Roich

Cannot backup..Invalid Path or File Name

Hi and Help,

I cannot backup my TMG v8 file. It seems like it's the same issue others are having, but here is my story.

I am using Win XP Pro sp3, TMG v8, and 300gig free. When I first tried to backup, I got the “Invalid Path or File Name” error. So I clicked on canx and then went to close TMG only to get the error that said "Cannot Quit Visual FoxPro". Then I couldn’t close TMG because each time I got the same error. I read here about checking the backup directory properties and mine had a solid green box. Cleared it, tried again, same error. Then I clicked on the three ... so I could pick a new directory and re-picked the v8 backup. No good. Next, I unchecked the "Generate archive name automatically" leaving the same path and name in. This time I got "Warning: the project is in use elsewhere It cannot be backed up while in use." I went into Windows Task Manager and saw only one instance of it opened. Looked on the property tab and only one tmgv8.exe running.

Any other ideas?

Thanks,

Rich

Hi,

Still stuck.. HOWEVER, I opened the sample project and I could back it up without any problems..go figure

Rich

Rich -

In the Sample project (where the backup worked), go to Step 2 where the default path to the backup location is presented and see if and how that path differs from the same Step 2 default path in your project. For example, is one My Documents and the other simply Documents? Can you backup your project to the same path as the Sample project uses (putting your project into its ow folder)?

In your own project is the the Backup Step 2 path the same as the Backup path in Preferences / Current Project Options / Advanced?

Virginia

Virginia,

Thanks for the response.

Here is step 2 for each. I don't see a difference.

SELECT PROJECT:

c:Documents and SettingsRichMy DocumentsThe Master Genealogist v8ProjectsHENRY BROWN__.PJC

c:Documents and SettingsRichMy DocumentsThe Master Genealogist v8ProjectsSamplesample__.PJC

SELECT BACKUP FILE:

C:Documents and SettingsRichMy DocumentsThe Master Genealogist v8BackupsHENRY BROWN 2012-01-17 17-17-10.sqz

C:Documents and SettingsRichMy DocumentsThe Master Genealogist v8Backupssample 2012-01-17 17-18-53.sqz

The Backup path in Preferences / Current Project Options / Advanced are the same:

C:Documents and SettingsRichMy DocumentsThe Master Genealogist v8Backups

C:Documents and SettingsRichMy DocumentsThe Master Genealogist v8Backups

Ok, tried cut & paste the backup path from the sample. Get same error, “Invalid Path or File Name”

Tried changing sample to sampleA using my file. Get the same

Opened sample, step 2 changed to my file and I changed the backup to all usersapp dataTMG8 - same error.

Earlier in the day, I ran maintenance, VFI and optimize. 4 potential errors fixed.

Could it be the file naming structure? All caps and a space in between? I'll try coping my file and see if I can rename it and then open and save it.

Rich

OK,

I made a new subdirectory under Projects and restored an older backup of my file. It asked if I wanted to overwrite a bunch of files in the config directory, I said no. I opened the project and all looked ok. Went to backup and got the same “Invalid Path or File Name” error.

You obviously are including non-project items in the backup.

Try a Project Only backup and include only the project files, accents and filters.

Hi Roich

I am experiencing exactly the same issues but with Win 7 Home Premium 64 Bit. I have the issue logged under another thread so hopefully someone will crack it soon. I have also reported the issue to technical support twice now but no response as yet.

Good luck.

Regards

David

Jim,

IT WORKED!

Step 1 I choose the backup project

Step 2 Let it pick the project and backup file

Step 3 checked data files, accents, and filters. unchecked external exhibits, Nothing else on step 3 was "checked".

Step 4 Compression Normal

Step 5 Finish and it did

Now, what are "non-project items"?

I've run backup through a few different ways (choices), and found if I unchecked external exhibits, I can do a complete backup.

Thanks, now I can breathe again as I have been using the "batch" loader to fill in families and didn't want to lose them or the exhibits attached to them.

Thanks,

Rich

Rich -

If you walk through the Backup Wizard, you will see the options for Customizations (non-project options) - custom toolbars, layouts, color schemes, report options, etc. I regularly backup only Project files, accents, and filters. Less frequently I make separate backups of customizations - which don't change as often and are not quite so critical to lose. It is generally recommended that external exhibits be backed up outside of TMG, particularly if the exhibits are stored in a folder tree. Restore will flatten a folder tree. See the Warning at the bottom of the Help / Restore article.

For more information on TMG data files, see the menu Help / Access Folders where you can view the three Data File Storage (DFS) folders (Shared program, User program, User data) and their contents. Complete details are in Help / Data File Storage. As a long-time TMG user, knowing where my data files are is like knowing where my children are at night - reassuring and important in an emergency.

Virginia