Sign in to follow this  
R L McIlvain

searching expanded pick list

I upgraded to V8 last week. I have almost 18000 names in the data base. The problem I'm having is incredibly slow search response. It takes at least 4 seconds to page down in the pick list. I use the expanded pick list, since I usually need to see spouses names. I did not have this problem in V7. Accents are turned off. Any suggestions appreciated.

BTW, my old version #7 is still installed. Could this be a problem?

I think you can rule out the presence of V7; it might be worthwhile to run a controlled comparison of the search in V7 & V8 to discover exactly the dimensions of the difference. Have as little other software running as possible when you do the timed tests.

Robert

I use the expanded Picklist a lot, and get almost instantaneous response in V8. Is your Picklist filtered? A complex filter can really slow down the Picklist.

This happened to me when I switched from TMG 7.04 to TMG 8. Turned out that my Accents had switched from Flags to relationships (i.e. "Is an ancestor or descendant"). Once I fiddled a bit and changed back to having my Accents tied to Flags, everything was OK.

Hopes this helps

Loni

Thank you all for replying.

Under the options tab in the pick list view, there are some options for "Apply accent settings on:' Father;s, mother's and spouses columns. When I cleared these, the problem went away. This happened even with Accents turned off.

Very interesting. I think I see that too, but it's difficult to be sure. With 23,000 names in my database, using Accents based on Flags the Picklist opens and pages almost instantly. Using a pair of "Is and ancestor of..." Accents the opening and paging takes "forever." When I leave those settings in place, but turn off Accents, it seems to be faster, but still slower than with Accents based on Flags.