Sign in to follow this  
ctyank

Writing Sourcing for UK Immigration and Travel

I have recently found a relative making the journey to the UK via the NY, USA. Not exactly an immigration or an emigration issue but as a temporary passenger and visitor. Wonder if you have found any of these and how you might have added it as a source for TMG. Since it is my first use of this I thought it might be prudent to add it correctly in TMG . Any ideas in the best way to write this. He is a grazier and travelling to the UK with his wife. I know I have not been terribly good at creating citations in the past!

Citation info from - Ancestry.com. UK Incoming Passenger Lists, 1878-1960 [database on-line]. Provo, UT, USA: Ancestry.com Operations Inc, 2008.

Original data: Board of Trade: Commercial and Statistical Department and successors: Inwards Passenger Lists. Kew, Surrey, England: The National Archives of the UK (TNA). Series BT26, 1,472 pieces.

Thanks CtYank

I think you are really asking two different questions:

• How to enter and cite the source, and
  • How to include the "trip" in the people's narrative.

For entering the source I would suggest a Source template for a passenger list, linked to a Repository of the on-line Ancestry.com database. Unless I thought I would have lots of such "trips" I would not create a custom Tag Type for this. I would probably just use an Anecdote tag with he and his wife as Principals, have the Memo describe the trip, and then cite the Source to this tag.

Hope this gives you ideas,

I have created a custom Source Type for Passenger Lists:

Full Footnote:

[iTAL:][sHIP NAME][:ITAL] [RECORD TYPE] [DATE], [TITLE], [AGENCY] Microfilm No. [FILM NUMBER], roll [ROLL]

Short Footnote:

[iTAL:][sHIP NAME][:ITAL], [sHORT TITLE].

Bibliography:

[TITLE]<. number>. [iTAL:][sHIP NAME][:ITAL] [DATE]. [AGENCY] Microfilm No. [FILM NUMBER], roll [ROLL].

Reminder:

Title - title of list, including port and time period if applicable

Record type - "arrival" or "departure"

Agency - name of archives

Date - date of arrival or departure

Record Number - include "Arrival No." or "Departure No."

Note that I disagree with Ancestry's recommended format and with Michael that Ancestry is the repository. In my view, Ancestry is a glorified copy machine, providing a copy of record from the archives where the original resides. As such, they merit nothing more than a mention in the Comments field: "image found on Ancestry.com"

But don't actually enter the archives as a repository in this Source Type, but in the Agency element in the Source Definition - either method works.

I agree with Michael that probably the best way to enter a trip like this is in an Anecdote or Note Tag. If this were a case of the family immigrating instead of on a vacation trip, I'd enter it in an Immigration Tag.

Thanks Terry,

Both you and Michael offered good ideas. I like your source option and that it would be used, in my case, as an anecdote tag. Thanks for taking the time to answer the question.

Ct Yank