Granddaddy

Why does Wholly Genes not use this forum for announcements?

I'm wondering why Wholly Genes does not use the Wholly Genes Community to keep us informed about issues with The Master Genealogist.

The latest example is the withdrawn version 8.02 update that has caused confusion and some consternation. The withdrawal was announced on the RootsWeb TMG group but not here, and that only after prodding by the community of customers.

Note that anyone who posts to RootsWeb has his message and e-mail address stored in a public archive searchable by anyone on earth. I will not join and post to RootsWeb because of my past experience with ListServ and similar mailing list software.

I think Wholly Genes should communicate with its customers via the Wholly Genes Community bulletin boards, not through third party public mailing lists.

Release announcements are made in the newsletters which are posted on this message board.

Why are releases initially posted on the TMG mailing list? The answer is simple. The most experienced TMG users, for the most part, use and prefer the mail list. When a release is ready, these users act as the 'canary in the coal mine' for the release. If something unanticipated happens (as was the case with v8.02), the release can quickly be pulled until the issue is corrected.

The withdrawal was announced on the RootsWeb TMG group but not here, and that only after prodding by the community of customers.

While your first statement is correct, the second is not. What triggered the withdrawal announcement was the first message reporting the installer problem. The notice that the v8.02 release was being withdrawn was sent to the mail list immediately after the issue was replicated.

Granddaddy -

It is not necessary to subscribe to the TMG mailing list to take advantage of the help and information available there.

The monthly archives can be viewed here (updating the last 2 digits each month). The TMG mailing list search engine here is an invaluable resource for troubleshooting a problem. I keep links to both on my browser toolbar.

The maling list can be particularly helpful to new users for 'how to use TMG' questions. In addition, problems are often first identified - and frequently solved by other users - on the mailing list.

Virginia

You can also receive TMG-L messages via RSS just subscribe with your favorite news reader using the URL below.

http://archiver.root...s/t/tmg/TMG.rss

no need to display your email address anywhere

Edited by ggilbert1

All,

Why couldn't a Message Manager announcement have been released?

That would have perhaps alleviated the problem.

Dave O.