Nancy1109

Configuring Family Group Sheet

I am trying to configure it so that it will the same as the sample report on the website. How do I create borders around the name of each of the children and yet not have their names be in a shaded area? Thanks!

Nancy -

The sample report website has not been updated for v8; the Family Group Sheet there was done in v7.

Here is an example of a v8 Family Group Sheet:

05.04.2011-11.37.56.png

There are some tips for formatting the v8 FGS in the thread on coordinating the FGS and VCF charts here. You can also send the v8 FGS to Word or RTF for further editing.

Virginia

Thanks for your quick reply Virginia! Is there no way to remove all the lines between the individual events while still having borders around the name of the children? I really prefer a less "busy" appearance on the group sheet, yet one that clearly outlines the individual children's name.

Nancy -

In the report options in TMG you can change the line color to white which would remove all lines - or output the report to your word processor and remove the interior lines selectively. In the first example the FGS was output to RTF and opened in Word. In Word, highlight the interior lines, rightclick and toggle the interior lines off.

LinesOff.png

Example of all lines white but with shading.

Lines3.png

In both examples I used a lighter shade of gray. If you want to use different colors for shading, note that by selecting output to RTF you will have the full range of colors in the color lookup table, including custom colors. Output to Word is limited to 16 basic colors.

Virginia

Virginia- Thanks again for your quick reply & suggestions. Of the 2 examples you provided, I prefer the 1st in that it better delineates each of the separate children. I understand about altering the shades of gray and of editing the FGS as an RTF document in Word. I use Word 2010 & have made simple tables--very simple :-), however I am not familiar w/ the right click options so as to toggle the interior lines off after the lines are highlighted. Could you please clarify that? Also, with that option, is there a way to set it as a default for future FGS' printing, or would I need to do that each & every time that I want to print?

In the interim, I have perhaps skirted the issue a bit and altered the interior lines to the very faintest shade of gray. That makes the FGS less busy-looking, however I miss the lines delineating each of the children. I realize that I could edit those in, however I am hoping to minize the individual editing as much as possible inasmuch as I use the FGS format so frequently in printing. Ideally i would like to, as a default, eliminate the interior lines except those above & below the names of the children. Possibility? Thanks for your patience. Much appreciated! Nancy

Nancy -

No, unfortunately you cannot edit in Word and save the changes for future use in TMG - it has to be done each time in your word processor. In the screenshot below you can see the small rightclick menu you are probably familiar with when you highlight something in Word 2010. Clicking on the border option on that menu opens a dropdown list where you can toggle the top, bottom, left, right, inside, outside borders individually off or on.

Borders.png

I use the FGS almost exclusively for reports and - like you - wanted a report I could print from TMG and not have to edit. I think the current design needs more white space above and below the text (an increase in the top and bottom cell margins). Turning off page numbers and the top/bottom graphics lines in the report options has the effect of increasing those margins - and using light gray lines throughout seems to be about as close as I can get to what I want without editing in Word. If you use colors, consider creating your own in more subtle tones. There is lots of info on custom colors in the VCF Forum if you look for 'Palette'.

Virginia

Virginia-Yes, I agree w/ the idea of more white space, or, at least options for that would be good. The color options are a nice touch, however for general utilitarian purposes, the plain black & white is OK & what I will be using. On my wish list would be the options to add a solid black line between each of the children and between the two spouses as well as the option to add a blank line above & below the black line (as is the way TMG7 does it). To me, those really, at a quick glance, differentiate the individual people. For now I think I'll turn off both the interior and border lines and lighten the shading a bit, then edit in Word by adding a blank line after each individual.

One more quick question-- I see on the FGS report options, on the General tab, Title Position, the option for a blank line above & below. I have that checked and do receive the blank line above, but none between the title and the "Subject" line. It's not a big deal, but wonder how to achieve that space other than editing in Word. Suggestions? Similarly I notice in configuring the Individual Narrative for "full justification", that it seems to have no effect and the resultant text is no different than if I chose "left justification". But then I guess that's another thread subject. Thanks again, Virginia, for your help on this, Nancy

Nancy -

The missing blank line below the title in the FGS is a known problem and should be fixed in a future release. The justification option only applies to output to a word processor - but I don't see it there automatically (once in Word you can highlight the report text, rightclick and justify). I'll check on that.

Thanks -

Virginia