Sign in to follow this  
whittoncarolyn

filters--tag does not exist

In report filters there used to be a "tag does not exist" option. It's not there in TMG8! What happened to this option & why was it removed?

It was a useful option because one could run a report listing the people, for example who were missing a birth tag, and then correct that omission with an estimated DOB.

This filter option was also useful for getting a more complete list on other filters. For example, if one wanted to learn which people in a project were living at the time of the 1940 census, a filter such as: "birth date comes before 1940 and death date comes after 1940" will yield ONLY those people in the project who already have both a birth tag and a death tag with a date therein.

But changing that filter to: "birth date comes before 1940 and (death date comes after 1940 or death tag does not exist)" would also yield all the people in the project who were born before 1940, but are still living! There could be many of these additional people.

I see "number of death group tags" as a criterion; wouldn't "number of death group tags = 0" work in your filter?

Hope this helps.

Robert

In report filters there used to be a "tag does not exist" option. It's not there in TMG8! What happened to this option & why was it removed?

Hmmmm.... I looked in my Version 7.04 filters for the PE and the List of People and List of Events reports and cannot find a "tag does not exist" option for any of these filters. Where were you seeing this?

I do see for both V7.04 and V8 in the PE and List of People report filters the option to pick any specific tag type and test for "# of Tags equals 0" or (as Robert mentioned) a filter for any specific tag group of "# of xxx Group tags equals 0". I believe these filters will identify people where any specific tag or group of tags does not exist. Was this what you were remembering?

Hi, Carol! Jan Rodriguez here! I checked the RUG <www.rootsusers.org> download archives and you did a presentation on filters awhile ago:

September 8, 2001 Focus, Filtering, and Special Flags, by Carol Whitton

The presentation (attached) mentions "tag does not exist" as one of the options so it must have been in an earlier version of TMG! From another presentation by Ken Mccomber a couple months earlier, it looks like you all were running TMG v2.

Hope all is well in St. Louis! We miss you, here in VA. Coming east for a visit anytime soon?

Jan

200109-Carol-Whitton.doc

Edited by JanisR

Thanks everyone for reminding me this option, which did exist in version 4 [i never owned TMG 2], has been replaced by "# of tags = 0", which does have the same effect.

Jan, I'm not coming that far east anytime soon, so hi! to everyone there. I will be in Cincinnati in May.