Peter Frederick

Printer not activated, error code -30 (from VCF)

Platform Win7 Professional 64bit SP1

TMG Ver 8.01 UK Gold

When I generate a simple Ancestor Descendant Chart from TMG, it generates the chart and shows it to me in VCF.

If I try to print it to the 'Wholly Genes PDF Writer v4', I get an activation error alert box like this:

Activation Error

Printer not activated, error code -30

It in fact does this when I try to use that printer from anywhere (eg: MS Word 2010).

Following Jim's V8 Tips, I removed the printer from 'Printers and Faxes', searched for the dll Jim suggested cdintf400.dll and found this dll file in

C:windowssystem32spooldriversx643

C:windowssysWOW64

I deleted it in both places, and went into TMG to install the PDF printer. That process appeared to work fine and said it installed properly.

Unfortunately the error is still there when I go back to try to use it again.

Any thoughts or suggestions?

Regards

Peter

Edited by Peter Frederick

My tip was very specific to deal with a specific problem and has nothing to do with your issue.

You can't select the 'Wholly Genes PDF Writer v4' as a system printer or as a printer driver from any application including TMG and VCF.

That driver is only used by TMG when PDF is selected as the output file type on the Report Definition Screen.

If you want to print to PDF from VCF, you need to install a PDF printer driver such as PDF995.

I know that but at least your post told me how to get rid of it and reinstall it :lookaround:

I just picked it because TMG V8 added it and I couldn't see any other way to print to PDF from VCF.

I already have an Adobe PDF Printer installed and obviously it works fine - I've also used ones like CutePDF and Bullzip before.

The only reason I tried this is someone at our user group meeting brought this up as a problem - so they obviously thought it was how you did it. I hadn't seen it before. It failed at the meeting (under a Win XP V8 installation). It failed when I tried it at home which is why I posted this message.

Well what is it used for then and why is it there as a printer that I 'seemingly' can use - I can select it.

Thanks

Peter

Edited by Peter Frederick

Peter -

There is a good bit of discussion on the VCF forum about using PDF printers with charts - for example this thread. Both CutePDF and Bullzip will work. Browse that forum to find threads with more PDF info, including how to set the paper size.

To see all messages on the forum, use the Custom button in the blue bar at the top and set the filter as in the screenshot below:

VCFcustom.png

Virginia

Thanks Virginia - I'll jump over to that forum an have a read.

Regards