Wizard and selecting as the source Ultimate Family Tree backup.

Thanks for all the helpful suggestions! Here's what I did and learned:

RESTORE

Using the Restore Wizard, I tried ALL the options: "Restore All", "Restore Customizations" and "Restore Project" twice each, once with the "use without saving changes" button checked, and once with "save as a new configuration" checked. These each immediately gave me a popup box that said "DynaZip UnZIP Error: Zip file structure invalid".

After clicking "Okay" to each DyanZip error, I was taken to Step 2 Data. when I click "Next" however, a box comes up from The Master Genealogist that says "The selected backup file cannot be restored by the current version of The Master Genealogist. It may be an older backup format that is supported by the Import Wizard however".

IMPORT

In the Import Wizard, I tried simple and advanced Wizards for every genealogy program that used a (*.SQZ ) file type. The results were:

TMG v 4.x or earlier = red message saying "File *.tmg not found"

Family Gathering Backup, Roots IV, Ultimate Family Tree, & Visual Roots all say "Cannot find event library (V-ELBook)"

Soooo...

1. Does this tell you anything about what program held this data originally, so I can narrow down what I'm trying?

2. Should I be trying to find someone running a really early version of (some program?) that could perhaps open and export the data for me?

3. Or, could the floppy be too old to yield data?

Thanks for your thoughts on this. I'm game to keep trying if there's something to try!

Sandy

Sandy,

my suggestion would be to email Wholly Genes Support here and attach a copy of the file you're having trouble with to that email.

Ask whether WG support may be able to help you.

I've encountered the same problem with an old sqz file.  It has a LOT of data on it.  Did you find a solution?  I"m pretty sure mine was made with Family Tree Maker. I know it was done in 1998.

Edited by Alison N

Alison,

You should try the steps that Sandy used in the third post above yours (except for Support since that's not an option).

I don't recall FTM using a backup with a .SQZ extension and .SQZ is not listed as an import option in the current FTM17.

I can try UFT if you send me the file.

You can contact me by email by clicking on the link below...

Jim Byram