Hi

I now finally have v8.02 installed on both desktop & laptop after much difficulty. I need to do some testing still to see if it all works properly, but it appears to be. I wonder if I should have done a custom install, but was nervous about doing that without more information. If I have to reinstall, (or if all is well for now I want to know for the next update), I have two questions:

1- Can someone tell me the specific steps/prompts that you go through to do a custom install? I can't find this info anywhere. When I started to try it, it looked like you had options as what you wanted installed at the beginning. I'm sure you would also have options as to where to install. I need to know how it works regardless what the answer to the second question below is.

2- What is the best way to do an install to a shared drive? In other words, should I have done a typical install on both computers and then redirected path locations to the shared folder in preferences (like I did), or is it better to do a custom install? I have read the help section articles on customizing & advanced file storage.

Thanks!

Sydney

I think there's little point in installing the TMG program to a shared drive as what one ordinarily wishes to share is the data. I thinkk if you place your data in a shared directory or drive you'll be able to get the coordination you want. There are some things that probably shouldn't be consistent between laptop and desktop. Your screen layouts would be a good example of that.

Hope this helps.

Robert

Question 2- Yes, I agree- I didn't want to install the program on a shared drive, I just wanted to be able to share the project so I could do some editing on the laptop. I did include all the layouts, but that was definately not necessary- the laptop needs it's own layout.

That said,is the best plan to:

1. Do a typical install on both computers
  2. Direct both computers (using preferences) to the shared folder (where the user data files would be placed using Windows Explorer)
  3. Then delete the user data file folders fron the local drive(s) on both computers?

Question 1- (still no answer) Can someone give me the sequence of prompts involved in the custom install option? I don't want to risk messing up the install I have by going throught the prompts again but I want to find out what is involved in a custom install. I cannot find this information anywhere. If it exists please point me in right direction.

This sounds pretty dense I know, but, I would feel better getting some answers from someone. I'm getting old & my communication skill are not the best.

Thanks,

Sydney

Dear Sydney,

As I recollect, the custom install allows you to choose the directory in which the program is to be placed. I do not think there were any other options which differ from the standard install. (Now that I thinkk about it, the option to install for all users or just the user who is logged in may be available on those screens).

You should read the help topic on data files and their placement. I'm not clear what you mean by "user data files." There are two types in TMG. UserData, which is essentially your project and its associated files, and UserProgramData which includes layouts, app.ini and other control settings. These you probably should not share between the machines. The help discussion of this matter is both clear and extensive and you'd do much better to rely on it than on my rapidly failing memory.

If by "shared drive" you mean a drive which is physically connected first to one machine and then to the other, you can put your projects there and work on them from either machine. If by "shared drive" you mean a drive which is part of your network, you could keep the files on one machine -- the "server" -- and access them from either machine.

I doubt whether there is any need for you to reinstall, but if you want to do so and get the option to choose the custom installation you would probably have to uninstall the program completely and delete the program file directories (NOT the data directories). In Windows 7 there is a sometimes hidden "ProgramData" directory, usually in C:. One of the directories you would want to delete would be the TMG8 directory found there. Then download the installer from the WG web site and try a fresh install using the that installer. You should get the option for a custom install -- but I really doubt whether you need to do that.

I hope this helps. All good wishes.

Robert

That said,is the best plan to:

1. Do a typical install on both computers
  2. Direct both computers (using preferences) to the shared folder (where the user data files would be placed using Windows Explorer)
  3. Then delete the user data file folders fron the local drive(s) on both computers?

Thanks,

Sydney

Sydney -

I would await experienced advice before making any changes, particularly since you have a clean installation now.

Item 3 is discussed in the Help files, including this Note:

(Note: TMG v8 checks for the three "The Master Genealogist v8" data file folders each time that it is run. If these new data file folders have been deleted, the next time that you run TMG v8, the folders will be re-created.

You should also be familiar with the data_paths.txt option in case that step is advised.

Virginia

Sidney,

If you only want to share the Project files - that is not share layouts and other customizations to the program, you can install the program on each computer using the default settings. Then, copy the project files to the shared drive. The File > Copy Project command in TMG is an easy way to do that. Then, simply open that copy of the Project from either computer.

But do use caution to avoid opening the previous copy of the Project and entering data there, thus getting different "new" data in the two copies. Perhaps a good way to guard against that is to rename the other copies, using the the File > Rename Project command.

If you have external exhibits, they should also be on the shared drive, and you need to fix the path statements to them in TMG. If you need to do that, please ask for help, and say whether they are all in a single folder, or spread among several different folders.

Terry -

What happens with the Repeat files? Assuming they will be stored on the respective computers, should the user be aware of this? Would it make sense to delete those Repeat files when switching back and forth so as not to inadvertently enter incorrect data?

Virginia

Virginia,

You raise a real issue with my suggestion. The same applies to Backups, Configuration files, and Report Output as well, and to a couple of categories that are less likely to be used. The location of all of them are Project-specific. By simply copying the Project as I suggested the specified location for all of them remains unchanged, and would remain valid when using the computer from which they were copied. But that may not be a valid location for the second computer (depending on whether both used the same version of Windows, and how the user names are set up).

So probably the best thing to do is after copying the Project, go to Preferences > Current Project Options > Advanced, and change the paths there for all the categories that will be used to paths that are valid for both computers. That could be either folders on the shared drive, or, if one wanted to keep them separate for the two computers, a path that would be valid on both of them, such as folders under C:TMG

Terry -

Could it be made as simple as using the laptop for data entry only with no output (printer) and no changes to configurations (reports, etc.) other than Repeat files (easily refreshed)? The error.txt file would be affected but that is a minor issue.

Virginia

Virginia,

You are right that if one doesn't create reports from the laptop you wouldn't have to worry about that, but there are some other configuration files in the configuration folder specified by project. Among them are the backup and restore configurations, and Find Duplicate People configuration. So if you wanted to use these functions from the laptop you would need a valid configuration folder specified. The backup folder itself would also need to be specified if you wanted to make backup from the laptop.

In any case, if you use the repeat function, you would need a valid folder specified for that.

I have "The Master Genealogist v8" folder that contains: backUps, config, exhibits,exports, logs, projects, repeat, report, slideshow & timelines on my shared folder (although I use a separate folder for my project, backups & exhibits and backups get moved to a secure place).

Thank you very much for everyone's help. All the discusion has made me feel a bit more confident that I am understanding things and everything is ok as is. Also, that doing a typical install, like I did, was all that was needed, not a custom install. Many thanks

Thanks,

Sydney

Yeah! I was frustrated when Robert said "I'm not clear what you mean by user data files" so I listed them to be clear.

I had just set up my shared project folder Set up when I upgraded to v8.02. I struggled with the upgrade & wanted to make sure I hadn't done something "Sydneyish". Now I know I'll survive the next upgrade ok- which is just peachy.

Thanks again-

Sydney

Hi

More problems in paradise. I don't know if I just got a poor install, or if there's something going on involving my shared folder. Since you know my set already, I decided to ask here instead of the list.

1- If I try to run optimize or validate file integrity on the laptop, I get a very small white window that says "Lockset". I have checked in the Data Set Manager, and the unlock is grayed out. There is no lock icon that I would expect to appear if it was actually locked.

2- I'm also wondering about the start up splash screens. The laptop has a new looking window that is blue, The desk PC's start up window is brown but does say 8.02. I don't know if this is ok or not.

3- One other problem on the desk PC is that although I use optimize & validate regularly (almost always both two times), I'm getting a window after validating that says (last time) 407 problems resolved ! This never happened in the past.

I have done a lot of work on my project the last few days. If I have to do a reinstall (sigh) will I be able to use the same project, or a backup restored from it?

I'm pretty frustrated.

Sydney

Sydney

I have not seen that message in connection with TMG. It sounds like it could be an alert from your computer that you are trying to perform an action on locked data. Re the blue and brown splash screens: are both computers using the same operating system? do you have v7 installed on either machine?

If you have any doubts about the safety of your data, I would hold off switching back and forth, and stay with your primary computer until you get some informed direction from tech support.

Virginia

Hi Virginia

The lockset only comes up in TMG and then only when running optimize or validate, it doesn't come up other than that.

The laptop is Vista home pro (blue splash screen) and the desk is XP pro (brown). I have v7 on the desk PC as well as v8.02.

The laptop shows the program in the program& features (where you would go to uninstall it) on the administrators account but it doesn't show there in my account. I can see it on my account (as well as administrator account) in Program files X86. I'm guessing that's ok.

I have only edited a small amount on the laptop, & won't do anymore.

Should I uninstall both?

Sydney

Sydney -

At this point I don't see any need to uninstall either of them. More likely it is a question of adjusting the computer environment, not TMG. For that kind of advice you should contact Tech Support and refer them to this thread.

Virginia

Virginia

Thanks for the info on "IsLockSet" (which is how mine looks, I just checked). It's good to know there is a logical explanation, and that nothing is wrong in that respect. There really should be something in help about this (or maybe there is & I just couldn't find it).

I sent an email to support yesterday & really appreciate your help & everybody's help.

Thanks to all

Sydney