debbieshields

TMG8 Project Explorer missing names

There are blank lines in the Project Explorer, and if I click on one of them I get a blank person view. Sorted by ID number, the 8th line from the bottom is blank - this is #2146. 2117, 2088, and 2032 are also blank. If I GOTO that person by ID#, they show up properly but the links to other shown in their person view do not work. If I start from a related person and move from person to person by clicking on the links, then the links for the problem person work fine. Sorted by Surname, the 9th person from the bottom is blank plus a few others - not the same names as when sorted by ID number.

Assuming that this is a bug, I installed the 8.01 update - but that disaster is another topic.

Running on Windows 7

Debbie Shields

Dear Debbie,

Make sure you're backed up. Then run "Verify File Integrity" from File/Maintenance, followed by "Optimize" from the same menu.

When you say "the links to other shown in their person view do not work" are you double-clicking the names in the person view or clicking them in the project explorer? If the latter, you may not have the PE set to link to other windows. You do that by right-clicking in the PE.

If the former, I don't know what to suggest. There may be someone else attending to this forum who can help.

If you have ID numbers with no data whatever, no name, no tags I'd delete them (Edit/Delete person(s).

Hope this helps.

Robert

Debbie -

This happens occasionally, more often when the Sort order is other than Surname. It is a temporary glitch and usually changing the Sort order or changing focus to another person will clear it up. No data is lost and there was no need to reinstall. I'm sorry you had that extra work.

A good place to get quick answers to problems like this is the TMG Rootsweb mailing list - a very active group of long time users with lots of experience. You can subscribe to the list here. The mailing list Archives Search is here.

Virginia

I have changed the Sort order to ID number, to Surname, Given, Birth date, to Primary Birth date, and back again - there still are blanks, but the names which are blank are different in each order. When I change the order back to ID number, the blanks are still the same names that were blank when I had it sorted by ID number before.

For each sort order, I have figured out who should be in the blank (easy to do when the order is by ID number) and when I go to them by ID number, there is always data. I have not yet found a record that is actually blank.

I have run Verify Integrity and Optimize - no change. I have closed the program and re-opened - no change.

When I say "the links to other names don't work", I mean that when I double-click on a parent or child in the person view, the view does not change to that name. If I go to the ID number of the parent, then double-click from there to the problem child, then the child's links work.

This problem has been around for years now. I had it in TMG v6 and thought by v8 it would have been fixed, but I got it this morning. I haven't looked at my tree for a while now so haven't seen this bug in v8 before, but it used to happen often in v6 and v7.

The easy fix is to right click in the project explorer window and select preferences. Change your "Identify Primary Name with" option to the one you're not using (Bold or Asterisk) and apply. Then change it back and click OK. You should have a complete list with no gaps.

Like I say, this is an old problem and should have been fixed ages ago. We shouldn't have to pay for new versions when old bugs like this still exist.

Thanks for verifying the bug - which creates another mystery: why did Wholly Genes technical support make me jump through so many hoops (reinstall, uninstall & reinstall, change this, change that, etc) for a known bug of long standing?

Changing the preferences & changing back did NOT fix it.

Debbie -

I have seen this problem only rarely. Are there similar blanks in the Sample Project? In Preferences for the Project Explorer the only options I have checked are ID number and Asterisk, and the only PE filter is for names - Both.

Re doubleclcking on a name to change focus. Try clicking once to highlight the name and then doubleclick.

Virginia.

I don't see the problem in the sample project - but the sample only has 45 names. My project has over 2000 names, and I suspect that the number of names is relevant, since the gaps only appear with the higher ID numbers when sorted by ID number.

I turned off all preference for PE except ID number & asterisk - no effect.

I don't know why you are upset with Support since they can't fix it. They do not do the program development.

This is the sort of bug that is very difficult to fix since it can't be replicated at will.

There are many 'known' bugs but I don't know it's in the bug list. And sometimes what is there is very well hidden because of how it's written up. Looking...

Is this the issue?

"After a long session adding new people and editing old ones the names in the Project Explorer disappeared leaving just the tree structure visible."

That is the complete bug report and the only one that might be appropriate.

I added your description and this will bump the bug report to the top of the pile.

Edited by Jim Byram