Mike Nolen

Problem Printing PDF Reports

TMG v8.01 on Windows Vista Home Premium SP2

I tried to print various reports to Adobe Reader (PDF). All was Ok until after the 'Converting...' step.

Next screen was an 'Activation Error' window containing "Printer not activated, error code: -30".

Pressing OK was followed by a 'TerPrint2, Error code: 15' window containing "Unable to Start the Print Job." After OK, the next window was a 'TMG' window containing

"Error exporting to C:\Users\...\Report_Output\filename.PDF."

Pressing OK again closed the 'Report Definition Screen' for the report and returned to the Details screen.

On the 'Control Panel - Printers' display Wholly Genes PDF Writer Version 4 setup appeared normal and used Amyuni PDF Converter Version 4.0.1.2.

I attempted to print a test page using the 'Print Test Page' tab on Wholly Genes PDF Writer Version 4 Properties window and received an 'Activation Error' window containing "Printer not activated, error code: -30".

Pressing OK showed a 'Printer Properties' window stating the test page did not print; asked to run the printer trouble-shooter (none of items applied); said the device was not ready.

All Windows Updates installed. Among recent Windows Updates was one from Amyuni, 1/24/2012.

I had not tried to print a report to Adobe Reader (PDF) prior to this date.

How does Wholly Genes PDF Writer Version 4 get activated?

I have the same problem on a laptop running Windows 7 Home Premium.

I don't think you can print test pages from the PDF printer. It's designed to accept PDF reports from TMG. Try right clicking the printer object, slect "printer properties," and make sure the "nul" port is selected. If there is no nul port, add it from the "add port" button.

HTH

Robert

Edited by Robert Jacobs

The Amyuni driver is used by several popular applications by Intuit (QuickBooks and TurboTax that I am aware of) and apparently TMG is competing for use of some of the Amyuni components. I use TurboTax and I have updated it several times recently as well as installed an Amyuni update distributed by Windows Update. I don't know how, but I suspect this competition is causing my inability to use TMG's report writing to PDF. The source of the problem may lie in the cdintf.dll file. My guess.

I have been able to print a PDF from TurboTax.

I need your help.

Mike

Mike -

Did you try setting the nul port per Jim's instructions here ? I use Quicken and TurboTax and this fixed the problem for me. In the previous message in that same thread, Jim has some other suggestions for the PDF Printer problem.

Virginia

Thank all of you for your suggestions. I had read the proposed fixes before I started this topic. In the past few days I have uninstalled TMG v8 and the vestiges of its files in the Program Default Data Paths; then reinstalled TMG v8. The Amyuni PDF Writer v4 installed properly, but I had to reassign the port from LPT1 to NULL. I still have the problem I reported on 5 FEB at 2:20PM. The printing problem starts with an Activation Error window containing "Printer not activated, error code: -30".

What is the source of this error and What is the fix? What does Amyuni have to say about this error?

Still need help.

Mike

In devices and printer you should see a "Wholly Genes PDF Writer v4." That's the one whose port should be set to NUL (I don't know if it matters, but there's only one "L" on mine). The Amyuni driver could have been installed by Quicken, and perhaps by other programs. When I had this problem with TMG 7.04, I deleted the Amyuni printer, reinstalled TMG and it's printer then behaved properly after I had set the port. The quicken PDF writer came back in due course. Your mileage may vary.

Robert

Edited by Robert Jacobs

Sorry, I spelled NUL: incorrectly. The printer port for the Wholly Genes PDF Writer v4 is spelled correctly as you stated above and after being deleted many times. I also checked all the printer names and do not have an Amyuni Printer installed.

Mike

I'm sorry -- it may have gone beyond me now. One other TMG quirk is that the report writer requires that there be a physical printer installed before reports can be made. I don't think the printer actually needs to be present, but there has to be at least an installed driver. You might also try toggling between the "windows default printer" and a "selected" physical printer in the printer setup menu.

And just to verify -- when you direct a report to the PDF "printer," you are choosing "Adobe Reader (PDF)" as the file type and giving a file name in a directory which physically exists on your machine?

Hope this helps. For me, the next step involves Tarot cards or something equally reliable.

R.

Edited by Robert Jacobs

I have TMG V8.04 on Win7 64-bit. When I try to create a report in PDF format, TMG hangs up (program "not responding").

On Printers, I show Wholly Genes PDF Writer v3 installed and the Port checked is NewPort.

Please advise.

On Printers, I show Wholly Genes PDF Writer v3 installed and the Port checked is NewPort.

Please advise.

You don't have the version of the PDF driver used by TMG8 installed.

Use File / Printer Setup... / [install PDF printer] to install the printer driver.

You also might need to do this (but it's not normally necessary).

http://www.whollygen...indpost&p=57963

Did you install the PDF Printer: File / Printer Setup / Install PDF Printer ? It is the Wholly Genes PDF Writer 4 in Devices and Printers.

The port should be set to nul: To set the port, rightclick on the printer and select Printer Properties / Ports. On my computer (Win7 64-bit), the Wholly Genes Writer uses the same Amyuni driver as the Quicken Printer, so I can rightclick on the Quicken printer or Wholly Genes writer (whichever is showing) and select the other one, say for setting preferences. They appear to work together seamlessly.

Virginia

Thanks for all the help. Still have TMG v. 8.04.

I just went ahead and did exactly as described above; W.G. PDF Writer 4 (located in Devices and Printers) was "installed" but had a "problem" symbol showing. Then I changed the Port to "nul", as it was checked for LPT1. PDF Writer 4 is not set as my Default printer. I note a little "2 heads" symbol on the PDF Writer 3, but no "2 heads" symbol on PDF Writer 4 "printer".

I then tried to create a PDF report; Destination , "Save to: PDF". TMG started creating report, a flag displayed "Please Wait", the cursor disappeared. After at least 5-min., I tried to see the report and TMG screen went grey "Not Responding".

I did see the PDF file listed in the Report folder. Trying to open the file caused a flag; "error opening the document..... file open or in use".

Finally, when I look at the PDF Writer 4 to "see whats printing..", I see the list of attempts (4 so far) to create a PDF file.

BTW, I still have TMG v.7 and PDF Writer 3 installed; any conflict there?

I wonder if the 'error opening the document..file open or in use' might refer to the 4 queued reports in the PDF Writer. I think there is a rightclick option on that printer to delete the queue. You might try that.

I still have v7 and PDF Writer 3 installed, so there should be no conflict there.

Virginia

Virginia,

Thanks; Looks like you have a point. WG PDF Writer 4 still has 4 documents (stuck?) in the printer que and cannot be deleted. When I click on "cancel all docs", the Status shows "Deleting" for all docs but they are not deleted.

Maybe I need to re-install W/G PDF Writer 4 but how?

You wrote that you saw the PDF file listed in the Report folder and trying to open the file caused a flag; "error opening the document..... file open or in use".

What Report folder - the report output folder where you keep your documents and the file had a .pdf extension?

I don't know that it would make a difference in the printer queue deletion, but try rebooting your computer and see if that clears it.

Virginia

Virginia,

Rebooting the PC did the trick. After rebooting, the W/G PDF Writer 4 showed no documents in the Printer queue. Then I was able to create a PDF document using TMG v.8. TMG v8 works well and these PDF files look good.

So, my problem probably started with the Writer 4 Port NOT set to "nul", as this was the real change I made (from "LPT1".

BTW, the previous PDF files made on 5/23, cannot be opened and the Reader reports "not supported... or damaged".

Many thanks for your help..