Bobanywhere

Exhibit Folder Not Found

When attempting to open TMG v7 the above error message appears and goes on to ask if I want to use the default Exhibit Folder. Clicking 'yes' will open v7 and everything functions okay. Why does this error occur and can I eliminate it so that v7 opens 'normally'?

A second question, and perhaps part of the above question, occurs when I try to backup v7. I get another error message that says "Input file read failure. This error occurs when a file read operation is performed on a zip file that is locked or restricted by another process". This has caused major problems because I need the backup so it can be used to restore when completing installation of v8 thjat I bought/downloaded.

I feel that there is some connection with these issues that was caused when I changed computers and went from Win Vista to Win 7.

Your help/assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Bob Boxell

Dear Bob,

I think the first thing to do is to check whether the directory paths named as the default exhibit and backup directories correctly point to the actual directories. It may be that in your transition from Vista to Win7 files were differently located than they were before. There are two places in TMG where the backup directory is named: first, in preferences/advanced where the default directory is established. But sometimes that value is overridden by a preselected backup which TMG is trying to repeat. That directory name would show up in the backup wizard during the course of starting the operation.

Is the backup you are attempting to write being sent to a hard disk with plenty of space? Some users have had trouble backing up to flash drives.

I hope thhis solves some of the problem. All good wishes.

Robert

Bob -

I don't think the two problems are related.

Re default exhibit folder message (try the second option first):

-- One possibility: your exhibits are not located in the same location(s) as the records in the

Exhibits table. Use the External Exhibits feature of Validate File Integrity to update the

exhibit links: File / Maintenance / Validate File Integrity.

-- You also want to update the Exhibits path in Preferences to the current

Exhibits location. File / Preferences / Current Project Options / Advanced / Exhibit path

A common cause of the Backup error is backing up directly to an external medium - like a thumb drive. Try backing up to your C:\ drive and then copy that .sqz file to your external medium. Same thing when restoring on the other computer; first copy the sqz file to the computer and restore from there. You can also try separate backups and restores - Backup Project and then Backup Customizations.

Let us know if these suggestions help -

Virginia

Will wonders never cease? I'm not too sure what I did, but, Robert, I reset the defaults in the advanced options section and that apparently solved two of my problems, e.g., the 'exhibit folder not found' error code has disappeared and I also was able to backup v7 to my hard drive and get the .sqz file. However, with my limited computer knowledge, I can't find the .sqz file so I can copy it to a disc and use it to complete the installation of v8. Can you help?

Thanks to both of you, Bob and Virginia.

Bob

First look in the default TMG7 backup directory. If it's not there, then use your file manager (i.e., "My Computer") to search for *.sqz. The search box in Windows 7 is at the top right of the "My Computer" screen. It may take a few minutes, depending on whether the file wound up in an indexed directory or not.

Once you've found it you can point TMG8 (use the restore function) at it and you should be good to go.

Robert

Thanks for ypour insight, Robert. I finally was able to correct the problems and backup all five of my TMG family groups that I am tracking. And I have successfully restored all of them from a disc into version 8. Now if the TMG office folks will send the 'unlock code' I'll be able use the program!! I purchased the upgrade a few days ago and still haven't received the unlock code but I have requested that it be sent. Thanks again for your help - and have a great day,

Bob