Rob Mills

Update to 8.02 aborted itself. Rollback erased entire program

Hi

Am on a Win 7 64 bit system. Yesterday (03 March), from within (TMGUK Gold) v.8.01 I downloaded patch to v8.02 and executed update to 8.02. All progressed well, until install aborted about 75% of the way through, with a message (I think... didn't write it down. Ooops) that an .ocx file failed to register. There was then an option to roll back, with statement that program would return to its previous (functioning) state, so I authorised that. There was a verbose log file that alas I didn't save, trusting to the rollback.

I left my pc to do other stuff and have returned today, about 24 hours later, to find that not only is TMG v8 shortcut gone from desktop, but the entire program has been uninstalled. All data & configs are safe, and I have backups of those. All data is v.8 format as I was happy with v8 and transferred all over from v7 and uninstalled v7 sometime ago so I can't go back to v7 now

No worries I thought; I downloaded the time locked demo file, thinking I could just reinstall and re-enter my rego information to unlock it. However, the install package is hanging at the point where you accept the default program location (I do), i.e., "Install" and "cancel" are the options offered. I hit "install" and then nothing happens.Running taskmanager shows that msiexec and tmg8setup are listed as running processes with no CPU usage. Hard disk light shows no hard disk usage after 2 minutes or so. Dialog box says to hit "back" to review or change, however no "back" button is displayed. Hitting "cancel" just bring sup the confirmation dialog, at which point I hit "yes"

I've tried this 3 times, with same result, ensuring no other programs I usually have running - Outlook, Keepass, Chrome, Firefox usually - are running.

I'm at a loss to explain this. Have I overlooked something obvious? Any suggestions? If this is wrong place to post the query please let me know and I'll readdress appropriately. Grateful for any assistance

Rob Mills/Sydney, AU

Rob,

[just for the records: the error message you probably saw was:

C:WindowsSysWOW64bbListviewV.ocx failed to register HRESULT - 2147024770 Contact your support personnel.]

- make sure that you're logged on to your system as administrator

- make sure that "Show hidden files and folders" is enabled

- make sure that no other applications are running

- temporarily turn off your virus scanner and fire wall.

I assume that you i.e. saved the 30-day-trial version of TMG v8.02 on your desktop.

From your description above I get that you're trying to install TMG v8.02 to the default location:

C:Program Files (Program Files x86) - correct?

If so, we now need to check your system first:

1) C:Program Files (Program Files x86) - there should be no folder "The Master Genealogist v8" - is that correct? If so, good.

2) C:ProgramData - in case you have the following folders there: “The Master Genealogist v8” and “The Master Genealogist v8 Installer” > delete both

3) C:users[username]AppDataRoaming – here you'll find a folder “The Master Genealogist v8”

This folder contains "User Program Data Files" i.e.:

· Preferences / Program Options settings

· color schemes

· layouts

· toolbars

· DNA template files

· place information button settings

· place mapping button settings

· web links (other)

· web links (places)

So in case you i.e. have any userdefined / custom layouts or the like > rename this folder i.e. to: old_The Master Genealogist v8

4) Now restart your system.

5) Again log on to your system as Administrator, make sure again that all other applications are closed, that your virus scanner and your firewall are temporarily turned off.

Now run the installer of the 30-day-trial version for TMG v8.02 again.

While doing so, make absolutely sure that you install TMGv8.02 to exactly the same path/directory that you used for TMGv8.01!!

6) After the installation of TMGv8.02 is complete, I’d recommend to restart your system again and also check that your virus scanner as well as the firewall are up and running again.

In case everything worked fine up to this point, say TMG v8.02 is now fully functional, the only thing left to be done is to copy your custom (and only those!!) "User Program Data Files" (see step 3 !! above) from

C:users[username]AppDataRoamingold_The Master Genealogist v8

to

C:users[username]AppDataRoamingThe Master Genealogist v8

After that the folder ....AppDataRoamingold_The Master Genealogist v8 can be deleted.

Vera.

Thanks for the prompt reply. Alas, I'm still unable to install.

Here's what I've done after reading your post.

1) Followed your instructions exactly. Same result, i.e., installation hung

2) Rightly or wrongly, inferred from your post you suspected an access issue, so I created a new admin account on my pc and tried to install from that. Result: "Failed to write in file c:ProgramDataThe Master Genealogist v8 Installertmgsetup.msi Error: access is denied"

3) Decided it might be a corrupted ACL so did a system restore to a week ago, i.e., before the last Windows auto-update, and before a Java auto update of last week.

4) Logged on in my usual account, executed tmgsetupv8. Installation did not hang this time, but proceeded to the point of the error message originally received (the one you correctly identified, coz this time I wrote it down). This time I saved the log file, too, and am happy to send it to you if you need it (3.805 kb)

Upshot is I still don't have TMG8 installed on my laptop unfortunately.

FYI i checked if I had downloaded a corrupted setup package by installing TMG8 on my server (WHS2011). It installed perfectly. I'd rather not use TMG on the server but if TMG has been tested on WHS 2011 maybe I'll have to if we can't fix this aborted install on my laptop, What's the official position re TMG on a WHS 2011 server?

In any case, grateful for your assistance to date. Next steps?

Rob

Use this procedure...

Uninstall. Delete any remnant program folder.

Delete the installer folder.

C:ProgramDataThe Master Genealogist v8 Installer

Download the 'trial version' installer from the whollygenes.com website.

Install and be sure to use the same program folder that you used for the current installation.

Now you should be up and running with v8.02.

%%%%%%%%%%

AFAIK... Wholly Genes has never tested installing TMG on WHS and an installation on that OS is not supported.

Vera & Jim

Thanks for your combined assistance. Happy to report 8.02 now up and running on laptop.

In case anyone else has this problem, this was what I ended up doing:

1) I couldn't uninstall TMG v.08 since the rollback had already uninstalled it, leaving an empty The Master Genealogist v8 directory. Nevertheless, deleted it as per Jim's suggestion

2) Deleted installer directory as per Jim's suggestion

3) Verified with Vera's assistance that I had correct .ocx file on my other machine and copied that over to the SysWOW64 directory on my laptop

4) Reinstalled using downloaded trial and it went totally smoothly

Note: I did not have to reactivate 8.02 by entering rego key; it appears to be happy with whatever info it somehow managed to save from 8.01 I have no idea where.

Thanks to you both for your help; it's much appreciated and a big relief to be up and running again

@Jim: I suspected TMG was not approved for WHS but thought the OS sufficiently similar to WIn 7 to be worth a try in testing integrity of the install package. I fully understand that such an installation is not approved or recommended by WG and that on my own head be it. I'm tempted to keep it installed on the server and see how it runs, but don't think I should tempt fate ;)

cheers

How can I get v8.01 back? I have followed the procedure but the new 8.02 installer hangs once it starts and I have to ctrl-alt-del out.

Too quick on the draw! I rebooted one more time and tried again and it worked. All set now.

I experienced what appears to be the same problem, upgrading from 8.00 to 8.02 on a Win7 x64 machine. Failed with the same ocx registration problem. I have the install log, if WhollyGenes support would like to see it.

I solved the problem by deleting my c:Program Files (x64)The Master Genealogist v8 folder, downloading the 30 day trial, and installing it..without problems. No multiple reboots, or rubbing of rabbit's feet, either.

I did have to re-enter my serial number and now all seems back up and running on 8.02.

I experienced the same problem on 2 different computers upgrading from 8.00 to 8.02 on Win7 x32 machines. When I went to uninstall following Jim's instructions, the uninstall data was no longer in the "Programs" list under <Control Panel>. Will deleting all the "Program Files" and "ProgramData" TMG subdirectories achieve the same results? I'm thinking probably not, since it won't remove registry enteries. My data is backed up. Any suggestions on where to go next? Thanks.

Solved my own problem.

1. Renamed "C:Program FilesThe Master Genealogist v8" to "C:Program FilesOld The Master Genealogist v8"

2. Renamed "C:ProgramDataThe Master Genealogist v8" to "C:ProgramDataOld The Master Genealogist v8"

3. Renamed "C:ProgramDataThe Master Genealogist v8 Installer" to "C:ProgramDataOld The Master Genealogist v8 Installer"

4. Renamed "C:UsersusernameAppDataRoamingThe Master Genealogist v8 to "C:UsersusernameAppDataRoamingOld The Master Genealogist v8"

Deleting the first 3 folders would probably have had the same effect but I wanted to save them just in case...:-)

5. Execute the "tmg8setup.exe" trial download

After this I had to re-enter my v8 code and my project files seem to be ok. Version 8.02 appears to be working.

I haven't decided what to do with "C:UsersuserAppDataRoamingOld The Master Genealogist v8".

I suspect that I will follow Vera's instructions:

"In case everything worked fine up to this point, say TMG v8.02 is now fully functional, the only thing left to be done is to copy your custom (and only those!!) "User Program Data Files" (see step 3 <4 in my case> !! above) from

C:users[username]AppDataRoamingold_The Master Genealogist v8

to

C:users[username]AppDataRoamingThe Master Genealogist v8

After that the folder ....AppDataRoamingold_The Master Genealogist v8 can be deleted."

Hope this helps someone else. Be sure you have the latest 30-day trial download.

Edited by BigTem

I also experienced this upgrading problem from v8.0 to 8.02 on my Windows Vista machine.

The solution for me was to do like MrSniffer:

1. to delete the c:Program Files (x86)The Master Genealogist v8 folder

2. to execute tmg8setup.exe (full v8.2 file).

After this I did not even have to re-enter my v8 code and my project files seem to be Ok now.

I also experienced the same problem: tried to install the update, installer hung, erased all of TMG 8. I reinstalled from my previous downloaded trial file. It knew my serial no. However it will not check for updates. I am now only able to use 8.0.

I am having issues with TMG ver 8 on my Win 7 system. First, when I run the install package I am not given ANY options about the path or install directory. Second, checking after I finally get it to install, ther e is not a programs x86 directory holding the prograqm. It is sinstalled into the AppData folder. The properties of the desktop icon says the path is "C:UsersLarryAppDataLocalProgramsThe Master Genealogist v8" but further checking shows it is actually in "C:UsersLarryAppDataroamingThe Master Genealogist v8". Any attempt to install an update results in an error mesage saying "Error opening installation log file. Verify that the specified log file

location exists and that you can write to it." No info is given about where the log file is supposed to be located.

I have uninstalled TMG 8, deleted any directories I am aware of including the AppData/roaming, cleaned the registry of any items referencin those directories, and finally get an install, but back to the same directory. TMG ver 8 Does NOT install into Program Files (X86), and as I said I am not given ANY optens when I install it..

Does TMG run OK from the location the shortcut indicates is its current install directory: C:UsersLarryAppDataLocalProgramsThe Master Genealogist? What makes you think TMG is installed in the AppDataRoaming folder? Do you see the tmg8.exe file in that location?

C:UsersLarryAppDataRoamingThe Master Genealogist v8 is a user data file folder. It is one of the three Data File Storage (DFS) folders and contains your toolbars, layouts, DNA template files, etc. For a listing of the DFS folders, go to the TMG menu Help > Access folders where you can also view the contents of each folder. See Help / Data File Storage for more information and advanced options.

Virginia

You do not get install options when there is an existing installation (or perhaps a remnant program folder).

Run any uninstalls for TMG8 that exist in Programs and Features.

You need to delete all remnant program folders. (see below)

You also need to check the VirtualStore and make sure that there is not a program folder hidden there and delete any remnant program folder found there.

C:Usersuser account nameAppDataLocalVirtualStoreProgram Files (x86)The Master Genealogist v8

Then you should follow my procedure in post #5 in this topic and install v8.02.

%%%%%%%%%%

The default program folders are:

C:Program FilesThe Master Genealogist v8 - all users / 32-bit

C:Program Files (x86)The Master Genealogist v8 - all users / 64-bit

C:Usersuser account nameAppDataLocalProgramsThe Master Genealogist v8 - single user

%%%%%%%%%%

This folder...

C:Usersuser account nameAppDataRoamingThe Master Genealogist v8

is the user program data folder.

It is created by the program.

The installer does not create it.

The installer 'knows' nothing about it.

The installer cannot remove it.

Read the Data File Storage help topic.

Edited by Jim Byram
Added more

Jim, I found and deleted the Virtual Store TMG ver 8 directory. I have not worked with any other program that used the Virtual Store directory, but that shouldn't be a surprise as I retired in 1995 :-)

I( have deleted any and all TMG ver 8 directories I can find, program files (X86), Appata both ny and all users local and roaming.

I have cleaned my registry of any and all references to ver 8. I deleted the "Installer" in Program Data.

Wahen I double click the ver 8 setup, I get the flash screens, on to a pont wher it tells me it will install to c:--Program files (X86), does not present any options. When I click on install, ist doesw nothing. I know on previous attempts, I could run as administrator and it would instal, but not to the defauldt directories.

Any thin els I can delete other than version 7? When I manage to get ver 8 installed, all open file instructions default to my documents/ver 7 files.

Does TMG have a "wipe Out" program to destroy any and all remenents of a ver 8 bad install. I remember Nero had to do that. :-)

I am not going to force another install. I'll wait until the install program offers me options for the patchs, users etc.

Any thing else I can delete. From you previous comment, there is something left that is preventing me getting install options.

Varginia, all paths I posted were from the TMG icon properties. I looked in the AppData because that path was displayed when I was searching for files. St this point I have deleted everything I can find associated with ver 8, but when I try to run the Install program, it does not install, and it offers me NO OPTIONS as to users, path etc, which according to Jim is because thereare still remenants of a failed install.

I've lookded in Program Files (X86), Program Data, every AppData path I can find, taher Virtual Satore that Jim pointed out, and I've used a standard Register Cleaner. It found a few brances in several places anc cleaned them. Do you have a list of all the registry changes yuour install package uses so I can use REGEDIT to delete them? Pardon all my typos, but I am blind and don't want to clean up my posts because of effort and time, I just want to solve the problem.

Larry

Larry

TMG did not install to the VirtualStore. The operating system did that.

I have no other ideas. You should contact Support and let them work through it with you.

Jim, where is the "Data File Storage help topic."? It is not a top level topic?

Use the help index.

In the help contents, it's the second topic under the File Menu.

I finally got an install that is working. The program did not install into a Program Files (X86)/The Master Genealogist ver 8, but rather into C:UsersLarryAppDataLocalProgramsThe Master Genealogist v8" , and that is fine with me.

I had to find and eleminate every occurance of anything associsted witth The Master Genealogist ver 8, clean my register and restart my machine, then run the install. Even then, after the install was complete, thesplash screen would not close. Since the program starts and appears to work properly, I assume it is properly installed? I guess I can get back to my genealogy now.

Will future updates, if any, install correctly now? Thanks for everyones help.

Larry

Jim, Thanks for the location of the storage files info. I get confused wether I should use the TMG Help files, or try to find them on the Help forum on line. I really don't want to know how the program works, I just want a genealogy tool.

Thanks

Larry