Sign in to follow this  
helpquest51

Conversion Error #6 Kills Report Creation

When I attempt to create a report for submission to THE NEW ENGLAND HISTORICAL AND GENEALOGICAL REGISTER (NEHGR) for publication, a Conversion Error #6 is generated and no report is generated.

Many report option changes need to be made to generate a report that satisfy REGISTER style requirements. When I generated custom REGISTER style reports using TMG v7, no problems were encountered.

When I encountered the error #6 problem with TMG v8, I followed a step-by-step procedure to determine what option(s) caused Conversion Error #6. Soon, I found the one option change that would generate error #6. The option change that caused the error: select Times New Roman font. I also found that this font change only generates error #6 for reports that begin with JournalIntro tag. In addition, I discovered that the JournalIntro tag does not generate the error if the default Arial font is selected.

In TMG v7, the use of Times New Roman font in a report that begins with a JournalIntro tag caused no problems. A review of NEHGR shows that genealogy report texts submitted for publication contain introductory paragraphs. The JournalIntro tag simplifies this requirement. The formatting guidelines for text submitted for NEHGR publication states that 12-point Times New Roman font be used.

I will greatly appreciate guidance for this problem. I have submitted a description of this problem to Wholly Genes Support with the error.isc file generated by error #6 attached. So far, they have not replied with a solution for this problem.

Just wanted to say that I am also using Times New Roman in my Journal Reports and that I was able to generate a Journal report covering 15 generations of about 3500 individuals. It took some time but the report eventually appeared in a Word document without error messages. I noticed, however, that in the current version 8.02 the endnotes are listed with Roman instead of Arabic numerals. I could not yet find a way to change this.

Max

P.S. I am using the German language setting

The endnote issue is a simple change in Word.

In Word 2010, you select the References tab, select Footnotes, select Endnotes and change the number format. All Word versions have an equivalent setting. Make sure the 'apply changes to' setting is appropriate.

I have no idea why some people have this issue and some don't. When I use endnotes (and not footnotes at the same time), I always get Arabic numbers. If you use both footnotes and endnotes in the same document, one must use one number format and the other must use a different number format.

%%%%%%%%%%

A conversion error is being worked on for v8.03 but I don't know if it's this particular issue. Thanks for the detailed description.

Edited by Jim Byram

When I attempt to create a report for submission to THE NEW ENGLAND HISTORICAL AND GENEALOGICAL REGISTER (NEHGR) for publication, a Conversion Error #6 is generated and no report is generated.

I can't replicate the issue based on your description.

Please send me the report definition file that creates the report with the conversion error.

Do you have some sort of code embedded in the JournalIntro text? If so, I need a copy of the memo field text of that tag also.

You can contact me by clicking on the link below...

Jim Byram

Thank you Jim for the reply to my Endnote problem. It is peculiar that this problem apparently only occurs when we useTimes New Roman. In my case, the default Journal Report gives the "orrect" Arabic numbering of the sources in the endnotes.

Thank you Jim for the reply to my Endnote problem. It is peculiar that this problem apparently only occurs when we useTimes New Roman. In my case, the default Journal Report gives the "orrect" Arabic numbering of the sources in the endnotes.

I tested this with Times New Roman and got Arabic numbers for the citations and endnotes so there is some other factor involved.

Bob,

Thanks for the requested pieces. I can now replicate the conversion error #6 and will pass this on to Bob Velke so that he can work with it.

Jim

More...

The error is fixed and Bob is testing it.

Bob says:

The problem was the [size:][:SIZE] formatting which he happened to put in his JournalIntro tag. That feature breaks down when the default font has three words in it (and maybe some with two words in it).

Edited by Jim Byram