Granddaddy

Upgraded to TMG 8.01 and now reports and backups do not work

TMG 8 was working fine for me until I installed the version 8.01 upgrade. Now reports and backups do not work at all. I haven't tried all the functions as this seemed enough of a failure to deal with for now.

When I click on Report in the menu bar and select any one of the reports (either the default names or my custom names for reports I created), TMG opens a window showing the folders in the TMG 8 installation folder. The title bar of the window says Locate comdlg32.ocx:

If I then click Cancel, I get an error message that says:

OLE error code 0x80040154: Class not registered. 70

REPORTOBJ.MRUNRPT

If instead I click Retry in the error message box I get an error message that says:

OLE error code 0x80040154: Class not registered. 123

REPORTOBJ.MRUNRPT

Similarly, when I click on File/Backup... I get the same window popup as described above. Clicking on Cancel results in the error message:

OLE error code 0x80040154: Class not registered. 35

MENUOBJTMG.MBACKUPWIZARD

I am using Windows 7 x64 Professional. My TMG 8 project opens and the various Current Project Options seem correct, including the advanced options specifying the folders where the various files are stored. Those files are in place on my hard drive.

How do I get reports and backups to work again?

Edited by Granddaddy

The first thing to try is to run the installer again and click [Repair].

If you got the installer using 'Check for an update', you'll find it in this folder:

"C:ProgramDataThe Master Genealogist v8 Installer" (in the subfolder)

I have the same problem, but can't locate the installer program to try to "repair" it. I don't seem to find any version of 8.1 to even try to reinstall it. The 8.0 one is in my download folder, but I updated from the "check for updates" and it started the installation process when it said my 8.1 upgrade download was still in the works. A lot of the problems I had with 8.0 seem to be fixed, and it says I am running version 8.1, but I cannot backup anything. I get the same error messages that were described here. How can I get the installer program to try and repair it?

If you are running Windows 7 or Vista you will find it in C:Program DataThe Master Genealogist v8 Installer. That directory may be hidden, in which case you have to open the file explorer ("My Computer"), press the ALT key, and select Tools/Folder Options/View tab and check "Show hidden files, folders and drives."

I don't know where you would find it if you are running Windows XP, but there are others attending to this forum who do.

It may be easier still to go to the Wholly Genes web site and click on "Download a free 30 day trial." That will get you to a download for the TMG 8.01 installer, the US version. The UK version is elsewhere on the web site -- it was posted somewhere on the Rootsweb mailing list. There are only about 1400 messages to plow through for this month, but I think there is a search function.

I hope this helps.

Robert

Edited by Robert Jacobs

I had found the installer in a hidden file using a search of my C drive, but when I tried to run it, I got an error message and it wouldn't work. I took your suggestion and went and downloaded a whole new 30 day trial file, ran it successfully, did the repair, and now everything seems to working like I expected!

Thank you!!

Kathy

Knew I spoke too soon. The repair seemed to work, but when I went to create a gedcom, I was right back where I started before I updated to 8.1. Now the reports and backups work, but I'm getting error messages and the create gedcom fails and locks my computer. I have to use taskmanager to end the TMG program. That was my initial problem to begin with. I've done the updates on both my desktop and netbook with success, but the laptop where I've had all these problems is my primary computer. All are running windows 7. I tried to run the repair again, but the installer is generating an error message and won't complete. I've even tried uninstalling TMG8 and downloaded a whole new startup file and reinstalled it, but the gedcom build is still failing. I know when I uninstalled the program, there were several files left behind in addition to my exhibits, projects and backups. Is it possible something got corrupted in one of them that is preventing a clean new install?