dcurtis17

F3 Repeat Key

I have been using TMG for a long time and currently am using TMG 8. Recently I found I can not use the F3 repeat key to repeat entries such as date, city, county and state when doing inputting. I thought it was my keyboard. I tried using the F3 key for data entry in Microsoft Windows table file and with an excel spread sheet. It works fine. The only time I am having a problem is with TMG data entry. I have made sure there is something in the various fields before trying to repeat the entry. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thank you. Dave Curtis

Dave -

Is there any chance you are seeing the situation described in Help?

"NOTE: While usually repeats the most recent entry in a field,

there is one situation where this is not true. If you press in a

field that already contains an entry, and if that entry was made

within the last 15 entries, then TMG will insert the entry that

follows it on the list of the last 15 entries. You can access the list

of the last 15 entries by pressing +. If you want to insert

the last entry, delete the contents of the field before pressing ."

Virginia

Yes, I have been using version 8 for over a month with no problems with the repeat key, or data entry.

The repeat files are deleted when you refresh the repeat files and will have no data until you do subsequent data entry. You can't determined whether the F3 key works until you do some data entry for any given field.

Thank Virginia and Jim for your response to my problem. I still am not able to get any response from the F3 key. Last night I again went to File/Maintenance/Initialize Repeat Files. The initializing was successful. I understand this removed whatever was in my files to be repeated. I then entered seven new names into my database. With each one I typed in a city, county and state location. On four of them I entered notes in the memo box. This way I knew I had data in these fields. I then entered a seventh person and tried the repeat key in city, county, state and memo fields. The result in each case was a blank field.

I also put the cursor in the state field and pressed, <Control>.+<F3> in hopes of accessing the list of the last entries. The field remained blank and did not show me I had previously entered anything in this field...

I hope someone has an answer to this as this is getting frustrating. Thank you.

Hmmm... Just a wild guess, but are you using a laptop? Is it possible you have pressed some key combination that toggles the meanings of Function keys? MicroSoft applications may be able to cope, but it is possible TMG needs them to work "normally". I only ask since you imply they used to work, so something must have changed?

If you mean the settings of your function keys, unfortunately they are usually very different for different manufacturers, and even different for different models of the same manufacturer. Your computer's hardware documentation should help.

Dave -

You said earlier that F3 worked all right in other programs - so that would seem to eliminate the keyboard. Check your settings for the Repeat files in Preferences / Advanced as Helmut suggested. Note these Advanced settings are specific to a project. Is this by chance a different project from when it worked?

Virginia

Thank you for your help and suggestions. I think Michael was right when he said; "Is it possible you have pressed some key combination that toggles the meanings of Function keys? MicroSoft applications may be able to cope, but it is possible TMG needs them to work "normally".

I downloaded TMG 8 to my laptop and it works fine. I then dug out an old keyboard and TMG works fine on my desktop with the old keyboard. Now all I have to do is figure out how to correct whatever I did with the regular keyboard. Just seems strange the repeat key works fine with Excel and table file repeats.

Here it is 3-1/2 months after this original thread started, but I'm having the same problem. The "F3 - repeat function key" does not work for me. When I'm in TMGv8 and touch the "F3" key it opens Excel. Yes, I have typed data into the field that I am trying to repeat information in to. I did all the tips and suggestions from this March '12 thread and none of them fixed the problem.

My PC is Dell Windows7, 64 bit. The F3 repeat worked just fine in TMGv7 on the same machine.

Any new ideas to solve this issue?

Thanks for your help.

Barbara

Barbara -

Does your keyboard have a function key button (F Mode) which switches the function keys to an alternate function like opening Excel?

Another possibility is an Excel shortcut. On the Start menu, find the Excel program under Microsoft Office. Don't open Excel but rightclick on it and choose Properties. Click the tab labeled Shortcut and see if there is anything entered in the Shortcut key field; if so delete it and click on OK.

Virginia

I am also having problems with the F3 repeat key and the repeat citation button. I have just had to upgrade to version 8.08 after computer crash and version 7 not accepting the unlock key. "Initialize" is not clearing the data table. All help gratefully received.

Don

I have also had this problem. I am using a lap top and was having the problem with the built in keyboard. After reading this discussion I tried my wireless keyboard and with that the F3 works!

I had no problem using the F3 to repeat and also the F4 to enter a source in either TMG 8 or TMG 9- until I bought a computer running Windows 8. I have to combine the FN and F3 or FN and F4 keys to avoid the default for these F keys which is to change the screen brightness. This is very inconvenient- is there a way to reprogram the F3 and F4 keys so that th TMG functions are the default?

Bev

I had no problem using the F3 to repeat and also the F4 to enter a source in either TMG 8 or TMG 9- until I bought a computer running Windows 8. I have to combine the FN and F3 or FN and F4 keys to avoid the default for these F keys which is to change the screen brightness. This is very inconvenient- is there a way to reprogram the F3 and F4 keys so that th TMG functions are the default?

Bev

This is not a Windows 8 issue, but rather a common arrangement in recent laptops. My Window 7 laptop does the same thing.

There is generally a way to switch back to the function keys being the default. Typically it requires changing a setting in the BIOS, which you access with a key combination as you reboot. Most systems flash the instructions for accessing it on screen briefly as the system boots.

But you can do damage to your system that may make it not bootable when playing with the BIOS, and details about how to change this setting vary between systems. So if you aren't comfortable doing this seek help from the help files supplied with the computer, or from the manufacturer's website.