rbh5

Import process from FTM 2012

I have just purchased Master Genealogist, and have a file created in Family Tree Maker 2012. I have over 8,200 people to import and associated exhibits/pictures. When I do the simple import, the people all move to TMG - but the pictures and other items do not. When I go to advanced import, the program has run for over 5 hours and not completed.

I moved my exhibits to the TMG folder.

Not sure what I am doing wrong, any help is appreciated.

thx,

Robin

First, TMG8 does not support direct import from FTM 2012.

You need to export your FTM database to a FTM 2008/2009 database (File / Export in FTM). Be sure to name the FTM database differently than your FTM 2012 database.

Then you should import that to TMG from the Welcome screen / [import] button creating a new project.

I opened my file with FTM 2006, and exported from there. My file was completed messed up, people and dates were not matched at all - listed twice with different dates - or missing. My daughter was listed as being born in the 1800's... I must be very old.

When I did it the first time, FTM 2012 exported - brought in all of the people correctly.

But did not bring in the exhibits.

Is there something you do in advanced import to link to the exhibits, pictures?

thanks for your help, sorry to be a pain. I'm very excited to try the reports in TMG.

I was not doing a backup, was doing an export. Aha... In FTM 2012 when doing the export - the info is over on the right side, I can choose the output format. FTM exports to a 2008/2009 ftw file, which I am going to try to import.

Robin -

Looks like you found it all right. If you have any more questions, don't hesitate to ask. When you are trying reports be sure to check out the Visual Chartform forum here. There are lots of examples of the customizing you can do in our charts - including color coordinating reports like the Family Group Sheet with box charts. You may also want to subscribe to the TMG Rootsweb mailing list here. The mailing list is particularly helpful for how-to-do questions in TMG.

Virginia

In TMG, use File / Maintenance / Validate File Integrity.

Use the external exhibits feature and add the path where the image files are located.

Then complete the Validate File Integrity run and this should update the image links.

Had to export to Gedcom - the second time was the charm. I have no idea what I did differently, but the exhibits/pics are there. Had to use advanced import, would not work with simple.

Thank you for your time & patience. I will do the Validate File Integrity later.

many thanks,

Robin

So many have viewed this, I thought I would share an update.

The export to Gedcom did not work. It looked so promising, but the details and people were garbled.

I exported my FTM 2012 file to the 2009 FTM program. I still had the old disk, so I reinstalled FTM 2009 on my computer. I opened the exported file and did a place validation. Then I exported this revised file, and uploaded to TMG. It took all night for the TMG program to process the information. I have no idea how long, I went to bed and left the computer running (which I never do).

There are over 8,000 in this tree and all of the people are intact.

Some of the towns are missing, and there are a few errors with people, that I am cleaning up. I also had information attached to people in pdf format, that did not come over. Not sure what I will do with that, but this is a process.

Yes, the conversion was a pain in the neck - however, the report capabilitiles of TMG are awesome. I printed my first prelimary report to pdf, complete with colored pictures. There are a few tweaks that I need to make for the reports to do exactly what I want, but the process is in place.

FTM is perhaps simpler and easier to use, definitely nicer to look at :) But the abilities of TMG outshine FTM. I will continue to enter data in my new TMG tree and not go back to FTM.

is this the expected speed of import or should I cancel the job

and fix something ?

I am using the 32 bit TMG v8

My computer is an I7-2600 3.4 GHz 12 GB DDR3 memory SATA II HD

which has allocated the job 13% cpu usage 96,488K memory

I am importing with genbridge a FTM 2008 file with 45,000 people and 3,200

photos

Importing people and names took 3 days (July 1 at 9 am – July 3 at 6 am)

Importing other person information has been running since and is now at

36% - 41%

Which means at the current rate it will complete this phase July 6 at 3 pm

and I have no Idea of how many more phases there are

Jim Rader (916) 366-6833

my books are available at

http://www.lulu.com/spotlight/jim154

jim@rader.org

www.rader.org

5417 Whitehaven Way

Antelope, CA 95843

For some people, the import is slow. The GenBridge part of the import is clearly not optimized. You just need to let it run until done.