BJB

Free Text/Notes Page---Please don't make me lose my data!

I have recently installed TMG8 with my new computer. I formerly used FTM, and have imported my extensive file from there.

Unfortunately, I have much data in the "Notes" tab for many, many individuals.

I don't find a comparable "notes" screen in TMG, and don't seem to be able to find that my notes have been imported.

These notes are important pieces of data about the individual...unusual notes from documents, family stories, sometimes transcriptions or summarizations of entire documents.

Please tell me I'm not going to lose all this information with TMG...and I'm not going to have to individually transcribe the info from many hundreds of individuals.

Thank you.

TMG doesn't have a separate Note section like FTM. In TMG, all data is entered in Tags. Your Notes should have imported into Note tags. For any person with such note, look for a Note tag in the Tag Box - the large window below the persons name and parent's name in the Details view. Double-click on the "Note" label to open the Tag, and you should find the contents of your notes entered in the Memo field of that Tag.

You may want to review the basic concepts articles on my website, link below, and also the article on Importing for some tips on the best way to make your data work best after import into TMG.

What FTM version are you importing?

Check the list of tags under an individual with such notes. There should be a tag named Person-Note with the individual notes from FTM. There will be other tags that have to do with additional fields not directly supported by TMG.

Nope, not there. I imported FTM16 file. If I'd entered a one-liner Individual Note in the "Facts" tabs, it imported...but the paragraphs of info did not. Not a happy customer. Shame on me for not checking out every individual thing.

1. Ohhh...my apologies. Yes, it is there. Not easy to read in the little tiny Memo screen, but the data is there. Thank you for your assistance. Still not very happy with the read-ability...time will tell....

1. Ohhh...my apologies. Yes, it is there. Not easy to read in the little tiny Memo screen, but the data is there. Thank you for your assistance. Still not very happy with the read-ability...time will tell....

If by tiny Memo screen you mean the memo box in the tag when you open the tag, you can make it full screen by pressing F7 or clicking on the Memo button above the box.

You can also change the font size in the memo in File / Preferences / Program Options / Data Entry, setting a minimum and maximum font size. You can see examples of the many other options for customizing your layout in the thread here:

http://www.whollygen...showtopic=14442

Please ask if you have any questions about how or where to make these changes.

Virginia

While you can enter as much as you like in the Memo of any Tag, the intent is that different kinds of information would be placed in different Tags. So while in FTM you have mixed unusual notes from documents, family stories, and transcriptions or summarizations of entire documents in that single field, in TMG it would be better to put the various types of data in individual Tags. When you do that you can add Source Citations as appropriate for each piece of data, and you can sequence them as you prefer in the Details view and in reports by use of Sort Dates.

When you use different Tag Types for different types of data, you can choose to include or exclude individual types of data in reports.