Kay Schmidt

Moving to V8 on new computer

After reading through numerous posts here and on the TMG-L Archives, I think it might be easier to ask my specific questions. Here's my situation:

* I am using v7.4 on my old computer and still have some v6 projects that have not been upgraded.

* I would like to install v8.2 on my new computer and have a gift certificate with a Dec 31 2011 expiration date (I was told it would still apply when I went to v8).

Should I reinstall v7.4 on the new machine? And if so, how?

Should I download the 30-trial or buy the regular version V8.2?

What is the procedure for getting projects from the earlier versions into v8?

Feeling overwhelmed. Thanks for your help.

KayS

> Should I reinstall v7.4 on the new machine? And if so, how?

That's up to you. The v7.04 installer is here:

www.whollygenes.com/files/tmg7setup.exe

Should I download the 30-trial or buy the regular version V8.2?

There's no difference. Same installer. Same program.

You just need to buy the license for TMG8. Where you download the installer from makes no difference.

What is the procedure for getting projects from the earlier versions into v8?

Restore your TMG6 and TMG7 backups to TMG8.

If your exhibits are in a custom location, you can continue to use those exhibits in that location. In this case, there is no point in backing up and restoring the exhibits.

If your exhibits are in a tree, absolutely do NOT backup and restore them.

Feeling overwhelmed.

Why? You won't be doing anything different than you have been doing with TMG7. The main difference is that the program and data folders will be in new locations.

Kay,

If the new computer is using Windows 7 64 bit version, then you absolutely should upgrade to version 8.2, as you will have trouble trying to print any reports with TMG7.4 on a 64 bit machine. You can install 7.4 on the new machine, assuming the you have the CD or the installation file saved somewhere, as it is no longer listed on the Wholly Genes site as far as I know. Then you would need your registration information to re-enter and get the installation unlocked.

It's up top you if you should try before you buy, keep in mind that certain features may not be unlocked in the 30 day trail version.

As to getting projects from ealier versions of TMG, you would perform the "File"; "Restore" function. There are some differences in restoring from earlier version projects, such as:

Your Preferences / Program Options settings are not transferred to TMG v8 when you restore a TMG v5/6/7 backup. These settings are contained in the app.ini file. Please do not copy your TMG v5/6/7 app.ini file to TMG v8.

You will lose three types of settings that were stored in the TMG v5/6/7 app.ini file:

· Custom style settings from the Preferences / Program Options / Custom Styles tab

· Text macro settings

·

Tools / External Utilities settings

Hope this helps

Thanks Jim and Dave. Hopefully all will go smoothly and I won't have to post again or call support.

KayS

Kay -

The 30-day trial version is the complete program - same as you get when you download it from the WG store.

If you do not have your v7 registration handy, you can find it in the trouble report file in v7 (Help / Technical Support / Trouble Report button).

Virginia

Thanks, Virginia. That worked. I've downloaded both v7 and v8, brought in my main project, and everything seems OK in both versions. Had errors the first time I tried to restore in v7, but think the problem was either with file locations or some of the configuration details. The second time worked. All relatively painless. Yay!

KayS