Bill Smith

Details Window Column Labels are Chopped off on Windows 7

In the Details window for the Person View tab, the column labels (e.g. Type, Date, Name/Place, etc.) are chopped off at the bottom. While not a show stopper, it is very annoying.

I am using TMG v7.04 on Windows 7 Professional 64-bit.

Any suggestions for fixing this? It works ok on my XP 32-bit laptop.

I can send a screen shot of the problem (if these posts allow attachments).

Bill -

I am also using TMG v7.04 on a Win7 Pro x64 - and do not see that problem. I believe the font size of the column labels may be controlled by your Windows settings, not by TMG. In the Win7 screen resolution options, have you increased the font size percentage - say to 125%?

ColumnLabels.png

Virginia

Virginia,

I had actually increased the Windows 7 display font size percentage to 150% while trying to make the other TMG fonts large enough for my old eyes. I set this to 125% and the chopping off problem went away. Experimenting, I found that 130% is about the largest I can make the size and not have a chopping off problem. I'll try this and see if I can live with this compromise. If not, I'll go back to 150% and quit worrying about the chopping off problem.

Thanks,

Bill

Bill,

Have you looked at setting the font size within TMG? The setting in Preferences under Program Options > Lists controls the size of the text in Details window.

Terry,

I believe I tried all the font size controls within TMG Preferences before settling on increasing the Windows 7 display font size. I'm still unhappy with the font size for things such as the List of Bookmarked People, Tag Entry window fields, etc., that neither respond to any of the TMG controls nor the Windows 7 display font size control. I find it odd that the Memo field in the Tag Entry window responds to font size controls but other fields in this window do not.

Virginia,

I also tried lowering my monitor screen resolution, but my recollection is that this made the characters for everything somewhat fuzzy. I'll take another look at this to be sure.

Bill

Followup: I tried lower monitor resolutions. Using anything other than the recommended resolution (1600x1200 and the maximum for this monitor) gives somewhat fuzzy characters as compared to the recommended resolution. I read somewhere that this limitation is associated with the monitor itself and occurs with most monitors. I use a 2005 vintage 20" Dell LCD monitor.

I'll live with my current settings.

Thanks for your ideas.

Bill

I believe I tried all the font size controls within TMG Preferences before settling on increasing the Windows 7 display font size. I'm still unhappy with the font size for things such as the List of Bookmarked People, Tag Entry window fields, etc., that neither respond to any of the TMG controls nor the Windows 7 display font size control. I find it odd that the Memo field in the Tag Entry window responds to font size controls but other fields in this window do not.

Bill,

Which list of Bookmarked people? The one in the Bookmark Toolbar does respond to the setting for Lists, in Preferences > Program Options > Lists. The one in the View > Bookmarks menu is not technically a list, but a menu item. I believe those respond to the Windows font size settings. The Lists setting apply to all "lists," which include the Tags when displayed in the Details view, the Children, Spouse, and Associates windows, and the lists of Witnesses and Citations in the Tag Entry screen.

Memos, which include Tag Memos, the Comments and template windows in Source Definitions, and several others, have their own fond size setting in Preferences > Program Options> Data Entry.

Fonts in the Family and Tree views, and in Prompts, are all controlled in Preferences > Program Options > Other. The Project Explorer has it's own settings in Preferences > Program Options, which also seems to control the list of sections in the Preferences window itself.

I don't find where the other text in the Tag Entry screen is controlled - does it respond to the Windows setting?

Someone has posted all these, and maybe more someplace, but I don't know where. Having them scattered in several places isn't very convenient for users, I'm afraid.

Hi Bill,

I sympathize with your issues, as my ancient eyes also have problems with small fonts. Perhaps the following info may be of help.

TMG font size options are set in four separate places in Preferences // Program Options, and control the following listed TMG fonts. For me when there is both a Minimum and Maximum, the Minimum is the most important.

• Data Entry: The Minimum and Maximum memo font size
    Affects memo field and the expanded memo window.

• Lists: The Minimum and Maximum memo font size
    Affects all lists which include: Details Window (Personal View only), Children Window, Sibling Window, Associates Window, Flag Window, Master Source List, Master Repository List, Master Place List, Master Event List, Master Tag Type List, Master Style List, Source Type List, Source Elements List, and in the Tag Entry Window both the Witness list and Citation List.

• Project Explorer: The Font Size
    Affects the Project Explorer, Expanded Pick List, Focus Group, and Preference List.

• Other: Three font size settings
    Sets Family View Window font size, Tree View Window font size, and Prompts/Warnings popup message boxes font size.

In my testing, and reported by other users, I have found no TMG settings which affect the following: Simple Pick List, the date and location fields in the Tag Entry screen, the list of people in the Bookmarks. There may be a few others.

I have not tested all the possible MS Windows Advanced Display Options for font size settings for the various types of windows opened under MS control. It is possible some of those MS settings may affect the above TMG items.

Hope this gives you ideas,

Terry & Michael,

Terry, I was referring to the Bookmark toolbar and the text that is displayed in this toolbar and its immediate dropdown list. I suspect you are referring to the Bookmark Manager List, which has the same list.

When I change the Lists font size, it has no impact on the text size in this toolbar. I don't think this is limited to Windows 7, as I get the same results with TMG 7.04 running on 32-bit XP. However, XP displays a larger font than Windows 7, at least on my PCs.

Changing the Windows 7 Display font size has no impact on the Tag Entry screen text size.

Bill