dscvrfam

Master Place List

Because of several hard drive crashes that I recently encountered, the only file I had available to use was anFTM file. I ran the import through and after over 12 hours (started around 3pm in the afternoon and left it run overnight and it had completed by the time I got up around 10 - really 9 with DST switch) it did pull in my 8425 people.

I then started working on the master place list. I knew there would be things to clean up as it was where I did most of the clean up when I sent from TMG to FTM (do it sometimes for some reporting options). Since the file I imported was TMG then FTM then back into TMG I did expect clean up. There are 2155 places in my Master Place list. Clean up is going well and I really like the fact that I now have dates (at least years) to associate with the places since I do have many that have gone through name changes or other changes, though it will take time for me to begin entering them.

I am running into a few issues.

First are what I will refer to as screen refresh issues.

Second are edit window open issues.

These two may be related so I will describe what happens.

As I go through the list to edit a place to correct where the values ended up, there are times when the edit window does not open at all with a double click and even clicking the edit button on the side. I have to either do it multiple times or do something else first - click on another place or do something else like Sort before I will get the edit. The other thing that will occur is that when the edit window does open, it may not display the place that I was on, but the information from the last location i was editing. Being cautious I just cancel out of the editing, click on a couple of other places, then click on the desired one and again edit that place and everything is fine.

Well, I thought I had another issues, but am currently not able to replicate it. The issue was clicking on events and having nothing show up.

Additional system information: Windows 7 Home Edition.

It sounds to me like you mainly have hardware issues related to not enough RAM. How much do you have installed?

(Also, 8,000+ people is not an especially large database. I am very surprised it took you 12 hours. This indicates your computer's processor may be slow and out of date.)

You might benefit by running fewer programs while you are using TMG.

Good luck

Edited by efcharvet