KathleenC

Exporting GEDCOM

I've been trying to export a section of my project as a gedcom file. I created a focus group, then exported that to a new dataset. Using the export feature, I created the gedcom, including only birth, marriage and death events - no sources or notes, etc.. When I open the gedcom, I get all my census "people" (I am seriously regretting setting my census events up that way!).

How can I exclude these "people?" They do not show up as events and they are not in my focus groups, but still appear in the gedcom. ????

Kathleen -

Do your census people have a common surname like 'Census' so you could filter the Project Explorer or use a List of People to exclude them from the focus group? Some users create a flag - like P for pseudo people and R for real people to make it easier to filter out the non-people.

Virginia

As Virginia said... If you are using a Focus Group to specify the people who should be exported, don't add the census people to the focus group. Or, if they Have a common name, remove them from the Focus Group before exporting.

Jim and Virginia,

That is the problem - they don't show up in the focus group, but are there when I import the gedcom to another program as a test. Does the gedcom take on all the aspects of the project, even though I have excluded those tags and pseudo-people? I created the focus group as ancestors of myself plus spouses and it seems ok when I look at it - not a census to be seen.

Kathleen

Edited by KathleenC

It sounds like you are not selecting Focus Group or the correct focus group on 'Step 4: Export what people' when you run the Export Wizard.

Thanks, Jim. Somehow, even though the focus group had a unique name in the Focus Group window, it wasn't showing up in the selection list. Probably my error in some way, but deleting everything and starting again fixed it.