Sign in to follow this  
beetle3247

Different Sources for Date and Location on Tag?

Sometimes your find a source that verifies a date, such as a birth date (i.e. 1900 census), or death date (i.e. SSDN) and sometimes you find a source that verifies a location, such as birth or death county/state. How can you differentiate these sources when there is only one tag (i.e. birth or death, etc.)? I've been adding the sources to the same tag, but it does seem wrong.

Adding multiple citations to a tag, each of which contributes different information to the tag, is a perfectly normal practice.

You can differentiate citations in a crude manner by using the surety options. You can also add notes to the Citation Detail to record what data came from a particular source.

When I have citations in a tag that don't all support everything recorded in the tag, I put notes in the CD to note what each source supports. Like "shows age 12 and state," "shows date," "shows city and state," or whatever.

I don't find sureties sufficient for this because there is no way to include them in output in any understandable way. But I do use them so I can see at a glance in the Tag Entry screen which sources provided which data elements.

First, I find that explanations in the citation detail are sufficient to differentiate for my purposes, and are the most common practice. But if you have a defined need to have specific citations within the narrative on the date and/or locations (perhaps due to the requirements of a specific publication format), TMG does have a mechanism to do this more advanced action. It is called an "embedded" citation. Within a tag memo or a tag sentence definition, you can define and force an embedded citation at a specific point in that tag's narrative output, e.g. after the date. For details on this feature, see the TMG HELP in the topic "Citation", and scroll to the subtopic at the very bottom. While I think this is more work than it is worth for me, at least TMG does have this feature if you need it.

Thanks to all for the helpful hints. It appears that this is a "problem" that has not yet been "solved". I will institute the idea of adding a comment/note in the source item, which appears to be the easiest solution at this time.

You can add a comment to the source using the Comments field on the Source Definition Screen / Supplemental tab. And include the comments in the footnotes/endnotes by adding the [Comments] token to the source templates.

There are many ways to do things in TMG and you just need to find what fits your needs best.

Thanks to all for the helpful hints. It appears that this is a "problem" that has not yet been "solved". I will institute the idea of adding a comment/note in the source item, which appears to be the easiest solution at this time.

I'm confused. What is the problem that's not been solved?