Neil Grantham

Virus in TMG viewer?

Has anyone else had this problem?

My AVG 2012 (free version) has just completed a scan, and moved ...\The Master Genealogist v7\viewer\tmgss.exe to the virus vault with the "Luhe.Fiha.A" Infection

Has anyone encountered this?

I assume this is a false 'infection'

I'd like to know if anyone else has seen this - and maybe a comment from support, before I restore it from the vault.

What exactly is the tmgss.exe viewer?

Neil

I just got this same message today and AVG is prompting me to do something. I don't want to delete a file which is needed. I got the same message for tmgss.exe for version 8 also which leads me to think it's some sort of error. I searched the "infection" name at AVG's site but it did not find anything by the name of Luhe.Fiha.A.

My tmgss.exe file in v. 7 also has the date modified 13 Feb 2009 and the same 683,054 bytes size. Would this indicate that I am safe to keep these files? My v. 8 tmgss.exe file has the date modified as 4 Dec 2011 and is 808,716 bytes. Right now I'm ignoring AVG's request to remove it but I don't want to open TMG until I know for sure it's safe.

Pam

I have also had exactly the same error this morning. I'm running AVG 2012(free version), TMG v7.0, Win7 64bit.

My tmgss.exe date is 26Dec2007 size is 673,040

I checked a backup computer of mine that is running the same configuration and the second I accessed the TMG folder with this program I got the AVG virus warning.

I suspect the AVG is wrong.

I'm also thinking AVG is wrong but sure would like confirmation. I am very careful, don't click unknown links, down download anything except from reputable sites, keep my AVG updated, scan regularly, etc. I've never had any type of virus before and the fact that it's showing up in TMG on others' computers and only with AVG makes it seem as if it is a false alarm. Unfortunately I can't upload the file to AVG because I don't have permission and need to contact the file owner or administrator for permission. Don't know what permission I need since I'm running the computer as administrator and am the only one who's a user on this computer.

I just checked my netbook which hasn't been used in months. I have AVG 2011 on it. I had it scan the tmgss file and it showed it was okay. I then updated the virus definitions and it started picking up tmgss as a threat. I think it must be a false positive. I'm quite sure my netbook is clean.

I am not feeling so alone with my problem, I was alerted this morning when I had an avg warning as I went to go to a site for my card making. Thinking there was a problem immediately closed the page down, and thought I hadn't checked my virus vault for some time and should do so, thus finding the report I posted this morning. I just extended to keep messages from default 30 days to 60 days as well.

The current scan I am doing is picking up same virus in TMG6 and 7 updates which I have stored on my d drive.

"D:04 FAMILY HISTORYTMG 7TMG 7 & Updatestmg7xx702update.exe";"Found Luhe.Fiha.A"

"D:04 FAMILY HISTORYTMG 7TMG 7 & Updatestmg7xx703update.exe:unwise0026.bin";"Found Luhe.Fiha.A"

"D:04 FAMILY HISTORYTMG 7TMG 7 & Updatestmg7xx703update.exe";"Found Luhe.Fiha.A"

"D:04 FAMILY HISTORYTMG 6 Program stufftmg6.12setup.exe:unwise00f6.bin";"Found Luhe.Fiha.A"

"D:04 FAMILY HISTORYTMG 6 Program stufftmg6.12setup.exe";"Found Luhe.Fiha.A"

"D:04 FAMILY HISTORYTMG 7TMG 7 & Updatestmg7.01setup.exe:unwise0020.bin";"Found Luhe.Fiha.A"

"D:04 FAMILY HISTORYTMG 7TMG 7 & Updatestmg7.01setup.exe";"Found Luhe.Fiha.A"

"D:04 FAMILY HISTORYTMG 7TMG 7 & Updatestmg7setup.exe:unwise001f.bin";"Found Luhe.Fiha.A"

"D:04 FAMILY HISTORYTMG 7TMG 7 & Updatestmg7setup.exe";"Found Luhe.Fiha.A"

Now we know all these files are OK they have been around forever, I really dont need them on my computer either, just hording I guess.

There was also some of my card making .jpgs that were in my original list, those too I knew were OK and restored them so it will be interesting to see if they are repicked up.

http://www.threatremoval.com/uninstall-luhe-fiha-a-virus-manually-delete-luhe-fiha-a/

This site definitely has made me feel uncomfortable, I am just waiting now for the scan result.

Kay

The scan result was the same files in my d drive and my external j drive. They were not moved to the virus vault automaticly, wonder why? I now have restored the one in the vault. Running another scan

Kay

OK, so more and more are getting this. Is it time that Support took a look in to this?

I think it would be more useful to ask AVG to look into it. The TMG file seems innocent. I've scanned it with three other virus checkers. None report that it might be malware.

Robert

OK, so more and more are getting this. Is it time that Support took a look in to this?

No. Several more people running AVG (and only AVG) have encountered this. That should tell you something if it hasn't already. AVG has a long history of false positives.

I think it would be more useful to ask AVG to look into it. The TMG file seems innocent. I've scanned it with three other virus checkers. None report that it might be malware.

Robert

I hope you aren't running 3 virus checkers on one PC/laptop!! A sure fire memory killer!

No. Several more people running AVG (and only AVG) have encountered this. That should tell you something if it hasn't already. AVG has a long history of false positives.

Indeed - I've reported it to AVG

Robert

I hope you aren't running 3 virus checkers on one PC/laptop!! A sure fire memory killer!

No, no, one at a time. I normally use just Microsoft Security Essentials which -- so far at least -- has kept me out of trouble (knock wood!).

R.

Pam -

There is information on that virus on the AVG site here.

Virginia

Virginia,

The problem has reappeared with the latest version of AVG and a number of files in both the TMG v. 8

application and database folders. In addition to the slide show viewer, most of the ZIP archives of my databases on another drive are showing the same (false?) positive for Luhe.Fiha.A.

Note that the link you referenced in your message last April points to a message thread in which you posted a message with a link referring the users right back to this thread!

Also, there didn't seem to be any solutions in that thread, other than to report the problem to AVG tech support - which evidently has not worked, since the problem still exists.

I'll give it a try anyway. If all else fails, I'll set up an exclusion for the TMG applicaton/database directories and "assumed" that it's a false positive.

Happy Holidays!

Ron Niquette