Sign in to follow this  
karthur

Can someone explain where the source sentence structure is coming from

In my footnotes, one of the sources is listed with the source "short title" and another is listed using the source "Title". What tells TMG 8 which to use? Below is an example:

1. 1910 United States Federal Census -title, her name.

2. 1910 US Federal Census - short, Franklin Co., Al.

3. 1930 United States Federal Census - title, Franklin Co., Al.

I added the words "short" and "title" to my Source definition so I could tell "where" the information was coming from. Both of these end notes are for a witnessed event on the same person. I would like for both sources to show "1910 United States Federal Census".

I added the words "short" and "title" to my Source definition so I could tell "where" the information was coming from.
You don't exactly specify, but I assume you added "title" to the "Full Footnote" template for the source, and added "short" to the "Short Footnote" template? While various source output options can affect the output, normally the first reference uses Full Footnote and all subsequent similar citations use Short Footnote.

It would help if you posted exactly what your Full Footnote and Short Footnote templates look like, and the Citation Detail text in each of these citations. That should help to identify what is going on in your case. Finally, if you make it clear exactly what you would like to see, one of us users could suggest how to tell TMG to output what you want.

The Full Footnote template is used the first time a given Source is cited in a report, and the Short Footnote template is used for each subsequent citation. In default Source Types that use the Title source element, the Title element is used in the Full Footnote, and the Short Title element is used in the Short Footnote template.

The idea is that the first time a source is cited, you would want to use its full title, but when its cited again, you would use a shortened version if the full title is long. That's what is generally recommended in citation guides.

Your result above looks like that's exactly what happened. Your report includes citations to the 1910 census twice, so the Full Footnote, using the Title element, appears the first time and the Short Footnote, using the Short Footnote element, is used the second time. It would also be used if that source were cited again in this report. The 1930 census is cited only once, so the Full Footnote template is used, which uses the Title element.

Generally this is not visible for short titles, because one would enter the same thing in both elements. If you don't what this to happen, edit the Short Footnote template to use the Title element instead of the Short Title element. If you need help doing that, I'd recommend looking at my articles on Customizing Sources, on my website, below.

Thanks Guys.. I see what you are saying about it using the Title element the first time around and the short title for the subsequent times its cited.